Sugar Detox

Options
So I've been logging some this week even though I haven't done the full day on most days. Its really about getting back into the habit of logging. What I now realized is that I am so hooked on sugar. Has anyone had to do a detox from sugar? If so, what did you do--a gradual process or cold turkey?

Replies

• terylhairmom
    Options
    I have found that a "fast" can reduce cravings. Going without food or drink for 3 consecutive meals and then avoiding the sugary stuff to break your fast can work! I usually fast on Mondays to "detox" after the weekend. Good Luck!
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My wife and I were just talking about this yesterday. We've decided to try to cut out all "extra" and added sugars. We'll still eat fruit, but we're going to stop adding sugar to meals and begin to avoid baked goods... for a while at least... Good luck with what ever you choose!
  • imoquenn
    imoquenn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Posting so I can check later. I'm just starting a sugar detox after recognizing its addictive properties/negative effect on my mood, so I'd like to know how it's worked out for others. :)
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I do this periodically for 1 week. I don't eat sugar for 1 week... Now, someone once pointed out the deficiencies in my planning since bread has sugar in it, and I continued to eat bread. I also continued to eat fruit.

But... I cut out the sugars that are more obvious. No sweets, no sodas... just doing that made a HUGE difference for me. You ahve more energy because you don't get the sugar high/crash and burns.

It's almost like a detox for me, I just feel great (after the first couple days which truly suck!)
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Best sugar detox is just burn off the calories that come from sugar. That's what I've learned and average 90 to 240 minutes of cardio a day =\
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Best sugar detox is just burn off the calories that come from sugar. That's what I've learned and average 90 to 240 minutes of cardio a day =\

Good god, do you have time for anything else?! I'm lucky to squeeze in 30-60 minutes, usually over my lunch hour because that's the only free time I get!
  • jenniprr
    jenniprr Posts: 119
    Options
    Doing Phase 1 of South Beach for 2 weeks is what did it for my husband and I. It really resets your taste buds and cuts cravings.
  • Tarale1
    Tarale1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey,

sort of went cold turkey. So i didn't allow myself any ice cream, chocolate, etc. for at least a month. I changed from having white sugar to cane sugar (that helped a lot) and got a lot of my sugar from fruits. I re-introduced when it was "safe" to where i wouldn't abuse having those things. I also just finished a 21 day challenge that you can find on here.