Best to eat a meal before of after exercise?

Options
I often exercise first thing in the morning or around 1pm as that fits in best with my day, my question is, is it best to have my meal (breakfast or lunch) before or after doing my exercise or doesn't it really matter?

Many thanks for any replies :happy:

Replies

• stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter.

You also don't need to consume protein within 2 hours after working out.

Meal timing is irrelevant.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really matter. It's personal preference. Me, I cannot eat a meal before working out, unless I want to throw up. A snack half an hour before tends to sit better.
  • VinceFrat
    VinceFrat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    best to have some small amount of carbs about 1/2 hour before working out. Slice of whole wheat bread or some equivalent with a small dab of peanut or almond butter. The half hour gives the body time to digest the food and turn it into energy. Which, you'll need to do your exercises.

Remember to breath normally while working out. Like your car burning fuel it needs oxygen to burn it's fuel (fat)

Definitely eat the proteins within a short time of working out. Proteins build the muscle and helps with the recovery as well. Having a protein bar in the car waiting for you works well too.

Hope this helps, Vinny
  • AstyPasty
    AstyPasty Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Vinny - many thanks for the helpful reply, I hadn't given my protein intake much thought but will definitely bear in mind what you suggest.

Thanks for all the replies :smile:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I would base this decision off of personal preference, lifestyle, and gym performance. It's not going to make any massive physiological difference either way.