Kids and weights

Options
Hey All

I've recently started lifting and my 8 year old wants to 'play' too. He's healthy and active and joins in when I do cardio. I'm worried about letting him touch the weights though in case it would damage his muscle growth etc. I tried fobbing him off with my little pink barbie weights but he's having none of it. Can anyone here with a bit of knowledge on this subject help me out?

Replies

• jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    In the middle ages, knights started their training at age 5-7 (somewhere around there) and they grew up to kick all form of butt. I don't think it's going to damage their growth. Arnold was fairly young when he started weightlifting, but not that young.
  • jg627
    Options
    Welsh bowmen started about the same age too. By the time they were adults they were pulling in excess of 200 lbs. Those yew bows were a fricken cannon on a stick.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    My father started us kids weight-training at age 12. He thought that would be a safe age so as not to interfere with growing n stuff. We had a pretty intensive routine 2 nights a week right after school. I thank him every day for doing that for us.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I would definitely not start him on weights until about 12-15 years old because that will extremely hinder their growth so good job there. I would just have him do some push-ups, sit-ups, and other exercises that do not involve weight training but involve the development of their muscles.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    My kid is only 4, but I'd be more concnerned with her dropping the weight on her toes. BUT, she is very clumsy =)
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Our pediatrician said that the children should not weight train. She said girls can begin about 2 years after they start their periods, and that boys should not start before at least 15 because it can damage their growth plates.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    i mostly worry about my kids' toes!
  • jg627
    Options
    I would definitely not start him on weights until about 12-15 years old because that will extremely hinder their growth so good job there. I would just have him do some push-ups, sit-ups, and other exercises that do not involve weight training but involve the development of their muscles.
    I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. Knights in the middle ages started their training about 6 years earlier than that and if you compare historical knightly armor to munitions grade armor, knights were, on average, at least a foot taller than the common soldier.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    knights were of a high social class so, unlike common soldiers, would not have been stunted by poor diet.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    In the middle ages, knights started their training at age 5-7 (somewhere around there) and they grew up to kick all form of butt. I don't think it's going to damage their growth. Arnold was fairly young when he started weightlifting, but not that young.
    Possibly the most ignorant thing I've read today.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. Knights in the middle ages started their training about 6 years earlier than that and if you compare historical knightly armor to munitions grade armor, knights were, on average, at least a foot taller than the common soldier.

Whats up with this knight bull**** anyways hahaha its the 21st century not the 16th century
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My son is 5, and does it with me (not very regularly).. but he loves it, so why not? We do crossfit stuff, and he lifts all kinds of 'real world' stuff. i let him use my little 5-10 pound weights.

I'd rather him get involved when he is interested, rather than wait till he is a teenager and is overweight.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Whats up with this knight bull**** anyways hahaha its the 21st century not the 16th century

LOL I was thinking the same thing.

I'm on another forum site that gets really snarky sometimes. One person posted a thread "Post a non-flame worthy topic and we will find a way to make it flammable" LOL. This knight exchange reminds me of that ha ha ha
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I'll just go with the Mayo Clinic answer on this one: yes, so long as it's supervised, and the focus is on proper technique with light resistance.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/strength-training/HQ01010
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

And how many kids were maimed or killed during this time or just never got to the point were they were knights? What statistics do you have to back up that this was a valid practice? How many kids went into the program who made it through? I'm thinking it was like when they peed in corners and refused to bath. People still survived and in some cases even flurished but how many more died.

My advice. No one here is a pediatrian. So check with your pediatrician. Our son had to have his bones x-rayed before he started lifting. We found out his growth plates had not yet closed (he's 13 yo) and he could easily crack them. If he does crack them they will never be as strong as they should be. Doc says resistence training, sit ups, push ups and up to 7% body weight is OK, but that's it. (He's 100 lbs, can use 7 lb weights).

Best of luck. So awesome he wants to work out with you.
  • blueraidermike
    Options
    JMHO, until kids hit puberty, weight training is kinda silly. However, body movements are in; push ups, pull ups, air squats, running, jumping, jump rope, Jumping jacks, box jumps, etc, etc.

In fact, my strength training consists of 3 key areas ( I am 48)...this is my routine 3 times per week
    25-30 pull ups
    100-130 push ups
    Core work

In addition I run and bike a lot, but this does it all and I am in pretty good shape.
  • embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem to me like she wants her son to "weight train", just that he wants to mimick her. I don't weight train, but many of my workouts require a few reps of various things. So my daughter, when she is interested (she is 2) will pick up "her" weights and follow along. They weigh 1.5 pounds. She does a few with me, then stops and watches me then sometimes does it agin or walks away. It is cute!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    To go a little more modern, all scientific research that's actually been done supports weight training for children. No age restriction, just careful monitoring. There have been exactly ZERO recorded cases of any child damaging a growth plate due to weight training. No scientific evidence of growth being hindered by weight training, at any age.

It's a myth, plain and simple.
  • jg627
    Options

And how many kids were maimed or killed during this time or just never got to the point were they were knights? What statistics do you have to back up that this was a valid practice? How many kids went into the program who made it through? I'm thinking it was like when they peed in corners and refused to bath. People still survived and in some cases even flurished but how many more died.

My advice. No one here is a pediatrian. So check with your pediatrician. Our son had to have his bones x-rayed before he started lifting. We found out his growth plates had not yet closed (he's 13 yo) and he could easily crack them. If he does crack them they will never be as strong as they should be. Doc says resistence training, sit ups, push ups and up to 7% body weight is OK, but that's it. (He's 100 lbs, can use 7 lb weights).

Best of luck. So awesome he wants to work out with you.
    Knights were killed a lot less often than common soldiers. We don't need a 'study' when we already have historical data, besides it's called survival of the fittest for a reason. The non fit ones died. The point is that they died getting gutted by an axe, not because they exercised too early.