Anyone else work where their is a delicious cafeteria on sit

Options
Phatmomma
Phatmomma Posts: 204 Member
This place is killing me. it's always someone's birthday which means sweets, always a conference or meeting which means food, and always someone microwaving or ordering food. Plus the cafeteria is YUMMY! And the place is surrounded by vendors. Today I bought a nice salad. I planned to get a roll or something to go with it. I had my diet lipton green tea. But then I went down and it smelled so good I bought a penne salad with veggies and a cheese filled breadstick and some red sauce. Waaahhhh!:cry:
Plus the guy was hitting on me and gave me a huge portion which I felt obligated to eat :ohwell:

How to avoid the yummy smells and good tasting snacks etc.?

Replies

• Phatmomma
    Options
    This place is killing me. it's always someone's birthday which means sweets, always a conference or meeting which means food, and always someone microwaving or ordering food. Plus the cafeteria is YUMMY! And the place is surrounded by vendors. Today I bought a nice salad. I planned to get a roll or something to go with it. I had my diet lipton green tea. But then I went down and it smelled so good I bought a penne salad with veggies and a cheese filled breadstick and some red sauce. Waaahhhh!:cry:
    Plus the guy was hitting on me and gave me a huge portion which I felt obligated to eat :ohwell:

How to avoid the yummy smells and good tasting snacks etc.?
  • kenzie
    kenzie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There's no cafeteria where i work, but there is ALWAYS food in the office. Sweets, snacks, you name it. We also do potlucks once a month, (never any healthy food there!), and where i just started out on MFP i'm kind of worried about that. Stay determined and burn off the extra calories. It's hard, but it'll be worth it! :smile:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead, don't buy food at work. If you pack your own food you will feel obligated to eat what you made instead of feeling obligated to eat an oversized portion of food some guy gave you. You have to decide what is most important to you, losing weight and getting healthy or eating out of guilt. There is no rule that says you have to eat the treats at work for whatever occassion, no rule that says you have to eat the food supplied at meetings and no rule that says you need to feel obligated to eat more than you should just because someone piled your plate up for you.

You have to do what you need to do to get healthy and the first thing is to get over what is tempting you at work and start taking control over your choices!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    We have one too. I pack my lunch every day, but I do add a side salad from the salad bar.

And the occasional cookie. :love:

If you start bringing your lunch you'll be amazed at how much money you save too. BIG motivator for me. :bigsmile:
  • my2girls0507
    Options
    This site actually is a big help for me. Everytime I cheat and I have to come on here and log it and those high numbers are staring me in my face I feel like crap. I really do feel disgusting when I see it. So now I don't have the urge to cheat anymore because I remember the numbers and the feeling and the fact that the scale will remind me again the next day.
  • Phatmomma
    Options
    Lol I do bring my lunch. But sometimes (usually around that time) I cave. And that pasta looks so good. Some days I buy a veggie burger. I try not to do the fries becaiuse they are fried and all those calories for nothing. I usually get a huge salad and local dressing or might splurge and get one pack of regular with one lo-cal.
    Today the pasta just looked good. I haven't had pasta since??? Who knows really unless I had it from a salad topper.
    Sometimes I do a big omelet at home and water and I eat again with dinner. I have finally managed to avoid the candy dish all together because sugar just sends my head spinning.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    That is the catch, taking your lunch and sticking to it. I had this battle too, I work in a small office and everyday it's hey were going here or there for lunch and I used to give in and then I started packing two snacks and lunch and that gave me some choices when I got hungry and I decided to quit wasting my money on food that went to waste.

You will get there, baby steps!
  • Phatmomma
    Options
    Plan ahead, don't buy food at work. If you pack your own food you will feel obligated to eat what you made instead of feeling obligated to eat an oversized portion of food some guy gave you. You have to decide what is most important to you, losing weight and getting healthy or eating out of guilt. There is no rule that says you have to eat the treats at work for whatever occassion, no rule that says you have to eat the food supplied at meetings and no rule that says you need to feel obligated to eat more than you should just because someone piled your plate up for you.

You have to do what you need to do to get healthy and the first thing is to get over what is tempting you at work and start taking control over your choices!

Good advice! I always plan ahead, which is why I had a salad. But sometimes I fall off the wagon. Usually I make it up by upping my cardio for the night. So I think this pasta will cost me an extra 30 minutes.
    I'm pretty healthy and religious about my excercise once again. I realized my baby isn't a baby anymore and so not my excuse to carry any extra lbs.

Sometimes the conferences and meetings are so BORING I find myself with a dish of sweets lol. I guess I will have to sneak in my IPOD or something to combat the boredom (i.e. getting rid of temptation)

I'm tryin got reach my goal by July
    13% body fat, size 5 and 24 waist-agggh! SUMMER is almost here! Just hope that I can stay away from all the goodies or I'll be doing 3 hours cardio lol!
  • Phatmomma
    Options
    This site actually is a big help for me. Everytime I cheat and I have to come on here and log it and those high numbers are staring me in my face I feel like crap. I really do feel disgusting when I see it. So now I don't have the urge to cheat anymore because I remember the numbers and the feeling and the fact that the scale will remind me again the next day.
    OMG I know that feeling. You're right, so right!
  • Phatmomma
    Options
    That is the catch, taking your lunch and sticking to it. I had this battle too, I work in a small office and everyday it's hey were going here or there for lunch and I used to give in and then I started packing two snacks and lunch and that gave me some choices when I got hungry and I decided to quit wasting my money on food that went to waste.

