Good ways to raise your self-esteem

Options
Laura_Suzie
Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
Hey guys, I feel like this would be a good topic to address since weight issues also come with self-esteem issues as well. I was wondering what some of you do to raise your self-esteem.

I'm wondering because my self-esteem is higher than it use to be, but I constantly think about how I look and almost obsess over it. I looked into Body Dysmorphic Disorder and it sounded a lot like me. I try to do things to make myself feel better about my looks (exercise, eat right, dress nice, etc.), but I still feel like I need something more. I am almost parnoid that everyone thinks I'm ugly, but just won't tell me. I'm worried my low self-esteem is getting in the way of my relationships and career.

SO What things do/did you do to raise your self-esteem, feel better about yourself, and ultimately love yourself as a person?

Replies

• CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I talk to my fiance.. I go for a walk..
    I tell myself in 6 months time it will all pay off..
  • thirtytwopostcards
    Options
    Well first of all you are so gorgeous! You have a lovely face and smile, if anyone thinks otherwise they are wrong! :)

How you are describing your feelings is exactly how I felt until about a year ago. It's really hard to get over because it's all coming from your own head, and because you are so harsh on yourself it just keeps getting worse. One of the things that helped me was getting some more confidence. Being chucked in at the deep end at work and having to push myself for results made me realise I can do things and I am not totally useless. Also realising that people are usually paying so much attention to themselves there is no way they are noticing the things you hate about yourself.

All the time worrying about how you look isn't going to change anything, you just have to learn to accept what you have. No amount of worrying will change your body, it will only make you feel bad about yourself when you have no reason to. It's great that you are working to be healthier and taking care of yourself, try to focus on that and be proud that you love your body enough to treat it right and live healthily.

It is really hard to accept, but you have to realise that not everyone you meet in your life is going to like you or how you look, but that is their problem not yours. Worrying about it won't change a thing, but if you put that energy into doing something good for yourself you will be too happy to care.

If I ever feel down I look in the mirror and concentrate on the things I do like about myself, or I look at pictures/quotes that give me confidence.

214554369717852586_PU6zX88P_f.jpg
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    This is where I need to be working on. I have really bad low self esteem. It drives my husband nuts. I just can't say I look good. I don't know why its so hard for me. I am just never happy the way I am. Its really sad.
  • Adureeuh
    Adureeuh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have recently had lots of problems with my self esteem due to my recent weight gain. However, my friends, family, and loved ones all still love me and care for me. I look in the mirror and hate what I see but none of them run away from me in disgust. I have to keep remembering that I want to be healthy and I'm doing this so I can give myself a good life and be around for a long, long time to enjoy that life.

Also, my boyfriend has always been so supportive and loving, never letting me feel fat or ugly. My best friend is much smaller than me but has never ONCE commented on my weight but instead we talk about both of us becoming healthy, which makes me feel better that she wants to be healthy too.

And I always remember that I haven't changed on the inside and that I will always be that person no matter the outside. I have to remember that if people turn their heads away at me because I'm big now they will never deserve to be in my life no matter what size I am. Everyone on this earth is beautiful and sometimes it's easy to judge but honestly I am trying my best to accept everyone the way they are and hope people will do the same for me.
  • shae68143
    shae68143 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with a lot of the same things you described about yourself for a long time - you CAN overcome those feelings, but you have to want to do so. You have to remember you ARE beautiful and perfect in YOUR OWN WAY. If everyone was the same kind of "skinny", same kind of beautiful, same kind of anything - this world would be a very BORING place.

One of the things I find helpful when I am down on myself is tapping - tapping? Yes tapping. A very good friend of mine sent me this and I thought she was absolutely crazy - but with practive it actually does help. I've done it at work, home, the car, dinner with friends etc. You have to always remember, you have to take care of YOU first and foremost, if you don't you cannot and will not be able to take care of others (kids, husbands, family, friends etc).

Check it out - http://eft.mercola.com/

If anyone wants to add me, go ahead, I will do my best to cheer you on every step of the way in your journey. :)
    Best of luck everyone

Shae
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options

214554369717852586_PU6zX88P_f.jpg

^^^^^ PRINT THAT PICTURE!!!!!

Sorry, I was yelling that. You are so pretty hon. I am not just saying that, you really are.

I am a 33 yr, corporate working mom. I have to tell myself "fake it til you make it" sometimes. I am really an introvert by nature so somedays when I have to get all dolled in my business suit/ make up, I just don't feel it. I look in the mirror and feel gross. I have gotten so much better though since I have lost 20 lbs and realize that it isn't just about looks but health for me.

I am not sure how old you are but some of the self-esteem comes with age sadly. I am learing to love the me that I am now and can't wait to meet the me at 40, 50. I am going to be such a cool person. :smooched:
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Self esteem is in part body image, but it is also rooted in our accomplishments, how we treat others and generally how we feel about ourselves as people in the world. I think taking some energy to focus on the non-physical elements of yourself (relationships, career, creativity, compassion, charity, and self-nourishment among other things) has a profound impact on how we view ourselves.
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Go to Wall-mart late at night, that will make anyone feel better about themselves. JK. You have people who are proud of you and love you. You are doing good, keep it up and always try to have positive thoughts. Listen to others, its important that you listen to your love ones and trust them because they see an amazing person who has no reason to look down yourself.