Body of a mother

Options
Hi, I had a 12pound baby and thus have a lot of excess baggy type skin in the belly region. Is there something that I can do to tighten this without surgery? I look horrible now (lost 14kgs), the same as I did when I was heavier due to this belly problem. Is it just time and workouts that will fix it? or is it like what I have been told in the past that its irrepairable? I would love to look good in my new skinnier clothes. TIA

Replies

• charliecat39
    Options
    Hi. I have a similar problem. My Son was 10lb 3 and I also lost 7 stone about 7 years ago and have a baggy stomach, its not like some you see on TV, but I still hate it. I haven't found anything to shift it yet. I sometimes wear the figure hugging underwear if I want to wear a nice dress or something!

Would be interesting to hear if there is a better solution though!
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Had a c section and I have found lots of water and core tightening exercise has helped....
  • kkalanquin
    kkalanquin Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I don't have an answer but I'm in the same boat. Both of my boys were over 9 lbs and seemed to just get huge at the end so I have a lot of extra skin around the belly button area and it just looks bad. I had a doctor tell me that plastic surgery was my only option. I'm not against it but I would prefer something safer first. I would love to hear how other moms were able to overcome the tummy issue.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    exercise tightens the muscle underneath but not the skin.
    the only thing that made any difference for me is a derma roller,
    but it's time consuming, takes months to work and is painful.
  • ashshields12
    ashshields12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    the only thing that made any difference for me is a derma roller

Whats a derma roller?
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    the only thing that made any difference for me is a derma roller

Whats a derma roller?
    http://www.derma-rollers.com/24/derma-roller-faqs?gclid=CIfA46S_yLACFU4lfAodhU3vWw

a rather barbaric looking torture device.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The derma-roller is used to stimulate collagen production. I can't find it now, but I read something just a couple of weeks ago that suggested a combination of core strengthening exercises (to tighten muscles), brushing w/ a soft bristle brush and/or massaging the area, super moisturizing (inside and out), and a diet higher in protein--- especially COLLAGEN. Doing these things (which, w/ the exception of brushing/massaging, we should all be doing anyway), along w/ taking a collagen supplement, should tighten up the skin, and will be a lot less painful than the derma-roller. This is what I've been doing for a couple of months anyway (even before I read the article, because I'd picked up bits & pieces along the way), and I have to say it's working great. I still have some belly FAT to lose, but not seeing any of the sagging skin issues -- even after five kids!
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    a lot of skin sag is down to skin type. some people are more fortunate than others.

massage, brushing, creams & exercise did nothing at all for me.
    the roller is one of the few non-surgical, medically proven ways.
    if all else fails, it's certainly worth a bit of sunburn like stinging.
  • donnabirch123
    Options
    i have the worst stretch marks and loose skin, its a genetic thing, i had bad stretch marks before having a baby, after reading this thread i have brought a derma roller, and have used it twice now, and i think i already see an improvement, so i will keep using it every other day for a month and post a topic if its any good, i got the 1.5mm and its not that bad pain wise
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    stretched skin will not go back. I've lost 44 so far and standing my stomach looks great! Tummy bulge is gone and the droopiness is finally gone. Crunches did help pull everything up and in. However, I have a moderate amount of stretch marks right in the middle and when I'm on hands and knees there is a pouch of skin than hangs like an empty bag. I've decided I don't want a tummy tuck. I've looked at a lot of post op pics online and I really don't think my pouch is bad enough to go through surgery for. Even post surgery it will never look like it did before you had babies. I'm happy with what weight loss and exercise has done. Still might get my breasts done eventually.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I think there are over the counter skin firming lotions.... might help a little.