How many would you add?

Options
So I work weekends two 16hour shifts in a row. When I'm at work I'm on my feet all day, lifting, sweating some. I'm a CNA at a nursing home. Any who I have my cals set for weekdays at 1200, because I don't do much on week days. I have been giving my self 500 extra cals on weekends. How many would you give your self?

Replies

• Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    How much extra I allow myself to eat totally depends on how many calories I have burned throughout my day.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You might play around with this site to see how your different days look according to it: http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced If I add 8 hours of walking to my regular day it says I burn 590 calories extra, but of course your mileage will vary.
  • mgnmsn
    mgnmsn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    get a heart rate monitor! i got one at walmart that looks just like a watch. wear it and see what you do during those hours at work.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Maybe try getting a fitbit and syncing it with MFP. It will take all of that in to account based solely on how much you are on your fit. May be the best way for your type of work. And you have my praises, I was a cna for several years and I know what a tough job that is!!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    You could always go in and change your settings on the day you work, under guided for the option of standing/walking all day. I think nurse might be mentioned in that group and CNA would qualify, even though you might do more lifting than some of the nurses (and I'm a CNA and a nursing student so I can say that LOL :P). That way you would know, and you could either leave the settings and go "over" on those days or actually change them each time.

The rest of the week make sure you're netting 1200 calories by eating back exercise calories.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    get a heart rate monitor! i got one at walmart that looks just like a watch. wear it and see what you do during those hours at work.

HRM is not going to help unless your heart rate is actually elevated to your target zone during these times. And I am guessing based walking, normal pace it isn't going to be elevated. Fitbit or pedometer would be your best bet.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I work retail on the weekends so I end up logging it as "light cleaning" for half my shift.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    So I work weekends two 16hour shifts in a row. When I'm at work I'm on my feet all day, lifting, sweating some. I'm a CNA at a nursing home. Any who I have my cals set for weekdays at 1200, because I don't do much on week days. I have been giving my self 500 extra cals on weekends. How many would you give your self?

I would get a HRM/Fitbit/Bodybug.
  • lauraemthomson
    lauraemthomson Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i am a nurse and i work on my feet all day like urself... i worse my heart rate monitor one day to work (13 hour shift) and i burned 320 cals much to my disoppointment so try not to over estimate!. And that was based on a weight of 90kg and height of 5 foot 7. so if u weight less then less cals burned!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    First of all well done on that huge weight loss so far...it certainly is working for you and very inspiring!
    I would say if you're on the your feet all day that you are burning way more than the extra 500 cals your allowing yourself. Don't you think the best way in general is to let your body tell you if you need more cals? if you feel hungry or lacking in energy then its time to up those cals. Its all about making the right eating choices.

All the best for reaching your goal :)
  • mejustsmaller316
    mejustsmaller316 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I need a heart monitor. I just thought 500 would be a safe amount to add until I know for sure, However, I always go over my goal of 1700 on weekend. My body may need more than that on weekend. idk
  • mejustsmaller316
    Options
    I work retail on the weekends so I end up logging it as "light cleaning" for half my shift.

That's a good idea
  • mejustsmaller316
    Options

That's a good idea

well, I just tryed that and a half my shift 8 hours. It says 1863 cals burned. Thats a lot of cals.