Options
christynek
christynek Posts: 152 Member
Anyone had any problems with it?

Replies

• Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Been using an IUD for over 10 years now. Never had any problems other than the last time I needed a replacement the Dr discovered the previous Dr had cut the 'string' too short!:noway: :grumble:
  • mblaylock980
    Options
    I love it! Never any issues and I never get a period either.... I have had it for 3 years so far..will never go back to anything else. No pain, no hormones, no side effects, no weight fluctuations ect... and no worries!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I had the Paraguard IUD for a few years. I got it taken out about a year ago when I got my tubes tied.

Overall I liked it. The cramps and flow were MUCH heavier than when I was on BCP. I would do it again though because I didn't like the pill at all.
  • dezi718
    dezi718 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena. This is my second one and I love it. First 6 months I had some side effects (hair falling out, acne), but after that It's been great...No TOM for me!! :happy:
  • wellingfamily507
    wellingfamily507 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have had mine 5 years in August, so mine has to come out this year, but I have LOVED it, no periods, no side effects here, however I have to go in and have it removed because it is inserted a little to high and again it has a very short string, so they have to do an ultrasound to first to locate it, and remove it....
  • jenndelgado
    jenndelgado Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I tried it once but couldn't continue my uterus was too wide (probably because of my daughter) it wouldn't stay in place and kept falling out so they had to take it out.
  • nibblypig
    nibblypig Posts: 27
    Options
    I had the Minera fitted a year ago and I love it but I have noticed the weight creeping on, but as long as I do something about it now before it gets too much, I should be ok :)
  • ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've never been pregnant and I'm young, so my doctor wasn't jumping all over the IUD with me, but I knew it was what I wanted. I took an aspirin an hour before I had it put in, and apart from some cramping didn't find the experience too painful. My cramps are worse, my periods were heavier for about a year, but overall I've had a positive experience with it.
  • NelehY
    NelehY Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Have been using Mirenas for about 16 years - completely changed my life for the better!
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm on the depo injection (for really heavy periods and pain) but he's trying to get me off it. he did suggest the IUD but I've been finiding some very conflicting info plus stories of the 'strings' being too low and falling out etc. Any advice/experience would be helpful for this decision :)

Debbie
  • athminbri
    athminbri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had one put in after I had my daughter. I loved most it most of the time. My flow was lighter. I had virtually no cramps at all. After about a year and a half, I had it taken out because I was getting bacterial vaginosis almost constantly. I had never had a problem before that. The doctor couldn't explain why I was getting it so often. Since taking it out, I still get bacterial vaginosis but not near as often. Also, my husband claimed he could feel the string poking him when we had sex.

Connie
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Had mirena for about 7 years now. No TOM for me, which is great & don't seem to have had any issues with it. Was a bit traumatic having it put in (& taken out) but that is once every five years!
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Been using an IUD for over 10 years now. Never had any problems other than the last time I needed a replacement the Dr discovered the previous Dr had cut the 'string' too short!:noway: :grumble:

my string was cut too short! I need to get it changed not looking forward to them trying to fish it out! :grumble:
  • rwinnie2
    rwinnie2 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Had several over almost twenty years
    The traditional sort first no hormones, but as I'm rubbish at even getting through a course of antibiotics it was the only way to go.
    Had them taken out each time I wanted to get pregnant and never had an issue. Later went on to the mariva with the hormones I now get a period about once every three months which if I'm unlucky might last the whole day.

My husband had a vasectomy last year so I said goodby for about six months, I forgot how bad my pmt was and hated dealing with periods so I got them to put it back in.

Only drawbacks is it is uncomfortable to have them fitted, you can get tummy cramps for a few months (only if your really unlucky) and of course you also need to see a doctor to have it removed.

That said I love mine and it change my world for the better.
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm on the depo injection (for really heavy periods and pain) but he's trying to get me off it. he did suggest the IUD but I've been finiding some very conflicting info plus stories of the 'strings' being too low and falling out etc. Any advice/experience would be helpful for this decision :)

Debbie

I came off the depo lost a stone! lol I had mine for years...never had any bleeding or cramps till now but thats as it does need replacing. It never fell out eitther which is a plus! Stings like a ***** though when you get it inserted!! :flowerforyou:
  • rcbeck99
    rcbeck99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had my first one after my first son was born. I loved it! No side effects and a virtually non-existant period. When we decided to have another child, it came out easily. I had another put in after our second son was born and again no problems. I had it removed last fall because we decided to try for a third child and again it came out easily. However since then life has thrown us some curve balls and we decided it would be best to wait for now so I got on the pill. This is my first time ever using the pill and I have mixed emotions about it. The first set I was on made me very moody/irritable/emotional and so my Dr recently switched me to a different pill. Just started it so I am hoping it solves the problem. I will be getting the IUD again though if it doesn't.
  • christynek
    christynek Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Alright, that's so awesome, glad people responded. Got mine a few months ago,

Question though, I think when I go to check the strings and I can at least feel one (they said they often wrap around and feel like one instead of two)... but I swear there is kind of a lump there that didn't used to be? I mean I don't normally explore so maybe I am wrong and it doesn't hurt or anything at all. Idk, anyone heard of this?
  • rwinnie2
    rwinnie2 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If your concerned get it checked out that said you wouldent nomaly explore in so much detail so it may be nothing, but get checked out anyway better to be told your normal and go away than ignore something you shouldn't have
  • paulsmisses
    paulsmisses Posts: 178
    Options
    Anyone had any problems with it?

i had an absolute nightmare with it - bled for 6 months straight while the doc kept saying 'give it time to settle' and eventually gave up. ended up having endometrial ablation done in january where they burn the womb lining away, you cannot conceive after having this done, but i have had my kids anyway so was delighted to have it and been perfect ever since!
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I did not like the IUD. It was painful to be put in, 10x worse than real menstrual cramps. During sex, I could feel it and so could my boyfriend. I would get really bad cramps and it was just unbearable. I only had it for about 4 months. I would never get one again. I'm back on ortho tri cyclen lo and everything is good.