HRM logging workouts...

Options
Is it best to track your cardio workout separate from your strenghth training...??? For example if I do a cardio workout followed immediately by strenghth training should I stop my HRM after the cardio and then restart for the strenghth training? I understand that in terms of logging the exercises into MFP it should be separate workouts, but I'm looking to see what methods others use. I mostly do cardio and I'm getting ready to start strenghth training... thanks!

Replies

• DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I think it is just personal preference. I usually stop mine after cardio then start it again for the weight training. For me this works as I don't lift every day and it helps to keep track of progress of both separately.

Good for you to start strength training. With lifting you will see so much progress, definition, and increased metabolism. Have fun!
  • Tmrice721
    Tmrice721 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think it is just personal preference. I usually stop mine after cardio then start it again for the weight training. For me this works as I don't lift every day and it helps to keep track of progress of both separately.

Good for you to start strength training. With lifting you will see so much progress, definition, and increased metabolism. Have fun!

Thanks! That's what I was going to do, but I know there can be different ways so I'm just looking for ideas to try to see what works best for me.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    HRM's aren't going to accurate during strength training.. Only cardio.

When I do my weight training, I do a quick 5 minute warm up and then start strength training.. and I don't stop my HRM and restart it. I then use it for timing rest periods and gauging where my heart rate is.. but for calories burned during strength, it's crap shoot because there are so many variables and HRM's can't accurately predict all of them.

So bottom line.. Count the calories burned from cardio, but not from strength while use an HRM.
  • phillips529
    phillips529 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their opinion and in the end do what is good for you!

First let me start by saying...weight training is the way to go. If you want a body transformation like no other weight training is the answer...especially circuit training. If I could do this journey over again... I would have put cardio to a minimum and go straight to circuit training with weights. By doing excessive cardio....I lost my girls.....I miss them so! (personally anyway)

As for the HRM...I use it for whatever suits my fancy...where I'm going to break a sweat cardio, weight training...I use it. If its for different types of exercises I stop and restart and log it in as such. It's what you want to do. You can log it in together...it's up to you!