Step class?

Options
I'm really interested in trying a step class, but I'm not sure what to expect?

Also, the most convenient step class for me to go to seems rather clicky, so I'm trying to make sure its something I won't fall flat on my face during. I usually do three hour long combat classes a week, and two 60 minute spin classes.

Any advice (or experience in step) would be great!

Replies

• fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i used to step all the time. It's a great workout. I would suggest gettign there early and setting up in the middle of the room so that you can see the instructor. I would start with one riser. Step is like choreographed dance moves really. I have gone to classes that are more Hip Hop or ones that are Zumba inspired. It all depends on the instructor.

There are basic moves that are known by everyone that you will need to know. Depending on your class they may teach these. If you get lost just keep moving your feet. You can always go back to a basic step until you find your way back. Step can very much be cliquie but just ingnore them.

It's nice to hear everyone's feet hitting the step at once which makes a great beat but really you should be as light on your feet as possible.

The choreography can get really challenging. I have been going to step for 15 years or so and there are certain classes that I still can't keep up with lol. Once you learn the beats you will figure out that many of the moves that the instructor uses can be substituted for other moves that may feel like a better fit for you. You seem like you are in good physical condition endurance wise so you just need to learn the moves. Maybe go 10min early and ask the instructor to go over the basic moves. I'm sure you can look up the basic moves on You Tube.

Most classes end with strenth training and ab work. It is a great workout! Now you make me want to Step lol
    Good Luck!
  • SunshineDieter
    Options
    I've had a look at some youtube videos (don't know why I didn't think to do that lol) and whilst my lack of coordination is going to be a problem, I'm excited to try as its definitely more choreographed that I expected (I assumed it'd be 'one foot up, one foot down').

Thanks for you help :)
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I am currently taking a step class once a week at my gym and love it! Really kills my butt and calves afterwards! I'm wanting to start hiking more (taking a trip to the Grand Canyon at the end of August and we're gonna hike down into the canyon and spend the night) so it seems like this step class emulates that more than the other gym classes. For me, as with any class, the teacher really makes or breaks it for me. Someone who is energetic and gets me going and it sweating just as much as me makes me want to push myself. My teacher also doesn't stop. At all.

A friend and I made the mistake of starting off with 2 risers and go freaking god did that kill. I would start with 1 and see if it's easy or hard for you and go from there.
  • SunshineDieter
    Options
    I don't know what 'risers' means? Sorry lol.
    Whenever I've used a step as a 'bench' for pump the 'legs' of it come out to make it higher, or they can stay underneath to keep it small? Do I keep it small to start?

I've done spin with the teacher before, and she's lovely. She's just so good, she actually has a fan club - and they seem unbelievably snobby about newbies. Oh well, I'm too excited to get started at step, sticks and stones I guess :)
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Yes the risers are the things that you can stack to make it more challenging. I am tall so I thought I should use 2 on each side. Ummm no 1 riser just about killed me.
  • octoberk
    octoberk Posts: 4
    Options
    The first time I tried step- it was challenging, and I was disgustingly sweaty and gross afterwards. I hated it the first time, mostly because I was uncoordinated and felt lost. I also had 2 risers on my very first time.

Regardless, I tried it again, with one riser on each side and it went a lot better. I enjoy it for the most part but I'm still in the adjustment period. I do like it because it is a fantastic lower body/cardio workout.
  • jmoneycgt
    jmoneycgt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Also, the most convenient step class for me to go to seems rather clicky, so I'm trying to make sure its something I won't fall flat on my face during. I usually do three hour long combat classes a week, and two 60 minute spin classes.

Are you talking about BodyCombat, RPM & BodyStep? if my assumption is correct, these group fitness classes generally have a pretty loyal following. It may seem cliquey but it is really more like an open family, at least every where I have gone that is the Les Mills mentality. You give it your all and keep coming back, you will see those familiar faces, and to me it is something I find comfort in.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I don't know what 'risers' means? Sorry lol.
    Whenever I've used a step as a 'bench' for pump the 'legs' of it come out to make it higher, or they can stay underneath to keep it small? Do I keep it small to start?

I've done spin with the teacher before, and she's lovely. She's just so good, she actually has a fan club - and they seem unbelievably snobby about newbies. Oh well, I'm too excited to get started at step, sticks and stones I guess :)

Yep that's pretty much it! It'll elevate the step so you get a tougher workout. Unless you do a lot of stairs or hiking and such, I would recommend 1 and go from there. If you think "1 up" is too easy after the first class, kick it up a notch next time. :) And good luck with the snobs, they can be so frustrating!

And hey! I do spin too! Isn't it lovely! :D