17 Day Diet

Options
I am considering going on the 17 Day Diet but before I run out and purchase the book I was wondering if anyone had experience with it, what are the pro's and con's and if it is truly worth giving a shot.....
Thanks so much in advance for any input you can give me

:smile:

Replies

• krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    haven't tried it but it sounds like another gimmick to me... if it were that easy, we'd all be skinny
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    It's a DIET. How many have you been on and gained the weight back? DIETS work temporarily. LIFESTYLE changes are what's needed for permanence.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • beck733
    beck733 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It is basically a low carb diet. You are able to eat any amount of foods from a list; for example, lean meats like chicken, fish and turkey. You can also eat all the low startch veggies. Cabbage, cucumbers, stuff like that. He also wants you to eat 2 servings of probiotic milk or yogurt like acdiphilus(that is spelled wrong) and 2 serving of a low carb fruit like berries, or an apple. And those carbs cannot be eaten after 2 pm. If you can handle low carb you can handle the diet. After the 17 days you introduce some carbs and you alternate days from cycle 1 and cycle 2. I never completed the full 17 days :( Good luck. You can find the book cheaper on amazon instead of running out to the book store.
  • Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    It's a DIET. How many have you been on and gained the weight back? DIETS work temporarily. LIFESTYLE changes are what's needed for permanence.

IDEA Fitness member

Exactly!!! I have been on many many "diets"...I believe "for me" it needed to be a complete lifestyle change...change in eating habits & exercise incorporated daily into my life...
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Exactly!!! I have been on many many "diets"...I believe "for me" it needed to be a complete lifestyle change...change in eating habits & exercise incorporated daily into my life...

Comitt to being fit. Find your root, your reason. And make it a life term reason.

I see brides out there going "I need to loose it fro the dress".

What happens after the dress?
    Self-promotion of my fitness rant here:
    http://thesoundofwolf.tumblr.com/post/24742207160/wake-up-call-fitness-isnt-what-you-think-it-is
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It worked for me. I have lost 13lb and my other half has lost slighty more in about 8 weeks. We were both at the upper end of the healthy weight BMI. While I agree it has a silly / faddy name, it is a programme that encourages long-term healthy eating. I haven't followed it to the letter, but use the basic guiding principles. I haven't been hungry or tired.

I would recommend it to somebody who likes veg, salad, yogurt, fruit, green tea...if you don't, it might be too hard and you'd be better offjust counting your calories.

There are plenty of places online that tell you about the first 17 day cycle, you could seek that out and try it for a week?
  • tessa681
    tessa681 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input!
  • trishDC
    trishDC Posts: 51
    Options
    tessa681 - I look at the 17 day diet as a jump-start to a lifestyle change. It has you eating plenty of fruits and veggies from the get go, so I see it better than most low carb diets. It also begins putting in rice and other carbs in Cycle 2 - again, unlike most other low carb diets. I just started yesterday and decided to give it a try because it is about eating healthy. I was doing WW and just found too many reasons to eat anything as long as I was within my points.

Anyhow, if your interested there is a group us us that have just started, restarted and a few that have been on it for awhile that are collaborating here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/6330-17-day-diet-plan-challenge-jun-2012

Good luck with your choice.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    tessa681 - I look at the 17 day diet as a jump-start to a lifestyle change. It has you eating plenty of fruits and veggies from the get go, so I see it better than most low carb diets. It also begins putting in rice and other carbs in Cycle 2 - again, unlike most other low carb diets. I just started yesterday and decided to give it a try because it is about eating healthy. I was doing WW and just found too many reasons to eat anything as long as I was within my points.

Anyhow, if your interested there is a group us us that have just started, restarted and a few that have been on it for awhile that are collaborating here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/6330-17-day-diet-plan-challenge-jun-2012

Its a good jump-start and does introduce a lot of foods back as you go through the stages. Also stages (cycles) only 17 days long. It does teach a lifestyle change.
  • lroxey
    lroxey Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Its not easy and its not a diet. Its just a way to work eating healthier into your life style.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • trishDC
    trishDC Posts: 51
    Options
    Its not easy and its not a diet. Its just a way to work eating healthier into your life style.

lroxey - I like this thought - hence why I wanted to give it a shot. Well, and all the great success stories I've heard :)
  • rayne78
    rayne78 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

This.

I have been doing the 17 day diet since Jan 9 of this year, and I have lost a total of 52lbs (since I started it) so far. I have really been enjoying it, and I really do think that over the 5 months, I really have learned to eat better.

Feel free to friend me or ask me other questions, if you have any.
  • rayne78
    rayne78 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Oh and I forgot to mention, the more you have to lose, generally you see quicker results....but that goes the same with every change in diet.
  • tessa681
    Options
    Thanks so much for you input! I truly appreciate it!
  • tessa681
    Options
    Thanks!
  • ginnynoodle
    Options
    I have witnessed people do very well with this "diet". It is a "diet" but over the course of the 4 cycles it actually teaches you how to eat for a lifetime. it odes this in steps. Like any other "plan" you have to work the plan and really take the changes to heart. If you want to read about people who have worked through the plan, try reading the message boards here: http://thedoctorstv.com/group/The_17_Day_Diet_Club

Lots of great info there.

I had not found the right frame of mind to get on board yet. I am trying to refocus and get started learning to take better care of myself. I plan to use a lot of this plan to relearn how to eat.

Good Luck!