Curly/Wavy haired girls out there!

Options

Replies

• stufie
    stufie Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...this thread might save my hair!!
  • bronwyn1992
    Options
    I have always had trouble with my hair also-I LOVE it but man sometimes I just look in the mirror and think to myself 'What the hell?!' haha mine is quite long, and more of a wavy curl not ringlets. I find that the best way to make mine not frizzy is just to shampoo and condition in the shower like normal then when I get out i use one of those hair towels to keep it up whilst i get changed etc. then i take it out of the hair towel and leave it to dry naturally- i find that when i run my hands through it when its wet or rustle it up then it goes frizzy! Also i use herbal essence serum that comes in a lime green bottle- that helps keep the frizz right down :-D and i NEVER blow dry it unless im going to straighten it-it just makes my hair frizz right up!!!!!!!!!!

hope this helps!! x
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my curls! I think the are crazy sexy!
    The look: I have medium corks mixed with strait pieces and large round curls. My hair is medium long, the last layer sits just below my shoulders. Multiple layers, everywhere

Styling - No brush/comb ever! (unless I'm straightening, which I don't do very often b/c it takes so long)
    bumble and bumble curl conscious masque 2 x a week (but if your hair is damaged use it more often)
    moroccan oil after the shower, wet hair
    Shampoo and conditioner are nothing special, whatever is on sale as long as it does not volumize (too much of that already)
    IF I blow dry, I use low setting with a diffuser

I hated my hair until I founf the right stylist. It took me years to love my hair, and with the right products I don't need to use that much product.

If you are having trouble with frizz -
    Don't used a towel on your hair, or use it only to squeeze the water out.
    Silk Pillow case, if you don't have one, it's a must have or a silk scarf to wrap your hair. Curls need their natural oils cotten and polymixed illow cases obsorb this oil, leaving it frizzy.
    Try not to brush your hair when wet, if you condition it enough it should be fine. The hair can break when it is wet, damaging the ends causeing frizz.

I am not a hair care professional or even in the field, this works for my hair.

Check out this site - http://www.naturallycurly.com/
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    MIne is also getting curlier as I get older!
    I keep it shoulder lenght - any longer and it gets too frizzy and I start to resemble an old cartoon character called Christal tips!

I wash and condition with whatever moisturising or curl shampoo I have - usually John Freida.
    Comb through with my fingers and then pat dry with a towel.

I then apply curl cream mixed with a little serum, scrunch and leave to dry.

It is thick and takes an age to dry so in the winter I have to blow dry it straight. This is an extra pain as I have to get up 15 minutes earlier to allow time in my getting ready routine!!
  • Amberchalon
    Amberchalon Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I flat iron my hair maybe once or twice LO a year--between that time, I always use a deep conditioner on my hair. I LOVE LOVE LOVE making a hair mask from coconut oil mixed w avocado and olive oil--this seems to help make it much more managable--now I know my hair is different likely from most of you commenting as I'm Black and Filipina but this is what I do :-)
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I flat iron my hair maybe once or twice LO a year--between that time, I always use a deep conditioner on my hair. I LOVE LOVE LOVE making a hair mask from coconut oil mixed w avocado and olive oil--this seems to help make it much more managable--now I know my hair is different likely from most of you commenting as I'm Black and Filipina but this is what I do :-)

Deep conditioning is awesome! I deep condition mine about once a month or a bit more often if I have the time :) but I use carrot oil, coconut oil and hair oil as my mixture - wrap my hair in a scarf or towel overnight and then wash it out the next morning with hot oil too and my hair is lovely and soft for a good few days!

