Curly/Wavy haired girls out there!

Options

Replies

• jaimemariel
    jaimemariel Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I haz the hairs. I go to a nice sylist. I wash my hair pretty infrequently but I do wet it everynight in the shower. After the shower its a towel dry, a little bit of product (Daviness Momo) and then I put it into a folded over pony tail at the top of my head. It gives it a lot of body the next day. I wake up with dry or slightly damp hair, in goes a little more product (gel? mouse? whatever I'm feeling) and I'm done. I get many compliments.

Edited to say NO brushing and NO hairdryers ever.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    My hair is a wild animal. I let it do what it pleases, because products and styling have never done anything for it.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I usually wash mine before bed, let it dry on its own to the point where it's almost dry. Then I put frizz cream in it and I sock bun the sucker. Then I sleep on it. In the morning I wash my body and face etc but not my hair, then I pull it ouf ot the sock bun, spritz with curl spray, more friz cream if needed and fix up with curling iron if needed. Sock bunning has saved my life. Try it!
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have very curly hair and the added fun of an oversensitive scalp. I've tried every shampoo / conditioner combo in the world and have landed on one flavor of head and shoulders that I can tolerate followed by Tresseme curl mouse and an *kitten* ton of hair spray to keep down the frizzies. I can't even look at a blow dryer or I look like little Orphan Annie.
  • raquel_soto
    raquel_soto Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have unruly hair and 2 things have changed it:

*I got a great cut at a nearby salon. It's a perfect cut! I have ALOT of hair and very curly (almost spiraly in some places). So he cut a bit of length and layered it in such a way that as it grows out I don't get that weird triangle shape that we all get because of our curls.

*When I want to wear my hair curly, I found the perfect curl pudding.

It's the beautiful textures curl pudding @ Sally's. here's the link:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/curl-defining-pudding/SBS-370519,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

I wash it, condition, and put this sucker on. Perfect SOFT TOUCHABLE curls every time. I've never loved my hair so much curly!

My daughter has alot of hair to and very spiraly. A different texture than mine and now I put it in her hair. She has perfect curls now to.

Also, I switched shampoo/conditioner to Treseme for curls. That seemed to make a difference as well.

Hope this helps!
  • MissC787
    MissC787 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The hair is a curse! If I don't do these things it looks dry, and frizzy!!

1. When I have to choose between a good shampoo, and a good conditioner.... I always go for the good conditioner.

2. I wash/rinse with cool water.

3. I leave the conditioner on for 2-3 minutes, and comb my hair with my fingers while the conditioner is on my hair.

4. I towel dry my hair. Blow drying makes it super frizzy, and unmanageable.

5. I mix a dab of sun screen, and a dab of conditioner in my palm. Rub between both hands, and apply it like it is gel.

6. style, and let hair air dry. Unless it is going up anyway.... Then I just let it air dry before I put it up. :)
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My hair is curly and looks massive but it's actually quite thin when it's all flattened out. So friz is my problem.

Well, not so much a problem, because I don't actually give a fig. My hair philosophy is, If you don't like it, look somewhere else! I'm not going to spend MY time fussing with my hair when I could be SLEEPING.

Shampoo and condition, leave in the conditioner for as long as possible, however long it takes to finish my shower. Rinse at the scalp but try to leave some in at the tips. Put it up in a towel, DON'T RUB IT, don't comb it, nothing. When I take it out to air dry, I bend over at the waist and wriggle it around at the scalp to loosen it and define the part. Then let 'er dry if it's morning, and look fantabulous during the day. (Well, I think so.) If it feels stringy and dry I put some Aussie product on the tips.

If it just looks all wrong I comb it, put in a Sebastian thickener product, and hope for the best.

After I sleep on it I'm pretty much screwed. I usually french braid it at night, and sometimes re-do it in the morning, with de-frizzer and hairspray on top to keep the halo down. Sometimes the braid gives it waves and that's nice too.

On the weekends all bets are off: two braids or a messy bun. And not like a "messy bun" from the magazines, I mean really, a messy one.

