Question for the ladies (re: the pill)

Options
salxtai
salxtai Posts: 341 Member
Wondering if anyone else has had incidents of spotting while on the pill (as in while in the cycle of taking the active pills - not the week "break" each cycle has)?

It happened to me for the first time yesterday after being on the pill for the past 2 years (Monofeme - lowest dose)
I didn't think much of it and put it down to a one-off, but today it happened again.

I did miss the pill on Saturday (today is Monday), but I have done that by accident on multiple occasions (usually just one per month, but occasionally 2), and never had anything happen so I don't know if I can put it down to this specifically.

I've got a Dr's appt for a blood test (unrelated matter) in a week anyways, so if it keeps happening i'll mention it then, but any general comments on this would be good to hear :)

Replies

• mpmama2re
    mpmama2re Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I do spot sometimes but it's because I take the pill continuously and I also have spotted,cramped when I missed a pill. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I just started it this month and have a little breakthrough. This is not uncommon.
    The fact that you missed a day is very likely to be the reason for yours. Even if it hadn't happened before. It may depend on what's going on with your natural hormones on the day you miss. If you have concerns, definitely ask your doctor.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Been on birth control for four years now. If I miss even one pill I'll spot and if it's near the end of the cycle I will cramp. So I agree that if you missed a pill, that may be the reason.
  • brwneyedirish813
    brwneyedirish813 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Have you just started mfp and just recently started working out? Because I had it a bit and finally started my period like way late. They say if you start eatting healthy and exercising it will throw your hormones off wack. This could very well be whats happening. Just hang in there. It's normal. Just keep taking your pills how you should it let it balance out as you go. Good luck! :D
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses - was mainly interested to hear if others who's had the pill for longer than the "first few months" (which aren't uncommon to have spotting in) have had this. Did a quick google search but all the information was aimed at the initial period, couldn't find any "reliable" (as reliable it can be on the internet, of course) on longer-term use.

In reply to your Q about MFP/working out..

Have you just started mfp and just recently started working out? Because I had it a bit and finally started my period like way late. They say if you start eatting healthy and exercising it will throw your hormones off wack. This could very well be whats happening. Just hang in there. It's normal. Just keep taking your pills how you should it let it balance out as you go. Good luck! :D

I've been losing weight since a few months after I started the pill (2010), and on MFP/calorie counting since early this year, so am definitely no newbie to the workout scene, so don't think that's a factor :)

I have been on placement (This is my 5th and final week) and its been fairly stressful, so maybe it was also a combination of stress and bad timing to miss one pill. Or just a plain freak accident :P
  • TheSpectacledBear
    TheSpectacledBear Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been on a fairly low dose pill for about twelve years (apart from a two year gap when I had a coil fitted - and put on two stone in about three months). I have spotting on a fairly regular basis - not every month, but probably every couple of months I'll have a day or two of low to medium spotting. I never (touch wood) miss a pill, but it just happens for no particular reason I can tell. Probably just hormone spikes. I personally don't worry about it - though if it went on for a week, then I'd worry!
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for 6 years and usually if I spot, it's about 2 weeks (for a couple days) before the start. Doesn't happen every time but here and there. I do believe I asked the GYNO and she said it was normal to do so, however if it's heavy, I would probably be a bit worried.
  • taliasometimes
    taliasometimes Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    constantly spotted on the pill when i first took it.