Cals help,

Options
Hi, any advice would be great.

Im on 1400 cals at the moment which i can cope with easily, but weight loss is soooo slow... 1lb off... then 1/2lb off then 1/2 on then 1lb off.... and im scared of getting bored if i dont see any results soon, ive lost 8lbs alltogether but i feel like ive been doing it for aaaaages.

Im thinking of lowering my cals to either 1200 or 1300 but dont want to go in to starvation mode.....or do you think i should up it to get my metabalisim working???? im sooo confused :ohwell:

Im... 4ft 11inchs short
started at... 213lbs
now... 205lbs

Thank youu. x

Replies

• debzza
    debzza Posts: 25 Member
    Options
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is working. I would try lower.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I'm on 1100 a day. I'm going for 2 lbs loss each week. I personally think I could go lower to lose more.. I'm impatient and want to get through this fast.. the thing is you don't want to ruin your metabolism, and you don't want to reach your goal and then start eating more and gain it all back. So if I do decide I wanna go lower to lose weight faster, I'll go to the Dr. 2 lbs a week is safe.. I think it is the most usually recommended if you aren't going to the Dr for weight loss..
  • angleu
    angleu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    DO NOT LOWER YOUR CALORIES..lol Seriously.. Do you want long term weight loss or short and fast and gain it back? Mine is set at 1431 plus I eat ALL my exercise calories. This is a long journey.. The faster you drop the weight by eating to little the harder it will be to keep it off..

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ do not eat below your bmr.

Now myself, I'm getting married in 3 weeks. Still eating about 1600-1700 calories a day including work outs. When I get back from my honeymoon, I will increase my calories to where it needs to be. But I still don't eat below my bmr.

It will be better in long term success if you lose 1lb a week..for a month i lost nothing..but i stuck to it then 3lbs came off but it didn't happen till I ate more to be honest..
  • debzza
    Options
    ok great, so maybe go to 1200 for a few weeks and see how that works out???
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

Did you read angleu's post?
  • angleu
    angleu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    ugh! 1200 calories is like eating nothing. I'm going to shut up now..lol Gl on your journey But keep in mind hair loss and other things can happen if you eat too little for your body for too long of a period.
  • debzza
    Options

Did you read angleu's post?

no sorry crossed posts...
  • debzza
    Options
    Sorry we must have been typing at the same time.....ok, so im going to work out my BMR again and see what that recomends, but your overall advice is "dont go below it"? x
  • tango645
    tango645 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say about 98% of all my logged days here on MFP have been well below (400-500+ cals) below my BMR, and I rarely eat back all of my exercise calories. I understand the whole "eat more, lose more" argument, but I've never had a problem losing while eating below my BMR. If you'd like, try eating more for a couple weeks and see if anything changes. If not, then your macros (fat/protein/carbs) may be a factor. Personally, I could eat 1200-1400 calories a day without feeling hungry, and if I'm not hungry, I won't eat. Also, make sure to drink plenty of water!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    Right, don't go below your BMR. Go to that website fat2fitradio.com and see what it says. I know it will seem like a lot, and I thought so, too, when I used it, but then I went to a dietitian and got my metabolism tested, and she has me eating 1850-1900, which is just a little under what I got from f2f!

Edited because I can't type coherently today, apparently!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    The advice to not eat below your BMR is from a site called Fat 2 Fit Radio, which is run by two dieters, though one is a PE teacher. I don't see any other qualifications.

I have never run across any medical or otherwise qualified recommendation to not eat below your BMR if you're overweight and it doesn't put you below 1200 calories/day.
  • debzza
    Options
    my BMR says 1673, then says x that by 1.375 = 2300 cals?!?!?! ... so do i have 1673 or 2300 cals a day?!?!

