Protein Shakes for Weight Gain Advice please

Options
MinkyMoo13
MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
My Husband is 'just' within his healthy BMI he has been under weight for years. With my help ( :laugh: ) he's now pursing a healthy life style and looking to do weights and put on weight. He was looking at some protein shakes on MyProtein.com but is unsure of which to start with..

I'm starting on the Impact Whey Isolate which was recommended to me..

Any advice for him please?

Replies

• MinkyMoo13
    Options
    bump
  • Urzu07
    Urzu07 Posts: 39
    Options
    The beauty with protein shakes is that it is completely up to the consumer as to what to add in for the protein shake, especially for gaining weight. Any protein powder will be fine, and it's even better that you and/or your husband are choosing whey protein isolate. There are three different types of protein out there: concentrate, isolate, and hydrolyzed protein. At the end of each day, protein is protein, and saving money is more important than trying to get the "best" protein source out there.

With that being said, if you and/or your husband are aiming to gain weight, then with the protein shakes, you can add in 1-2 bananas, a big scoop of natural peanut butter, different fruits, etc. The choices are completely up to you. General rule for gaining weight also: you must consume more calories than you burn each day, and be in a caloric surplus as well.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I wish I had his problem..... Protein shakes are usually not high calorie. There are a line of "weigh gainers" or "mass builders" that are going to have the prtotein plus more calories via added fats or sugars, which he needs. Alternately he can mix his shakes with whole milk. As mentioned adding nut butters are an excellent way to get your calorie count up.
  • brianchi
    brianchi Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am in the same position. I am trying to add weight, but I was told the body can only take on so much protein at once - then it turns to fat.

I have been mixing two scoops of whey protein into a shake every day. Should I only be using one scoop?

I run for about 30 minutes a day and lift for 50-60 minutes. Along with active lifestyle after work - coaching baseball, golf, etc. So I burn a lot of calories a day.

Just wondering if I am doing any good by taking an extra scoop or if it just creating more fat. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • jillyjelly
    jillyjelly Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    try boost -
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    It's not exactly healthy I suppose but I dump ice cream into mine.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I am in the same position. I am trying to add weight, but I was told the body can only take on so much protein at once - then it turns to fat.

You were told wrong. This is utterly false.
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options

That's hot.
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    i make my own protein bars with whey, rolled oats, almondbutter, eggwhites and nuts (and water, you could use whole milk). Yummy, easy, portable, and more cals than just protein shakes.
  • goatrider27
    Options
    Upping the protein is key, but only if his muscles are worked every other day. I'd suggest after a healthy weight training session, take in a good amount of protein (I usually scarf down 2 cans of tuna) within in an hour. The protein will begin repairing the torn muscle tissue which is a good thing. Otherwise, the muscle will burn just like fat and he will lose it. Protein is a must! I think around 80 grams a day is average for a male. I usually take in twice that much along with weight training. Hope that helps. :)
  • mrob81
    mrob81 Posts: 36
    Options
    All of the advice given is great. if your husband wants to know which protein to purchase, I personally recommend Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard 100% whey. BCAA's are added, and it does not contain much sugar or anything else besides protein. The price is average and it is great for mixing in other healthy ingredients to help pack on the muscle.
  • brianchi
    brianchi Posts: 71 Member
    Options

You were told wrong. This is utterly false.

Thanks! I spoke to three other personal trainers today and told me the same thing. Good to know.
  • MinkyMoo13
    Options

That's hot.

Yea i like this idea :smile:
  • MinkyMoo13
    Options
    The beauty with protein shakes is that it is completely up to the consumer as to what to add in for the protein shake, especially for gaining weight. Any protein powder will be fine, and it's even better that you and/or your husband are choosing whey protein isolate. There are three different types of protein out there: concentrate, isolate, and hydrolyzed protein. At the end of each day, protein is protein, and saving money is more important than trying to get the "best" protein source out there.

With that being said, if you and/or your husband are aiming to gain weight, then with the protein shakes, you can add in 1-2 bananas, a big scoop of natural peanut butter, different fruits, etc. The choices are completely up to you. General rule for gaining weight also: you must consume more calories than you burn each day, and be in a caloric surplus as well.

I agree with the person i am quoting, For my shakes for high calories I do 2 scoops chocolate protein, 1 banana, 2 cups milk, 2tbs peanut butter. Comes out to about 1,200 calories.

He can drink all the protein shakes he wants, but if he's not in a calorie surplus he won't gain.

Thanks guys this is good advice. He wants to make sure he gains more muscle than fat really hence the protein shakes
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    There are a variety of protein shakes/powder that one can choose from, its all up to them.
  • MinkyMoo13
    Options
    Also - He can't have Peanut butter.. to add cals to it..
  • dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Options

I agree with the person i am quoting, For my shakes for high calories I do 2 scoops chocolate protein, 1 banana, 2 cups milk, 2tbs peanut butter. Comes out to about 1,200 calories.

He can drink all the protein shakes he wants, but if he's not in a calorie surplus he won't gain.

Thanks guys this is good advice. He wants to make sure he gains more muscle than fat really hence the protein shakes

Just by taking in protein shakes does not mean he won't gain fat at a caloric surplus. To build Lean muscle with as little fat as possible, he needs to find his maintenance calories and then up it by around 300 atleast if he's lifting for an hour. If he finds he's putting on more fat than he'd like, either cut down 100 calories and see how that goes or start doing 15-20 mins of cardio every other day.
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    hubby is in the same boat, trying to gain after years of being a twig, he has great upper body muscle from working in a produce warehouse all day but burns it soo fast, he's at around 5000 cals a day and is not himself on anything less (we tried the temp starvation mode to reset, it was worse than trying to quit smoking!) so now he eats my healthier meals with me just more of it, and he has two shakes (body fortress) one scoop each with milk, eats a banana, sun rype fruit bar as snacks. the added protein (we found out he wasnt getting enough, like less than i was on a ratio scale!!) has helped to build up some more muscle and we're starting to see definition after almost a month of this. also pb&j bedtime snack instead of cookies!
  • MinkyMoo13
    Options
    At the mo he'll have porridge for breakfast.. whatever he wants for lunch whether it's fry up, salad, sandwich whatever and a healthy tea like fish, veg and potatoes or home made chilli or spag bol.. He's eating above his recommended cals and is very slowly putting on weight.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I would personally advice more carbs within the diet than proteins if he wants to gain weight/ putting mass on.

As for the proteins, yes Optimum Nutrition 100% is cheap and it has one of the most interesting profile among the other whey isolate powders :-)