How can I stop craving the same food over and over?

Options
When I was in school this year, after school I would go to the Subway by my house. I got the same thing each time. Pepperoni Pizza, chips, and a 32 oz. drink, and a free cookie! When I did the math, the whole meal I would consider a meal was near 1500 calories! It tastes so good, and if I have one without the other I feel weird, and need something to satisfy. Right now, I really want to get back on my weight loss but I have the money for Subway and I'm debating on what to have. What should I do? How can I stop! If I feed the craving I'll just keep wanting it. Please help. Thanks! :)

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    stop eating it all together... dont say "il eat it in moderation" because that usually doesnt happen. i had to do it with ice cream when i first started to lose weight.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    When I was in school this year, after school I would go to the Subway by my house. I got the same thing each time. Pepperoni Pizza, chips, and a 32 oz. drink, and a free cookie! When I did the math, the whole meal I would consider a meal was near 1500 calories! It tastes so good, and if I have one without the other I feel weird, and need something to satisfy. Right now, I really want to get back on my weight loss but I have the money for Subway and I'm debating on what to have. What should I do? How can I stop! If I feed the craving I'll just keep wanting it. Please help. Thanks! :)

Try a healthier alternative such as a white pizza which has considerable less calories, also I am usually full after a 6" sub so I save half of it for the next day. Just cut down on your portions and maybe start out small by eating half of the pizza and saving the other half for the next day. Also Do you really need a 32 oz. soft drink that seems like alittle overkill if you ask me , I usually just get a bottled water and no chips or cookie.
  • jlcl119
    jlcl119 Posts: 51
    Options
    I have one day every week when I eat whatever I want. It's always a Saturday since don't run on Saturdays or Sundays (my performance is affected by what I eat the day of and the day before). If I crave something all week, I eat it on Saturday. Usually the cravings I've had throughout the week are gone by then, but if I'm still really wanting nachos or a huge slice of cheesecake, I eat it.

I don't know if a "cheat" day/meal would work for you, I know they do some people more harm than good but they seem to work for me. I figure if I wanted something bad enough to wait all week to eat it then I should eat it.
  • atx7
    atx7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Subway is disgusting on its own. I can't imagine anyone thinking that pizza from Subway would be in any way appetizing.
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    I agree - Dont eat it at all. I have done that with Carbs - I let the "good" ones in, and the "bad" ones found their way into my mouth. So now, I am back to no bread, cookies, chips, pretzels, pasta, etc... Once you have stayed away for a while, your body wont crave it anymore. I found that for months, I didnt even want anything to do with carbs or sugar... letting it back in made me want it all the time.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    It's kind of like an addiction. The only way to beat it is to NEVER eat that particular food or food combination. STAY AWAY!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Eat it in a public bathroom.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It's kind of like an addiction. The only way to beat it is to NEVER eat that particular food or food combination. STAY AWAY!!

^^this
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I agree don't eat it right now! Let it be a reward for loosing 10lbs (or whatever) I bet after you loose the wieght it wont be as yummy because you know the calories and what it did to your body already! It won't be worth it. Go home and make a english muffin pizza to satisfy the pizza craving. It will fill you up and make you feel better that is was only 150 calories instead of 1500!!!!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

And what happens if you do fall off the wagon? What's wrong with eating in moderation instead?
  • uxbridgeheli
    Options
    As you are even contemplating again I agree with the others.
    Stay away from it all together for now.
    That sounds like an awful meal to me anyway and it certainly isn't good for you in any way shape or form.
    Don't go, spend your money on some nice fruit and veg and get that feel good feeling from eating healthily.
    Good luck with it - It's not gonna be easy!
    H x
  • samanthasky
    samanthasky Posts: 114 Member
    Options

Try a healthier alternative such as a white pizza which has considerable less calories, also I am usually full after a 6" sub so I save half of it for the next day. Just cut down on your portions and maybe start out small by eating half of the pizza and saving the other half for the next day. Also Do you really need a 32 oz. soft drink that seems like alittle overkill if you ask me , I usually just get a bottled water and no chips or cookie.

Thank you! And at the Subway's by my house, there is a combo that comes with the big drink so I just feel like getting my money's worth!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I agree don't eat it right now! Let it be a reward for loosing 10lbs (or whatever) I bet after you loose the wieght it wont be as yummy because you know the calories and what it did to your body already! It won't be worth it. Go home and make a english muffin pizza to satisfy the pizza craving. It will fill you up and make you feel better that is was only 150 calories instead of 1500!!!!

This is not a good idea. Using food as a reward never ends well.

I agree with all the other posts that say, stop eating it altogether. As a matter of fact, cut out all sugary snacks and cut back your bread consumption. The only way to beat a Bad Carb habit/addiction/cravings is to stop eating it. Once you stop the cravings will go away.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Eat it in a public bathroom.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^^Now THAT is a suggestion I never would've thought of!! :laugh:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    yadda yadda yadda stop eating it altogether yadda yadda yadda.

You should also never drink beer. And cake, don't eat cake, even at a wedding or your birthday. Ice cream is right out too. And don't eat well done meat, cause of the carcinogens. And don't ever eat dressing...in fact anything with preservatives. You also can't eat any of the fresh produce from the grocery store because that aisle is right next to the dressing aisle and all the bad cancer causing death-miobes permeate the food through osmosis. In fact if someone holds a gun to your head right now and says EAT THIS CHICKEN NUGGET OR DIE don't do it...because chicken nuggets will kill you.

The only thing you can ever eat for the rest of your life is grass fed grass that's been blessed by your neighborhoods premier hippie...and stevia.
  • boldtsmith
    boldtsmith Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Give yourself permision...4 times a year. Put the dates on the calandar and look forward to them.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Figure out which part you really want. The pizza? The cookie? The chips? Only get the part that makes you want to go there. Get a diet soda or water. Sub the rest of the meal accordingly (apple instead of chips, no cookie/100cal pack, 400 or less calorie sub).
  • GrnEydGrl86
    GrnEydGrl86 Posts: 154
    Options
    What do you want more? I highly doubt subway pizza is worth the calories. I also think you know the answer to the question you are asking....you just want permission to continue eating it. :tongue:
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My idea:
    Become a "Food Snob" think about the way that Subway Pizza actually tastes, now think about the best slice of pizza you have ever had. Even if it's far away from where you live. Now think in comparison is that Subway pizza even worth spending your money on? Would you rather spend less money and consume fewer calories by making your own pizza at home, where you can put whatever you like on it? And then you can have that amazing slice of pizza from your absolute favorite place every couple of months or something.
    Also, maybe thinking of eating out as a special occasion and eating at home as the norm can help you not make those "unworthy" pit stops. Good luck
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for every single "don't eat it EVER!!" people. What a sad existence you must live. It must be hard to be in prison everyday.

To the OP, how often do you crave this meal? Once a week? Lets say its once a week, can you cut it down and have it once every two weeks? Then, on the weekends you crave it but are not eating it, replace the subway pizza with a homemade veggie pizza (boboli thin crust or whole wheat pita, 1/4 c cheese, sauce, and a crap load of veggies), baked potato slices with a little bit of olive oil dredged over them, and either water or diet drink of your choice. Then after doing that for a couple of months, cut it down to once a month. All the mean time, log what you eat, even your subway meal.

I will guarantee you will find yourself not wanting the subway pizza very often.