I know i might sound thick but once i know which amount to stick to and see results ill be happy. x
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    If you do the 2300, you do not eat back your exercise calories, because activity is factored in. The more weight you need to lose, the lower calories you'll be able to get away with at first, but eventually you'll stall. This is a lot to read, but it's good information. http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/
  • debzza
    Options
    If you do the 2300, you do not eat back your exercise calories, because activity is factored in. The more weight you need to lose, the lower calories you'll be able to get away with at first, but eventually you'll stall. This is a lot to read, but it's good information. http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/

Thank you, it does sound a lot to me but if i havent got to eat cals back then thats fine, i can see from your ticker that you know what you are talking about!!! I thought i was doing so well but seen as its stopped i thought id ask for help... thank you for taking the time to answer me . xx
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'd have to say about 98% of all my logged days here on MFP have been well below (400-500+ cals) below my BMR, and I rarely eat back all of my exercise calories. I understand the whole "eat more, lose more" argument, but I've never had a problem losing while eating below my BMR. If you'd like, try eating more for a couple weeks and see if anything changes. If not, then your macros (fat/protein/carbs) may be a factor. Personally, I could eat 1200-1400 calories a day without feeling hungry, and if I'm not hungry, I won't eat. Also, make sure to drink plenty of water!

This biggest problem is people don't understand the ramifications of under eating. Like yourself, they think that hungry is a signal of whether or not a person should eat. Well here is the problem with hunger signals, it can be suppressed. All you have to do is go a week without eating higher calories and your body will adjust. Now multiply that out by months and you can see where it gets you. Also, your body doesn't know the difference between a lb of chicken vs a pound of carrots. Quantity is still the same but calories are different.

Now, as a man, you have more nutritional requirements to maintain muscle mass. So what happens when you don't feed your body to run properly... simple, it coverts the amino acids from muscle into energy and stores fat. And what happens when you lose muscle... your metabolism slows down and your body becomes less effective at burning calories. That means, you burn less calories at rest and while being active which makes it even harder to lose weight and even easier to gain body fat. Now, I understand it may be working for you now, but long term, when you are in a healthy range, it's going to be very very difficult to lose the last few pounds. If you want to track your body fat in correlation with your weight loss, you can see how much lean body mass you have lost.

OP,

Below is a good article I suggest you read. It describes the issues I discussed above. Also, you should aim to eat 20-30% below your TDEE (30% is fine until you are within 50 lbs of your weight goal). Simply put, calories are fuel and if you don't feed yourself enough, your body will fight to preserve the calories. You have to remember our bodies are designed to withstand famine, which means it will store body fat when it feels there isn't enough coming in. Now, if you really want to tighten your body and become smaller/slimmer, then you should incorporate weight training. WT will cut more body fat than cardio will and it will help maintain your muscle.

And I would have you eat around 1800 calories (35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats).

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/core_march_8.htm
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you're losing weight at a healthy pace. You didn't gain it all in one week, you surely won't lose it all in one week. It takes time, plus its much healthier and sustainable only losing 1lb or less a week.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4'', so pretty short too. I was going with the daily calories and adding exercise. I wasn't really getting anywhere. Now I eat at my BMR, and if my deficit for the week gets too high with exercise factored in, I will take a day or two to eat more. Also, any calories I earn after 5 pm, I'll add to my daily allowance. I do my main workout in the morning, so it usually isn't a whole lot more. I track my calories using my FitBit. (My daily intake, before any 'extras' is 1900. I workout moderate/high intensity 45 minutes 5-6 mornings a week +walk 1+ hours a day most days)
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I sometimes get too focused on immediate results. Since you can cope with 1400 calories, just focus on staying in your meal/calorie plan. Go out and exercise, dance, run, play in the park.. but don't focus on the scale. Time will go by much quicker and the pounds will keep coming off. If you don't be careful, you'll be weighing yourself every day! :laugh: Re-focus on fun things.
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    when i started here, i was on 1400 cals, and i lost 11 pounds in 3 weeks. yay! since then, about a month, i havent lost anymore. I went into my settings and realized that i was not being honest with myself. i hadnt put my settings in properly because i didn't think i could *only* eat 1200 cals and not be hungry. so i changed my settings, it lowered my cals to 1230 and guess what? i am not hungry! hmm. i haven't weighed in since i change my cals since it was just a few days ago, but i am very curious to see if it makes a difference. i am also adding in some new exercises, since all i have been doing is walking. i am starting 30 day shred today, wish me luck! (also can add me as friend if you like. i need more friendly motivation. this applies to anyone!) good luck! :smile: