Are saunas beneficial?

Options
Hi! My fitness club has a sauna in the shower room. I've never gotten in it because I don't understand if there are any benefits or not. Are saunas just for relaxation? Is there any benefit to sitting in a sauna besides perspiration?

Replies

• chrisrollins1
    Options
    “All in all, saunas appear safe for the body, but there is little evidence that they have health benefits above and beyond relaxation and a feeling of well-being,” says Dr. Harvey Simon, editor-in-chief of Harvard Men’s Health Watch.
  • PtBill
    PtBill Posts: 12
    Options
    :smile: Agreed. The release of toxins from the body and homiostasis.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    isnt relaxation after a tough workout enough of a reason??

it is for me :laugh:
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    And relaxation decreases stress. Stress releases cortisol, which makes weight loss harder. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    :smile: Agreed. The release of toxins from the body and homiostasis.
    What toxins?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia, and after working out I HURT!!! SO BAD!!!! The heat from the sauna helps me with the pain and keeps me from the immense pain that I would "normally" feel without it. That and my heart rate stays up there with my workout rate, so that is a bonus. I don't log it, but I figure it is "gravy" if it "really" burns cals!
  • queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have wanted to but never make the time after my workout. I probably should. I used to do it all the time.