Workout question...please help.

Options
knwitall
knwitall Posts: 420 Member
I just started the 30 day shred and let me tell ya that every muscle in my body hurts. But i was wanting to know is ... ive gained a few pounds since working out. (4 lbs) and i just wanted to make sure this was normal? I know muscle weights more than fat but its freaking me out. Also would like to know about how long before the scales start going back down? And yes im staying under my calories.

Replies

• 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough? Are you getting enough protien, vitamins and minerals to help your body recover? Is it the time of the month? There are so many factors that could cause an increase on the scales.
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat but 1lb of muscles takes up less space than 1lb of fat so if you are sticking to your calorie goals you are saying you have gained more than 4lbs of muscle which would be starting to show in a different way (clothes looser etc)
    I imagine that your best bet is to keep going with the 30DS but take measurements to see a loss. Stick to your calorie limit but not under. You simply may need to eat a bit more.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    It is not muscle gain. You cannot put on muscle, especially 4lbs of lean muscle mass in a short time. In a deficit makes it merely impossible. It is more than likely water retention which happens with working out and is temporary. Also there could be other factors at play here; are you weighing yourself at the right time or are you sparatic with it?
  • PuffedMummy
    Options
    I took up running about 6 months ago and am now starting to put in some long distances for a marathon. Anyhoo. Following last weekend's 10 miler (yay me!) I miraculously put on 2 lbs the next day. I was really dispirited, then read and confirmed with my sports maseur that you routinely store water after a heavy workout - sometimes for a few days.

I'm told by those who know these things that because when you work out you creat micro tears in the muscle (don't worry, this is the normal process by which muscles work and get stronger) your body will store water as part of the repair process. This is another reason why it's good to eat protein / have a recovery protein drink after intensive workout.

I do a long run at the weekend and find by tuesday I've seen the small weightloss I would expect taking the whole week into account.

Hope this helps.

PM.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You're retaining water and other good stuff needed for muscle repair. Trust the process and don't get hung up on the scale. Take measurements and pictures regularly. How fast it comes off is going to be up to your body.
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Yea it's must be retaining water because the scales are going back down to where it was when i started. Thanks for reassuring me that this isnt to last.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    yes normal
    when I'm sore my muscles retain up to 5 lbs of water. Once you have break (fe 3 days without working out) it will go away