What is my body doing?

Options
So I am not losing weight or inches but I am starting to feel a lot more muscle. Does your body gain muscle, then shrink and then lose weight? I am just confused how it works. I always bulk up a lot. I seem to be built like a tank. Which would be great if I were a man. But being a woman it is difficult to see no inches lost or weight loss. I am not even lifting weights right now either. Should I be panicking??

Replies

• fatchiick
    fatchiick Posts: 105
    Options
    I'd be interested in seeing the results as well... as I am also built like a tank. But it seems I am gaining weight pants that were falling off of me are now snug around my waiste. Its like the fat is dropping and settling around my waiste and in my stomach.. my clavicals seem to be appearing more, but my thighs are rock hard as well as my stomach.... its like jello on top of a cookie sheet or something... my fat seem looser..yet not as runny aka firm with a hard layer underneath and the scale is not moving... ugh..
  • 1nsanity
    1nsanity Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    you just started on the weight loss journey. give your body a minimum of three weeks at this to adjust. i was in the same boat. nothing really happened the first 4 weeks, and then i stopped worrying and didnt weigh myself for three weeks. i ate my calories with as much protein as i could, and i exercised. just weighed this morning and am down 8 lbs total. be patient and the work will pay off!
  • fatchiick
    fatchiick Posts: 105
    Options
    bump
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    This thread isn't exactly what you are describing, but close enough that I think it might help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/595473-why-the-scale-goes-up-with-a-new-workout-program-must-read
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    I am new to MFP but not new to working out and healthy lifestyle. I have been working out for 26 years and eating healthy for the last 6 years. I just cannot understand why my body will not lose inches or weight. How can I be gaining and doing everything right?
  • 1nsanity
    1nsanity Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    you may not be new to working out or healthy living, but if you have changed your eating habits and exercise habits (which i have to assume you have since you are on this site), then your body will need to adjust. ANY deviation from the norm will take a little time for your body to adjust. maybe not 4 weeks, but it will still take some time.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    The muscle soreness thread could explain some weight gain. Anybody debunk this: but I heard once that it is actually hard for women to gain muscle without really trying because we are estrogen based (not testosterone).

I would just ask are you logging all your calories? Maybe instead of weighing some foods, you are just guessing and guessing too low. Or maybe invest in a heart rate monitor - you may think you are burning more calories than you really are.

Keep trying!
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    I think my calories are a lot lower than they should be because I eat a mostly vegan diet. 90% veggies. Which I know are not calorie dense. I also make my own dressings which are extremely low calorie too. I have been eating and exercising this way for 6 years. I change my workout routines every 4-8 weeks depending on how my body has adjusted to that particular workout. I lost 30 pounds the first year and then nothing. A few months ago I gained 5 pounds and cannot for the life of me lose the weight.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I think my calories are a lot lower than they should be because I eat a mostly vegan diet. 90% veggies. Which I know are not calorie dense. I also make my own dressings which are extremely low calorie too. I have been eating and exercising this way for 6 years. I change my workout routines every 4-8 weeks depending on how my body has adjusted to that particular workout. I lost 30 pounds the first year and then nothing. A few months ago I gained 5 pounds and cannot for the life of me lose the weight.
    Try eating more calories, your body has probably gotten so used to a low calorie intake and it needs to be shocked into losing again. Just like a workout routine needs to be adjusted.