I have naturally thick curly/wavy hair and I don't bother to straighten it :\ if I have time, I'd use curl cream on my hair, but if not, it's just shampoo, conditioner (wash it out last) and air dry. I use Head and Shoulders but I might switch back to Herbal Essences
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the whole thread but yeah that's me too I do the curly girl methods! Do a google search it is a book and website.
  • apgant
    apgant Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I always get compliments on my curly hair and how people would love to have it or pay lots of money to get curls like mine but I always say it's a curse! My hair has a mind of its own. I switch up using different shampoos/conditioners/products because I have heard you shouldn't use the same one all the time. I always use Infusium leave in conditioner plus a frizz tamer plus a curling gel plus my normal shampoo and conditioning routine. And straightening???? That's out of the question......mine never gets completely straight....it seems to have a little wave to it even when it's straightened (by a professional). I just deal with my naturally curly and unruly hair!
  • quererespoder
    quererespoder Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i have crazy hair too! and i've read through this thread and noticed not alot of people gave this option. for me , i gave up on my curls. i actually dislike curls , no matter how perfect they are, they dont flatter my face (make it look rounder). so for two consecutive years now i've gotten the brazilian ionic treatment done. unlike the keratin treatments, it does not contain formaldehyde which kills your hair. it works with ions which actually "heal" it. i dont know if this is true but i can testify that atleast it has not harmed my hair or made it any worse. there are alot of salons that offer it out there-be careful. you must get the real deal , which is quite expensive! it costs 300 dollars but to me its worth every penny. it lasts about 6 months-the last time i got it it lasted about 8 or 9 because i only washed it once a week (i did not work out so i never sweat and my hair is not oily at all so it didnt get too dirty) and i took really good care of it. after those 8 months were up , it was ridiculous how there was a visible division in my hair-from the middle down, the parts which had been treated were smooth and beautiful and from the middle up , the new hair that had grown in and not been treated was a curly mess. so i got it again. it does not leave my hair 100% straight but it turns it into manageable waves. if you get it done enough times, the hair eventually gives up and gradually becomes wavy on its own. this happened to a friend of mine who got it done for years until she just didnt need it anymore-her hair started being straightish naturally. it does make your hair fall out alot i've noticed. when i have it in my hair , it will fall off at the slightest provocation. not an issue for me because i have ALOT of hair lol. but some girls with thin hair might find it a problem. also , the flat ironing time has been reduced by half! you do need a special shampoo yto take care of it and i cannot stress this enough-find a good stylist who had experience in doing this (mine has been doing it for 10 years) and use the real deal. i cant remember the name of the one i use....if anyone wants it just mesage me and i will call my stylist and ask. i promise you will not regret getting it done hahaa
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I have curly hair. As I kid I got made fun of it constantly because I didn't know what to do with it.

I've tried MANY products throughout the years, and I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter which, but t a regular haircut does wonders. Every 6 weeks is ideal, but 8 is max. Without that I'm screwed.

That being said, I shampoo and condition with Herbal Essences "Totally twisted," combing in the shower, towel dry, and end with their mousse and curl conditioning creme. Let it air dry (with a small clip to keep it out of my face).
  • Jenw777
    Jenw777 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Look up the curly Girl method. It will save your hair.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I'm a sucker for curly hair. I've often wondered if it's because it reminds one of pubes, and drives my attraction to it. Who knows.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I have a long, layered bob -- and I get a keratin blow-out at the salon every 6-7 weeks when I get it cut.

I straighten it almost every day, so the treatment really makes that a more manageable task!
  • faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Yes I have hair like this and I live in Birmingham, AL where it stays hot and wet for about 4 months out of the year. I found a stylist that uses a technique called Carving. Its amazing. My curls lay in lovely, bouncy layers and I love it! Good luck!
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have horrible curly frizzy wavy hair. I straighten it, every freaking day.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Goosiesnougs Posts: 420
    Options
    I wear mine straight when I bother to do it :laugh:

When I do it curly I use JessieCurl products..............My husband said my curls never looked so good. I think you can only get it online and it's kinda pricy. Worth every penny----and it smells GREAT
  • carlynn13
    carlynn13 Posts: 281
    Options
    bump for when I have time to read it all :)
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm biracial so I was "blessed" with curly hair :)

I used to never know how to deal with it, but after years of frustration I:

Wash hair with Biolace (bought at my salon), leave conditioner in for 10 minutes, comb through while in shower, rinse while leaving a little conditioner in. Blot (don't dry compeltely with towel), and let air dry.
    I do sometimes straigten it, but I use my Chi after I apply a heat treament creme beforehand.

I now like my hair :) I wear it short (think Halle Berry cut) and flip it out when it's straight. I get lots of compliments on it, but it hardly takes any time to do (max time 20 minutes on a bad day).
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have very curly unruly hair too and I feel your pain. it doesn't help that I live in Ohio where the humidity is my worst enemy. I have tried straightening and like you never lasted and it ended up frying my hair and it was actually breaking off. Quit with the torture to my locks and just went back to wearing it curly. I don't use anything special on it, I wash and condition every day with Suave (I use the one that is like Sleek), it works for me. I wrap it up and let it dry a little while doing my make up and then apply some Tresemme Mouse the curly hair formula. I dry with a diffuser, but don't dry all the way and I hang my head upside down while doing so. I then take the diffuser off to fix a couple places that require fixing and spray with Suave hairspray.

I get complements on my hair all the time even on days when I think it is a total disaster. I stick with this routine and I even color to hide the gray! I do keep it long because the shorter it is the more the curls come out. I have always hated my hair and would die to have nice straight hair that requires no fuss.

Oh and I never brush my hair. Brushing causes nothing but a frizzy mess!