Frustrated....

So I started getting back into shape 4 weeks ago.... I went from 240 to 230 with in 2 weeks! I'm using FintessPal and staying in my caloric limits....eating healthy and working out 5 days a week. I do the stationary bike for 45 minutes.. 10 miles then spend 45 minutes lifting weights! I feel so much better!

The issue is that I am stuck at 228#......I guess that I am gaining muscle as fast as I am losing fat...is that possible? I just ordered a BMI machine so I can at least see the changes in my BMI. I also did take measurements last week so I'm going to take them again this week.

Replies

• Megan1587
    Megan1587 Posts: 2 Member
    Try changing up your workout routine, our bodies get used to the things we do over time and when that happens you hit a wall. Try doing different weight lifting exercises or a different type of cardio and opefully you'll see a change by next week!
  • 1sgtloco
    1sgtloco Posts: 5
    Yea I took a day off from the gym yesterday and went for a 30 minute jog instead and I think I'll hit the elliptical machine instead of the bike this week.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Do you have a heart rate monitor? I discovered MFP was overestimating my calorie expenditure during exercise ... by as much as 2x.

I have started losing again by inputting the HRM #s versus MFP guesstimate.

Good luck.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    It's only been 4 weeks. You've lost 12 lbs in those 4 weeks. I wouldn't call this being "stuck". Patience and persistence...
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Weight loss isn't linear, you are averaging 3#/week still which is a lot. Be patient.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    You're doing great. It's normal to have weeks where you don't lose. You absolutely could be building muscle.

Is it too late to cancel that order for that "BMI machine"? BMI is nothing but your weight compared to your height, and it's easily obtained free online. BMI will tell you nothing a scale won't. Do you mean you ordered a body fat scale? That might be a bit better but I never had luck with seeing any changes on those, either. Your best guide is how your clothes fit or how you look and feel.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    I know it is frustrating - we have all been your shoes at some point, but you are doing great. You only want to lose about 2 lbs/week that way it stays off. I would suggest changing up your workout routine and calorie intake. If we don't keep our bodies guessing, they get used to the same thing day in and day out. My bf and I call it muscle memory - you need to keep your muscles guessing.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    It's only been 4 weeks. You've lost 12 lbs in those 4 weeks. I wouldn't call this being "stuck". Patience and persistence...

^True! You are going to have lots of moments like this in your journey. Expect it and keep going anyway.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member

This. Keep it up though!
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member

^^^ This. You often get a big loss up front from dropping excess retained water. You're doing fine - keep doing what you're doing!
  • fajitatx
    fajitatx Posts: 36
    In just under 4 months of working out at least 3 times a week with weights for 60-90 minutes each time, I have only put on 1.5 lbs of muscles. I actually gained about 2 lbs of upper body muscle (pretty even split between my arms and my torso), but I lost about .5 lbs in my legs (I didn't do as much leg weight training as I was doing upper body).

During that same period, I lost 18.5 lbs of fat. Leaving me with about a 17lb net loss from 2/1 until 5/25.

However, in any given week my weight could fluctuate as much as 7 lbs depending upon how much water I drank or how hard I was working out. Your muscles retain a lot of water when you are working them hard with weights.

I highly recommend you get a body composition scan at least once every 6 months or so, I got one that is X-ray based. There are others, but getting it will give you a good base line and allow you to keep track on your progress. I intend to get another in September. I hope to add another 2lbs of muscle by the end of the summer.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    I think you are looking way to much into it. The same thing happenend to me, I lost 15lbs right away, from switching to healthy foods with less sodium, and working out, but gained 5lbs back once I started to see gains in my lifting, you aren't really adding new muscle you are basically just making the muscle you have stronger, and that is going to be a little bit heavier, but mostly just retain a lot more water at first. So just stick with it, because after that it starts to drop off quickly again, around 2 - 3lbs a week. I have also pretty muched peaked with how much stronger I am making the muscle I have, so I added some protien/recovery shake to it, and noticed the first week I started to do that, I also didn't lose as much, because I was retaining more water.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 749 Member
    You always want to vary your workout and not do the same workout every day or you will plateau like you have. If you keep the same workout every other day and add a different workout to the days in between you will see a difference.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Be patient, and change up your work out routine, regularly! I don't think you should be frustrated, you have made tremendous strides in a very short amount of time. Consistent persistence will pay off. Keep it up!
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    I think you are looking way to much into it. The same thing happenend to me, I lost 15lbs right away, from switching to healthy foods with less sodium, and working out, but gained 5lbs back once I started to see gains in my lifting, you aren't really adding new muscle you are basically just making the muscle you have stronger, and that is going to be a little bit heavier, but mostly just retain a lot more water at first. So just stick with it, because after that it starts to drop off quickly again, around 2 - 3lbs a week. I have also pretty muched peaked with how much stronger I am making the muscle I have, so I added some protien/recovery shake to it, and noticed the first week I started to do that, I also didn't lose as much, because I was retaining more water.

I started pretty close to where you were (230 at 5'8") and lost 3+ pounds for the first month and a half - but I was doing only cardio and no strength training. I am down to 185 and now starting to do strength training (I've been doing crunches for a couple months - trying to work that flab away even though I know you don't spot reduce) - but staring to do pushups and other 'body weight' strength training. I figure I'm going to slow down no - plus I'm getting close to upping my calorie goal so I can transition more smoothly into my goal weight.

Ultimately are you feeling better? Losing size instead of weight? Those are the important things, not the scale number.
  • 1sgtloco
    1sgtloco Posts: 5
    Thanks for all the advice and encouragement...! I guess I need to focus on how I am feeling physically and not the scale for now. I was shocked when my doctor said I was obese and if you look at the height to weight this is true....but when I was in the Army the tape measured me and said I could go over due to my build. According to the BMI table I should weigh 172! I was that in High School..that is why I want to test my BMI...to see where I really am!