Fibre question for those on low carb

Options
How do those of you who adopt a low carb lifestyle get enough fibre? I'm going to take a wild stab and say veges, but I'm just wondering how much vege you consume? I know I struggle to get my fibre in with a sizeable amount of veges if I don't have some grains as well. But I may be just lacking imagination. ;)

Could I possibly see some examples of food diaries? It would be very much appreciated.

Replies

• brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I just saw this now, so sorry it's late...

One word though... Metamucil!!! I take it every day, every breakfast and it helps keep me feeling fpregular and flat in the stomach. If I miss a day, I notice because my 'same time' goes out the window. But I generally get enough fibre through grains and vegetables, but I really like the way Metamucil makes me feel each day. I feel less bloated and flatter in the tummy than without it.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    no on metamucil

nuts have alot of fiber...green veggies
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Seeds, greens, berries and beans.

Fun to say, so easy to remember :)
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Veggies - carrots, avocados, broccoli, greens

Fruits - berries, apples (watch apple size most store apples could be as big as 2 servings)

Nuts - almonds, cashews, walnuts

My go to snacks are

Small apple with some fresh almond butter
    Baby Carrots with guacamole (100 calorie pack of Wholly Guac or Walmart store brand)
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I do take fiber supplements (pills) but now I'm switching to Chia seeds. I have increased my veggies, but I'm still looking for ways myself.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I get fiber through the veggies I eat. As long as I am regular, I don't worry about it too much. If you are worried about regularity, try some fermented veggies, kombucha or yogurt. It will help!
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Ok. I understand why people say low carb diets are great, the agricultural revolution is naff all when you map out our evolutionary timeline. I also understand that we wouldn't have been into root vegetables as much as above ground. Why can't you eat broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, spinach etc? I'm not getting at anyone, I'd just like to know.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    the best thing i found on this site so far has been the spinach smoothy, it gets me a packed 2 cups (plus) fresh spinach, i throw in a tomato, a mini cucumber, handful of mini carrots, a cup of fresh pineapple and a banana and a cup of water, blend it into a smoothy, its a sweet treat and i ate my veggies and got my fiber, i feel like i'm cheating because its like having dessert
  • Scobra41
    Scobra41 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This chart I just found thanks to your question.

http://www.wehealny.org/healthinfo/dietaryfiber/fibercontentchart.html

Personally I eat lentils and apples every day. Beans often.
    All Bran buds very rarely but help in a pinch.
  • TokenFatGirlNoMore
    Options
    Ok. I understand why people say low carb diets are great, the agricultural revolution is naff all when you map out our evolutionary timeline. I also understand that we wouldn't have been into root vegetables as much as above ground. Why can't you eat broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, spinach etc? I'm not getting at anyone, I'd just like to know.

I'm doing keto (<20g net carbs/day) and all the veggies you mentioned are staples of a keto/low-carb diet.

I get my fiber through veggies. Flax is also a great source of fiber and you can mix it into ground beef, make flax muffins out of it, pizza crusts, etc.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    mushrooms have a good fiber/carb ratio
  • kalyn_QT
    kalyn_QT Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    fruits, veggies, nuts. also i put flax seeds in my protein smoothie and in one meal (only 1 tbsp in each so i dont taste it and it says 2tbsp=25% daily fiber).
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Milled flax seed - is a superfood! Practically carb free and very high fibre. Very common on the Atkins diet - google Atkins MIM - its a recipe for a muffin made in the microwave with flaxseed. Makes a fabulous high fibre breakfast