Your "Aha! Time for a change" moment?

Options
Last night I went to a baseball game. Beforehand we stopped at a bar for a drink. While trying to order at the packed bar, I leaned in beside a tiny waif of a thing sitting on a stool. She turned around, looked me up and down, and gave me the most disgusted, repulsed face I've ever seen and literally scooted her stool away from me. Then, while at the game, a man and wife literally argued about who had to sit beside me in the stands. I bathe daily so I have to assume its my weight. Its time for a change.

What was your moment?

Replies

• SMJ1987
    SMJ1987 Posts: 368
    Options
    Wow. What jerks...I can't imagine anyone not wanting to sit beside you, you look so cute in your pics (as does your little one).

Mine was when I was working as a bartender. I had a regular who used to come in at happy hour, a nice guy in his late 50s who would always keep me entertained when it was slow. One day he said to me, in a serious and concerned way, "What's going on with you? When you first started working here you looked like a centrefold". Ouch. While I was really upset at the time, and he probably could have been more tactful, it was just what I needed to get my butt in gear and I lost 30-35 lbs in the next 4 months.
  • birdshoup
    birdshoup Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow. What jerks...I can't imagine anyone not wanting to sit beside you, you look so cute in your pics (as does your little one).

Mine was when I was working as a bartender. I had a regular who used to come in at happy hour, a nice guy in his late 50s who would always keep me entertained when it was slow. One day he said to me, in a serious and concerned way, "What's going on with you? When you first started working here you looked like a centrefold". Ouch. While I was really upset at the time, and he probably could have been more tactful, it was just what I needed to get my butt in gear and I lost 30-35 lbs in the next 4 months.

Its tough hearing something like that, but look at the results that it got you! I'm hoping that this stays with me enough to keep me determined to lose.
  • birdshoup
    Options
    Bump
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Well I have been trying to lose since I was in college. I gained about 20 lbs one semester freshman year. Two years ago I went to the doctors and I ballooned to 236. I looked at pictures, and I didn't like what I saw. I hate how it crept up on me even when I was trying to lose for YEARS! However, school and work and living on the run killed my body. Last year I had enough. I was graduating with my masters last spring, and I wanted to look good. I end up losing about 10 lbs my last semester of graduate school. I am now down 45 lbs since a year and a half ago.
  • birdshoup
    Options
    Well I have been trying to lose since I was in college. I gained about 20 lbs one semester freshman year. Two years ago I went to the doctors and I ballooned to 236. I looked at pictures, and I didn't like what I saw. I hate how it crept up on me even when I was trying to lose for YEARS! However, school and work and living on the run killed my body. Last year I had enough. I was graduating with my masters last spring, and I wanted to look good. I end up losing about 10 lbs my last semester of graduate school. I am now down 45 lbs since a year and a half ago.

That's awesome! I can't wait until I can have a success story like that.
  • birdshoup
    Options
    :yawn:
  • sjackson7707
    sjackson7707 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    While, grocery shopping with my hubby and 15 month old son I ran into an old friend that I hadn't seen since high school... We exchanged small talk and as we were wrapping up the conversation she made a comment about how I would have my hands full having my kids so close together as she was looking at my still pregnant looking belly... I was horrified! She quickly caught on and realized that I wasn't pregnant again by the stunned look on my face... :/
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    My aha moment was going to the mall and bobbing and weaving in and out of stores because they were not my size. I got a pair of jeans at Forever 21 for 18.50 The rack was practically hidden in the corner . When I got in line I saw that they same jeans in smaller sizes but there was a very nice display in different cupboards and a huge sign that said " $10!!"
  • r3ban1x
    r3ban1x Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I work in a bar where my looks are crucial to my tips and my tips have gone down significantly the last few years. Comparing a photo from 10 years ago to pictures I've taken the last 2 years really shows the extra 25 lbs and I'm just embarassed every time I go to work now but can't quit yet b/c the money is still good and I need the flexible hours.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Mine was looking at holiday photos from Christmas 2010.
    So, like lots of years before I made a new year's resolution to lose weight. The difference was that this time I did it!
  • Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
    I had no aha moment. I just finally got my head together and found enough time to do. It took a long time to get to this point. First I had to love myself no matter what size I am.
  • nazashi
    nazashi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Mine was when my husband(he's 38) was diagnosed with diabetes!
    I knew then this was not just about looks or vanity anymore! We both
    have really changed our lifestyle and am so happy and proud that my
    husband's blood results are now normal!!
  • Dipmom
    Dipmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Realizing that my belly stuck out further than my boobs. Not the look I am going for.
  • KittenDeAvaric
    Options
    My back decided to rebel in a most painful manner and I thought "Ya know, this could still happen if I wasn't carrying the extra weight, but it'd be a helluva lot less likely." While I was healing, that was followed by a lot of other deep thinking on why I didn't like my excess weight and now I'm here. :happy:
  • NoSharpei
    NoSharpei Posts: 73
    Options
    Realizing that my belly stuck out further than my boobs. Not the look I am going for.

I laughed when I read this! So funny! .... mine was looking at photos of my son's engagement party, and realising I was the largest person there. (Also, I got dressed up and thought I looked pretty. Sadly, I didn't!) I am determined NOT to be the biggest person at my son's wedding!!
  • ployjoy
    ployjoy Posts: 45
    Options
    I had been discontent with my weight for a while. But my turning point was when I joined my friend for an impromptu "photoshoot" she was putting on with two other friends of mine. She wanted us to dress "sexy". So I wore one of my favorite shirts (it is still one of my favorite shirts).These two other friends are naturally thin and quite beautiful. So my friend started to take their pictures and then my turn came and my friend just.. simply had no idea how to take pictures of me. Granted, I was pretty chubby, but compared to the two other women there I was very large. She had now idea what to do with me, kept pulling down my shirt and said, "don't want anyone to see that tummy, huh?". Oh geez. She meant it in a nice way, but I was super embarrassed and ashamed. I'm a more confident person now, so bring on the camera's I'm ready for ya!