You will get there, baby steps!

Thanks. Now this is exactly what I need to do. People are always aksing me to wllak down with them and I give in and buy something. I think bringing some snacks will be a great tool. Plus the fact I have to pay for parking and gas almost 5 a gallon. What a motivation to save money whereever!
    Plus I have been parking several blocks away. it's cheaper and I get a 10 minute walk in. I just have cravings during PMS and I give in. Dang I gotta fight it man! But they lemon bars, they keep calling me?:laugh:
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I can almost 1 up you on this.
    I am the resident baker of the office goodies.
    Which means that I KNOW what is in the office and when.
    It is a long story as to how I got this job. But it is mine.
    Yeah me...
    However...When it comes to the goodies in the office I play a little game with my
    head, that I called gross out.
    Each time I think of the cake that I brought for someones birthday or something special in the office,
    Or that someone else brought. I think of the most disgusting thing that I can think of when the temptation starts to get to me.
    IE: Last week was Admin Day and I brought in cake and so did a few others.
    SO, I pictured my butt in a skin tight swimsuit. :tongue: If that did not do it, then I pictures a kitty litter box, ANYTHING that would make my tummy turn eqach time the thought of...
    Ther's CAAAaaaaake in the Breakroom. comes to mind.
    This does however have a small advers effect if I have my imagination get the better of me, and that is that I am not hungry for lunch eigther. So I am only able to eat a small salad.
    I do not know if this will work for you but it might be worth a shot. The human brain can do a LOT for you if you give it the right clues as to what you want or do not want.
    BTW, you are no more obligated to eat the B-Day cake in the break room then you are to invite your boss to dinner every night next week.
    People are not keeping score of who ate what.
    --Diann...
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I teach in a school where the food is prepped off site, sent to the school by 10:00 and kept in a heating unit, then lunch is at 11:05:noway: - oh, and the menu says that the average meal is 600 calories or so. It makes it REALLY easy to stay away. Sometimes (like rushed mornings) it would be nice to have some good food on site
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I have a great story about work and eating out everyday.

I finally had enough of eating out and the calories and money, same story. so I stuck to my guns (and this website!) and started bringing my salad stuff every day (I actually bring all the ingredients and make the salad here so it is nice a fresh). I didn't make a big deal about it, didn't tell anyone, just went about my business and politely said no when they were ordering.

Now nobody eats out anymore, everyone has been bringing their lunch and one of my co-workers has started bringing her salad fixings too!! I affected change! What a great feeling!!!

Baby steps....
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I work in the hospital and our breakroom is CONSTANTLY filled with something that someone has bought in or the doctors are always buying us food! Plus our cafeteria is filled with fat loaded greasy junk! I pack my lunch everyday and don't eat anything on the breakroom table. I have learned to back away:cry:
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize. My office has a kitchen in it that is always filled with brownies, cookies, or cakes that someone has brought in to share. We also have meetings 3 times per week where lunches are ordered and extra sandwiches/cookies/chips end up in the kitchen. It can be really frustrating but I just bring my lunch everyday and pack 2 snacks, one for mid-morning and one for mid-afternoon. That way when I'm craving a cookie I can grab my apple/yogurt/Fiber One bar instead! :happy:

It never ceases to amaze me all of the junk food people bring into the office when over half of us are dieting. I've started "retaliating" by making healthy versions of brownies/muffins and bringing them in for those of us who are trying to stay healthy.
  • jesusgrl14
    jesusgrl14 Posts: 250
    Options
    I work out at a camp and employee lunch is provided every day. Benefit: free meal daily Con: no choice about what to eat most of the time. There is usually salad so I can avoid the bad stuff occasionally but the worst (read "best"!) part of the whole thing is that our kitchen staff are visa workers straight from Mexico and they cook the most delicious foods!!
  • bodibykelli
    bodibykelli Posts: 135
    Options
    Make sure you what pack for lunch sounds BETTER to you than what you can buy fast!
  • bodibykelli
    bodibykelli Posts: 135
    Options
    :laugh: I just read my post~ meant to say...."make sure that what you pack for lunch sounds better to you than what you can buy fast!"
  • tlitzner
    tlitzner Posts: 124
    Options
    I make sure to advertise to everyone at my office that I am watching what I eat. It helps me not cheat if I feel like my co-workers will notice. Also, there are several of us on different weight loss programs, and we all share lo-cal snacks and encourage eachother.
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    I'm a teacher and it can be difficult sometimes. Like today, one of my students had a birthday and they brought me down a cupcake..and at the end of the day, I ended up throwing it away..and it smelled SOOO good!! ARGH!