My first 5k!

Options
LishieFruit89
LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
Yesterday was my first ever 5k!

It was the BlumShapiro 5k for Camp Courant here in CT.

I hadn't trained for it as well as I wanted to, I was running multiple times a week but hardly outside and without hill training.
My longest outside training run was 2.5 miles and my longest run (ever btw) was 6.1 miles on a treadmill.

Mathematically (nerd alert, lol) I knew I could finish it in 30-31 minutes based off of my training pace but realistically, I assumed I'd finish in around 34 minutes or so.

I was wrong. SO very wrong.

I finished in 28:04!!!
I was the 185th finisher (out of 385), 56th female finisher (out of 178), and 8th (out of 25) for my age division (20-24).

I did have to walk a little bit after mile 2, I made the mistake of trying to drink water from a cup and then felt sick. (Normally I drink from a water bottle)

I almost cried as I crossed the finish line, it was the greatest feeling in the world.

I've got three more races this year with plans for more next year.
And plans to start running with a hydration belt thingy so there won't be anymore cups =D

Replies

• Collinsclan22
    Options
    Way to go! I ran my first 5K as well. Goal was to finish in under 33 and finished in 31:04. More than happy with my time.
    Already looking to schedule my next one. I was "warned" it's addicting - so true!
    Only semi-scary part for me was the start - I was affraid I was going to fall.
    Congrats again - now keep running!
  • lanzaroteblue
    lanzaroteblue Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    28.04 is a fantastic finishing time!
    What a great NSV.
    I'm on W3D2 of the C25K and am planning my first 5K in October.
    Thanks for posting
    Nicola x
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Stand so tall! That is so great! I bet you are still flying high from a great accomplishment! Great for you!
  • moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • xTenaciousJx
    xTenaciousJx Posts: 555
    Options
    see!! i told you you'd be hooked!!!! wtg! :)
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    a sub-30 on your first 5k is AWESOME. of course i already knew you'd kick *kitten*, cos you're just that cool ;)
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    that is a great time!! Wow, congrats to you!!! I can't wait to run my first race, you are inspiring me!!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!

It is addicting and such a great feeling finishing. =D
  • GingerRunner
    Options
    Congratulations! That's such good fun and AMAZING time! Go you!!
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    well done - great time for a first outing. However, no need to carry/drink water for a 5k - especially if you're getting round in under 30.
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    Isn't crossing the finish line exhilirating?

Well done. You're a running rockstar now! :flowerforyou:
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    What a awesome feeling it must be. Congratulations on reaching a milestone. :smile:
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I ran my first race in April, and I know how you felt. It is addictive. I ran another one in May, and now I am working with an extreme obstacle course group and have registered for a race in September.

Keep up the good work and keep running!
  • ClarkAddison
    ClarkAddison Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Great job! First run and you blew me out of the water. I'm a 10 minute miler and usually end up just over 30 minutes.
  • lilpe5512
    lilpe5512 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Great job! I'm training with C25k and I start Wk5D1 today. I hope I can complete my time at about 32-33 mins.
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    My first is coming up on June 23d. I have only trained outside so that's good, but I've avoided hills and heat like the plague. Sunday morning I went and test-ran the course and uh-oh. It's quite hilly, and doesn't start until 8 a.m., by which time it will doubtless be hot. So I need to do some heat/hill work in the next week.

Congratulations on your finish, and what an excellent time!!!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
  • amolina0810
    amolina0810 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    WOW! Good job! I just ran my first 5K this weekend too! I finished in 27.09 mins and I was 7th out of the age group and 59th overall!!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    way to go!!!! that is so, so awesome. i ran a 5K in november and think i finished it in 50 minutes. ugh, right? you rock!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    that is AWESOME!! great time and a great victory! congrats!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!