Once or twice a year, if I have some event or occasion (job interview, family wedding) I get my hair straitened at a salon, it's usually under $40 and lasts a few days for a nice change. But I'm happy when it goes back to MY HAIR. Once I did an at-home Brazilian Blowout thing, took me and two friends all damn day, and my hair looked kindof sad, like it wanted to curl but just couldn't. I hated it. Luckily it did grow out over time.
  • chi18
    chi18 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have very thick curly hair and I have had the best luck with a Ouidad Carve and Slice haircut. I like their products as well, though I am also a fan of the Bumble & bumble curl creme. I tried the Deva Chan cut and products but I did not care for the products and thought the cut was good but kind of cookie cutter. Personally, I feel like you can get recommendations every day of your life but curly hair is so unique that you just have to keep trying things until you find what works for you. Check to see if there is a Ouidad or Deva Chan certified stylist in your area and give them each a try because those haircuts and product lines are both specifically for curly hair. Good luck!
  • SoapyPonyLevine
    SoapyPonyLevine Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I have naturally curly hair, and it takes me forever to get it as straight as in this picture!! I am learning to try to love my curls ♥

curls.jpg
    straight.jpg
  • kelley555
    kelley555 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have all these issues too. I love sunned but the humidity is terrible for my hair do. I love the low cut shirt options!!!
  • finz96
    finz96 Posts: 102
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    i never brush my hair unless I have straighten it... I was, while hair is full of conditioner I untangle with fingers, squeeze any excess water out of my hair in the shower and then wrap the towel around my hair... once I have done all else I have to do I apply the Ausie hair gell... and keep walking... everyone loves my curls...

When, I have started putting it up in a bun when I sleep as well as when I workout... seems to keep it tame
  • cspinney
    cspinney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My hair is fine, but thick, and I don't tend to get a lot of frizz. Everyone is different, but this is what works for me....

1. A hair stylist who understands curly hair; not all of them do.
    2. Long layers.
    3. The right products - for me Aveda or Abba shampoo & conditioners, I like AG Re-Coil, Tigi Curls Rock, or Aveda Be Curly for styling products.
    4. I bend over so I can blow dry with my head upside-down, using a diffuser with the dryer on low.
    5. You know those clips hair dresser use to hold peoples hair up for perms, coloring, etc? That's what my past two hair dressers have used - after cutting, and adding styling product, they scrunch up my hair in sections, use clips to hold in place, and sit me under the dryer. So this is what I do at home - get your hands on a bunch of those clips, or something similar. After partially drying with diffuser, use the clips as I have described and leave them in until your hair is mostly dry. You can take them part way through, and rearrange if you want. It takes a bit of practice but it's worth it. I usually do this at night and my hair is good to go in the morning. If there are any really unruly bits, I'll take a curling iron to them.

That said, some days my hair still won't cooperate. My hair grows really fast, and with curly hair I do find you have to constantly adapt. I like my curls though, so I try to work with it. :)
  • NouveauRee
    NouveauRee Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Bump I need all the curly frizzy hair help I can get... I've been using mixed chicks products but now that I'm in the hot humid south I desperately need something stronger to tame all of this! Can't wait to thoroughly read through all these tips to find something that works!
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Nothing that I've tried works for my hair. Once it's dried it is twice the size of my profile pic. I keep it straight most of the time now.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Love some of the ideas.

I used to always blow dry and straighten my hair. Took a lot of time and I'd really much rather be sleeping. Most days I just wash and condition. I just throw it up in a bun and eventually it makes its way to a ponytail.

I occassionally leave it down curly. I use curl mousse, I think Tresemme. I think I use too much of it but am afraid of the frizzies by not coating all the hair. I'll spritz with some spray gel for any areas that I've missed.

I've only recently been experimenting with the curls so this is all new to me.
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    ugh, when my hair is short, it's this crazy curl that looks like a perm.

When it's long, I get a half curl and mostly waves.

All the time, it's thick and heavy on my head. I usually end up throwing it in a ponytail and moving on lol
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest checking out this website:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/

You can find people with your exact same hair type, and get a lot of great advice that is specific to what your hair type needs.

I finally get along with my hair. And, while it is geared towards people who are growing their hair long, there are plenty of people who want to keep their hair shorter, but want it to be well-kept and manageable.
  • omanitshann
    omanitshann Posts: 179
    Options
    Yes I have hair like this and I live in Birmingham, AL where it stays hot and wet for about 4 months out of the year. I found a stylist that uses a technique called Carving. Its amazing. My curls lay in lovely, bouncy layers and I love it! Good luck!

your curls are so pretty!
  • omanitshann
    omanitshann Posts: 179
    Options
    I have naturally curly hair, and it takes me forever to get it as straight as in this picture!! I am learning to try to love my curls ♥

curls.jpg
    straight.jpg

You are lucky, your hair is so pretty both ways!