Fat Arms - Help!!! Wedding in 10 weeks

Hi all! I'm 5'5" 155lbs small frame (5.5" wrists) wow that's a lot of 5's!!! Anyways, my arms are 12 inches around my bicep and 12.5" flexed. I'm getting married in 10 weeks and I'm going to start a running program 3x week as well as yoga 2x week and weights 1x week. Do you think this will help? Has anyone had any major success with toning arms? I have such small shoulders, and small wrists, I don't understand why my arms are disproportionate?! I'm worried about lifting too much because I don't want them to get bigger, but if they stayed the same but got more toned I would be happy! Advice???

Replies

• Jalyst79
    Jalyst79 Posts: 50 Member
    Strength training. Push ups, hand weights or get a video that works with the bands. You will tone up your arms that way. Also, eat some protein, it's good to build muscle. If you just lose weight, your arms with get flabbier.
  • mfergie889
    mfergie889 Posts: 77
    I have had tons of success with running when I want to slim down my arms. That, as well as the elliptical (the one where there are handles where you can use your arms to pump). Besides triceps work, I avoid weights because they always make my arms bigger. I think running combined with cutting back on carbs and sugar will help a lot.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Strength training. Push ups, hand weights or get a video that works with the bands. You will tone up your arms that way. Also, eat some protein, it's good to build muscle. If you just lose weight, your arms with get flabbier.

I agree completely
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Strength training.

The first thing that comes to mind is Tricep Dips. You don't need any equipment. I do them at home on the floor while I'm watching TV =)
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Start lifting weights. I started n.r.o.l.w. a month ago, and have gone from 12" to 11" in a month.
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    I agree: strength training, about 3 times a week.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Strength training has been proven to cut fat faster than cardio, so I would cut cardio and increase ST. The unfortunate part is, you can't determine where the fat loss comes from since you can't spot reduce.

ps- when we talk ST, we mean heavy weights, low reps. You want to fail around 8 reps.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Yoga will totally help.. along with strength training! Good luck!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    I got warned for making suggestions on what you can do to help. sorry.

so lift heavy.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Additionally, you should aim to eat 20% below your TDEE.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Cut the cardio and do some heavy lifting - you will not get bigger. High weights, low reps - New Rules of Lifting for Women is awewome! Or you can check out bodybuilding.com or bodyrock.tv for free workout routines.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    strength training 3-4 days a week lift heavy you will not bulk up (its almost impossible for women to bulk up)
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    I don't think you have to worry about bulking too much -- it takes quite a lot. I've lost a 1/2 inch off my arms while doing strength training 3x/week plus plenty of cardio to lose weight. My biceps are looking really good but not at all bulky, and the waddle has definitely tightened. Put extra focus on triceps.
  • Kettlebell swings. Those are great. If you do a search in youtube you can find the proper technique. Good luck!!
  • RenRenO
    RenRenO Posts: 8
    No worries about bulking up! Strenght training is def important! I've noticed my arms getting more toned and less flabby by doing weights. To tone, you should be doing 12-15 reps for each excersice, and pick a weight that your last 3 reps should burn. If they don't then your weights aren't heavy enough, and if it burns too early, then they're too heavy! But DEF weight train! And tricep dips like mentioned on a previous post.
    WORKED for me :))
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    30 day shred, and jillians Kettlebell DVD worked wonders for my arms, and pretty much everything else! :)
  • danielleisms
    danielleisms Posts: 42 Member
    I started CrossFit two months before my wedding and it really helped tone my arms.
  • tahoemads
    tahoemads Posts: 64 Member
    Strength train, cut back on your running. Cut out dairy and grains, increase your protein and fats. And lift heavy. It will NOT make you bulk up. You'll lean out.

Planks, tri dips and push ups work well too. Body resistance training is the best way. Stay away from machines. Free weight.