Finished Couch to 5K!!!! Now what?!?!?

Options
I made it all the through. I repeated weeks 5 & 6 along the way, but I did it!

Now I am looking around for what to do next. have already run a 5K race and will run more.

I know that I can just keep running the 30 minutes but I liked the structure of the program.

I would love to get suggestions on what other graduates have done.

Replies

• isouda
    isouda Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone why not try the bridge to 10K programme? That is what I plan to do when I finish Couch to 5K.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone why not try the bridge to 10K programme? That is what I plan to do when I finish Couch to 5K.

^^This! Just keep bumping up your distance, or if you are not into the distance, start working on your speed. There are so many options out there... just keep looking!

And congrats on finishing a 5K race!! :drinker:
  • Pablosammy
    Pablosammy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Definitely go for a 10k. I found a huge positive change in how running 'felt' as I became able to run for an hour. I started to really enjoy it and became addicted!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    If you're happy with your speed, bridge to 10K. If you're not (like me) try to work on speed through a 5K and then move on to 10K. At least that's what I want to do.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    if you want to go distance, then do the bridge to 10k. if you want to go speed, start over w/ your current running pace as the slower pace *not including warm up lap
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Doing the Bridge to 10K as part of my traininv program. Love it as its a whole new challenge!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You could do 5k to couch, I've heard it isn't as hard. Or you could just keep going, faster, further, change to trails, just have fun.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    work on speed and keep it going.

personally, I'm not interested in running much more than 4 miles in a short period of time. I'd rather be fast fast fast at a 5k than to be a slow half marathoner.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 10 k and I've already downloaded the 21K (half marathon) app for after that.

Plus on my down days (tues, thurs, sat) i'm redoing my 5 k from scratch to work up my speed.

Just some options.
  • morandanny
    morandanny Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I should have written that, at least for the moment, I don't have time to build up to the more than hour long runs that the 10K program would require. Since the 5K program topped out at 40 minutes (5 minute walk, 30 minute run, 5 minute walk), I could fit it in my schedule.

I like the idea of speed work. Does anyone have suggestions on programs/podcasts for that?
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I should have written that, at least for the moment, I don't have time to build up to the more than hour long runs that the 10K program would require. Since the 5K program topped out at 40 minutes (5 minute walk, 30 minute run, 5 minute walk), I could fit it in my schedule.

I like the idea of speed work. Does anyone have suggestions on programs/podcasts for that?

you don't have to do a program. I would say run a 5k 3x a week and slowly increase your speed over time, with maybe a longer run once a week (4-5 miles instead of 3)

I never did C25K because I could already run. But I've personally just made mile goals for each week and each run I make a plan to hold a certain pace that speeds up over time.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I suggest what everyone else does - do the bridge to 10k or if you want to do something different (if you haven't already) - get like Jillian dvd or Turbojam - both are excellent workouts.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Congrats! How bout a 10K?! Just ran my first last weekend, and it felt great!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I started the bridge to 10 when I completed c25, but can't say I stuck to it. Instead, I just starting adding mileage, using the 10% rule, till I hit my 10 k target. I didn't get on with the bridge programme as well as I did with C25.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I did C25K and then decided to try Bridge to 10K but wasn't really feeling it. I only enjoy running for so long (I have the physical strength and endurance but get bored easily), so I had to find some other way to get my exercise in. I started going to Spinning classes in October 2011 and am addicted. I go 3-4x/week and run the other 2-3 days. I still only run for 30-45 minutes even though I finished C25K in October 2011. I think C25K set me up to have the endurance to be able to handle Spinning initially, and Spinning has majorly increased my leg strength and overall endurance (classes are at least an hour long), which makes my running stronger.

So my advice is, if you enjoy running, slowly increase your distance and/or time, and if not, find something additional to add into your routine.

Additionally, I don't know if you downloaded C25K mixes onto your phone or iPod or whatever, but I did that, and I then learned how to make my own. When I started Bridge to 10K I made some of my own mixes for that, too. All I did is take songs, create the voice prompts, and turn them into one mp3 with proper fade-ins/fade-outs and voice prompt placement so that start to finish covered one run - it helped me keep my eye off the stopwatch! Anyway, the person who set up this site tells you how to do it (and what free software to download, which I checked out on cnet before downloading), and after making a few mixes I got good at it and could put one together pretty quickly: http://diy-c25k-mp3s.com/diy-c25k-mp3s/make-your-own-mp3s/
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Do intervals.

You can start with C25k the fist few weeks will get you there. I did day 1 week 1. I barely made it though.

I did it on a treadmill because it was raining.

but elevation 0.5
    warm up was 5.4 mph
    first run 6.4
    rest 5.4
    2nd run 6.2 (ouch!)
    rest 5.2
    ..etc.
    cooldown 5.2

I did that, then also tried it next time with 5 minute regular run warm up. Then fast for the first run, then a slow walk. it really kicked my butt. After you get to the 8 minute ones, I don't think this would work out too well.
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options

^^This. Or you can just start working on your speed. There are some apps out there that will update you on your speed as you run. However, if you want to increase your speed and distance, I would NOT recommend doing both at the same time. That increases your risk of injury. I have also started mixing up my runs by doing some interval running. I have an app that lets me set the interval lengths and number of repeats.

ETA: If you just want something to give you a little structure during the run, you could use something like the Nike + GPS app. It will remember your runs, and you can set either a distance you want to run or a time you want to run. Once you've used it a few times, you can challenge yourself to beat your previous speeds or distances. It gives you an update at every mile (time + speed).
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

I like the idea of doing C25K again, and doing a slow jog instead of walking and going faster than your typical pace for the running portions. I might have to do that!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Also, congratulations on completing the program! Repeating weeks is nothing to be ashamed of - some of those time jumps are rather sudden towards the end!
  • Charlayray
    Charlayray Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am so interested in the 10K now.