Belly Fat

Options
Does anybody know an effective way of losing belly fat?

I have always had an odd shape--- I gain weight in my stomach, face, and chest but have small arms and legs. When I weighed 135 lbs, it was not such a big deal (even though I still had a belly) but once I was at 178, I looked pregnant.

Now I am at 164. I want to continue losing weight but make sure I lose it in my belly, too. I am hoping that working out for the first time in my life will help with that.

Any advice?

Replies

• Koreapsu
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat.

You might want to try some abdominal exercises to tone what's underneath but when it comes down to it you just need to reduce overall bodyfat to make a difference.

We all have the areas that hold onto fat a while, it'd be lovely to be able to lose the fat just where you wanted it :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    What I learned in my journey is, 'first on, last off' when it comes to fat.

I got it 1st in the tummy, then thighs, then it worked its 40 pounds out to the limbs.

I have lost the exact same way. my tummy and thighs are fighting the loss of the addl fat and I am at war with them!!

I cut down on sugar and white carbs.....bread, pizza, sweets, pasta. I have seen a difference since cutting down on these things and eating no carbs after 5 pm.

It takes time...........good luck:flowerforyou:
  • butterfly25
    butterfly25 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i got that to and i hate it and when i put weight on :devil: it always goes there...:explode: :mad:
  • jaxterbom
    Options
    Personally, I'm gonna keep dieting until I don't see it anymore. :grumble:

Hank

40 down
    27 to go
  • AmandaB4588
    Options
    That is wonderful! Keep up the good work.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Yep, it sux. Your body does what it wants. I've lost 60 pounds, I have veiny arms, defined abs,,, and a double chin. :grumble:

It'll go, it's just keeping you honest. You gotta lose it all to lose it all...
  • AmandaB4588
    Options
    Thanks, everybody! It is nice to know that I am not alone with this issue. I have always felt very insecure and awkward about my body.

Now do any of you ladies know anything about losing the belly but keeping the girls??
  • TheAlmightyAmy
    Options
    I have no idea if this will work for you or not, but I've been jogging/running. My waistline is going down, but the girls are staying right there where they're at. Not exactly the results I wanted because of back issues, but I've dropped a pants size and have not had any changes to my bust. Try looking up cleavage workouts. Even if you lose them, you'll still look perky...kind of...
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if this is effective or not as it is new but...Beachbody (the folks behind P90X, Slim in 6, Turbo Jam, Chalean Extreme...) have a new diet/workout program called "Rev Abs". I know it starts w/a 14 day special diet to really target ab fat & then its a 90 day program that you follow to "fire up your abs". It tells you what workouts to do on what days, etc.(The workout dvds come w/it) It is for all fitness levels. Like I mentioned, I haven't done it but you may want to check out the Beachbody website and decide if maybe its right for you?????? I think many people feel your pain. I've been saying I can't get a "6-pack" I seem to be stuck with a "2-pack & a 40"!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if this is effective or not as it is new but...Beachbody (the folks behind P90X, Slim in 6, Turbo Jam, Chalean Extreme...) have a new diet/workout program called "Rev Abs". I know it starts w/a 14 day special diet to really target ab fat & then its a 90 day program that you follow to "fire up your abs". It tells you what workouts to do on what days, etc.(The workout dvds come w/it) It is for all fitness levels. Like I mentioned, I haven't done it but you may want to check out the Beachbody website and decide if maybe its right for you?????? I think many people feel your pain. I've been saying I can't get a "6-pack" I seem to be stuck with a "2-pack & a 40"!

You can't target fat loss, plain and simple. What you CAN do is adjust your diet so that you aren't overeating the types of food that trigger hormonal responses that lead to fat storage.

the human body has a sort of "map" of best places to store fat, places it feels are the most out of the way of other things, or where the fat "may" do some good. The stomach is one place, close to the center of gravity, so it doesn't make you top or bottom heavy (better balance), not in the way of any major arteries, a place where the padding may do some good (I guess).
    Certain foods contain enzymes and chemicals that trigger cortisol release and HGH and Testosterone suppresion, this hormone will trigger fat storage. It's not dramatic though (the fat storage increase). Even if you do eat these foods, if you maintain a moderate exercise routine you probably won't gain any or much body fat (assuming you aren't overeating in general).

Conversly, trying to lose fat by eating only certain foods is difficult as well, and slow going. The body doesn't like giving up fat stores, it considers them it's 401K plan or, maybe more like a rainy day fund. So you have to actually trick your body into thinking it needs to use this fat, without sending the signals that you're starving. You do this by moderate to heavy exercise coupled with ENOUGH food to make your body feel like it's safe to use those stores. This is the crux of healthy weight loss. This is why you can't just eat nothing and still lose fat in a healthy way. Eat too little, burn muscle, eat too much, no fat burn..
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options

You can't target fat loss, plain and simple. What you CAN do is adjust your diet so that you aren't overeating the types of food that trigger hormonal responses that lead to fat storage.

the human body has a sort of "map" of best places to store fat, places it feels are the most out of the way of other things, or where the fat "may" do some good. The stomach is one place, close to the center of gravity, so it doesn't make you top or bottom heavy (better balance), not in the way of any major arteries, a place where the padding may do some good (I guess).
    Certain foods contain enzymes and chemicals that trigger cortisol release and HGH and Testosterone suppresion, this hormone will trigger fat storage. It's not dramatic though (the fat storage increase). Even if you do eat these foods, if you maintain a moderate exercise routine you probably won't gain any or much body fat (assuming you aren't overeating in general).

Conversly, trying to lose fat by eating only certain foods is difficult as well, and slow going. The body doesn't like giving up fat stores, it considers them it's 401K plan or, maybe more like a rainy day fund. So you have to actually trick your body into thinking it needs to use this fat, without sending the signals that you're starving. You do this by moderate to heavy exercise coupled with ENOUGH food to make your body feel like it's safe to use those stores. This is the crux of healthy weight loss. This is why you can't just eat nothing and still lose fat in a healthy way. Eat too little, burn muscle, eat too much, no fat burn..

Like I said, I haven't checked it out, so I don't know what it says it can do for someone exactly. Maybe the words "target ab fat" were wrong to use...I don't analyze my word choices that much I guess (maybe I should)...guess I should've said "targets ab bloating" but I don't really know what the program claims which is why I suggest to check it out & see if its right for them...