always under my calorie goal, advice?

Options
So I always try to stay within my calorie goal and I eat when I feel hungry, I don't feel like I'm starving myself. I recently started working out at night which helps gain calorie intake but by the.time I leave I'm not hungry. Every day I receive the same feedback saying I am under my calorie goal whether I worked out or not. I feel like I eat enough to satisfy me, am I not eating enough? Does this happen to anyone else and should I feel concerned because it also says I may be putting myself in starvation mode, I think that's a bit exaggerating but what do you think?

Replies

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Well, your diary isn't visible so we have no idea what your goal is, how far under it you are, what you're eating, etc. You'll probably get better responses if you make your diary public and share more info.
  • Yelbita
    Yelbita Posts: 9
    Options
    Sorry! I made it public, I didn't realize it was private
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    1200 is really low and you aren't getting that most days. Eat more. What you are doing isn't sustainable and you may end up reverting back to your old ways. You are going to lose muscle along with fat if you continue to eat so little. Eat what MFP says. Its a minimum so if you go slightly over, its okay.
  • TheSlimWithin
    Options
    Maybe you could choose the same kinds of foods, but in higher calorie varieties? That way you don't need to change what you eat necessarily, and stick with your similar food habits but still gain adequate calorie levels. :)
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    eat more cal-dense food!
  • psychofantasy
    Options
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44523397/ns/today-today_health/t/exercise-can-curb-hunger-new-research-finds/ I agree with this article. I find when I exercise I'm so not hungry. I would suggest trying to exercise earlier in the day so that by dinner, you have a bit more of your appetite back.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Do you like avocado? I LOVE avocado and would put it on everything if I could. It looks like you eat out alot so I am going to assume you are always busy and on the run like me. You can try buying say muscle milk or naked protein smoothies and drink one as a snack either mid morning or afternoon. You seem to always run around 900-1000 in calories so you only need to bump it up say another meal of 300-400. On the avocado note, it is full of healthy good for you fats and vitamins and subway has it right now and you can add it to any of your sandwiches. Also if you switch to a whole grain bread that will increase your fiber and add a little bit more calories and cut down on your sugar which will help your insulin and can help your body let go of fat. On days you dont have time for breakfast since I see you skip it sometimes. A piece of whole wheat toast with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and peel a half a banana fold the bread over the banana like a taco and squish a little and out the door you go, healthy carbs protein and healthy fats to satisfy and it is easy to eat while on the run :) Hope this helps
  • Laurakbg
    Laurakbg Posts: 66
    Options
    A one ounce serving of mixed nuts is about 170 calories, and has good fats and protein. Just eat a couple servings of those. Or maybe add some avocado, etc.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44523397/ns/today-today_health/t/exercise-can-curb-hunger-new-research-finds/ I agree with this article. I find when I exercise I'm so not hungry. I would suggest trying to exercise earlier in the day so that by dinner, you have a bit more of your appetite back.

it is the opposite for me. When I work out, and I always make sure I fuel my work outs by eating before hand. I might not be super hungry for about 3 hours but then I am STARVING. So I always eat a little right after and have a meal planed for later. And if I didnt eat my exercise calories back I would end up way over eating the next day. But then this is on days when I would work and then go to the gym and burn another 600-700 calories. Cant work out right now because of my back. But I dont know how exercise can curb hunger. I am sure it works for some people but everyone is different :)
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I looked at 4 days of your diary and didn't see one veggie.:noway:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Your calorie intake is painfully low for someone your age. Your protein intake is also very low.

Assuming you will eat less as you get older, by the time you're 40 you'll be surviving on about 3 peanuts a day.
  • cmcmommy
    cmcmommy Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I also am undcer my goal daily and i feel like i eat alot. because i started big my goal is high ( 2250) that to me is alot. most days i eat 1400 - 1800 am i doing it wrong . heaven know i dont want the weight back.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. Looking back a few days at your diary, there are some days that you don't even break 900 cals.

I know the intent is to eat less move more to lose weight, but you still need to fuel your body. Keep in mind, MFP already creates a calorie deficit according to your weight loss goals. You don't need to create more of a deficit.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. Check out my diary or anyone else who has an open diary. If you can't eat large quantities of food, eat higher calorie food. You should strive to eat 4-6 servings of fruits and vegetables per day. Also, try to consume 2 or 3 servings of dairy per day. I'm not suggesting that you eat crap, but your body needs fuel and you are not providing it enough. Think of the food pyramid -use it as a guide.
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I would have to say eat at least 1200 in this case, and I'm not telling you not too, but if you don't make sure you consume a boat load of vegetables, I have noticed, that I cook a lot of cabbage and greens sometimes two big pots per week. I will eat it until it is gone and then make another one. What tends to happen is, because they are both very low in calories even if I eat them twice in a day, I will be full but the calories are under my calorie limit. There is nothing I can do about that, and I refuse to eat more for one when I am not hungry. This is very hard to do. I am down 18 lbs and I believe my stomach has shrunk a little causing me not to consume the way I used to. I'm not an expert and believe I was just deleted by a friend because I don't eat my 1200 cals, she cannot support that I read, but who's to say, what they feel you should eat that is just a number to me. As long as you are not hungry is the point! Sorry I sound like I am venting. Good luck.
  • Yelbita
    Options
    Thank you so much for everyones response!! I will definetely try eating more calories and take the advice given on how to reach my calorie goal.
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It could also be that you are forgetting to log some things? Like for example, are you really having a sandwich made with bread, ham and a slice of cheese only? Did you put mayo, mustard, or any other condiments on it? Did you add anything to your can of tuna that you had for dinner? Sometimes it's easy to forget to add toppings etc but they do add up!

Are you without an appetite? If so, you might want to talk to your doctor.
    I would also add cottage cheese, fresh veggies and fruit.
    Best of luck!
  • Yelbita
    Options
    Nope didnt leave anything out! I dont add toppings most of the time but that might help bump up my calories. Thanks!!
  • bensmom912
    bensmom912 Posts: 12
    Options
    I am the same way...I actually feel sick if I force myself to eat the 1200 to 1500 range it wants me to. I am almost never hungry after exercising either...I love fruits and veggies and all that jazz, but just can't seem to make myself eat a lot of well anything. I am not a big junk foodie either. I would love any advice or help too...I will change my diary to public so y'all can see it :)
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have the same sort of problem - I exercise when I get in from work, before my dinner, so this pushes my cals up, but I don't feel hungry after I've done the exercise.

I know recently I've eaten a lot of crap - I've been out a bit more than normal, but other than that I do try and cook from fresh at home, using veggies etc and I do drink, but try not to drink as much as I used to, so I don't always hit my calorie intake and seem to have loads left over.

But then, on some days, I don't feel like eating at all - I know I should, but I just don't feel hungry (Yes I know I'm going to get told off for that, and I know it is wrong, but if I don't feel like eating, then I won't force myself)!