Portion control and dealing with hunger

Options
So.. I think my biggest road block is my hatred of all things fruit and veggie. I work on it, but it's awful.

I'm trying to control my portion sizes but I notice that it pretty much means I'm hungry a good part of the day. Not starving.. but I notice it. It is the worst at night after dinner.

What do you guys do to deal with that? Does it go away? How long does it take before it is obvious?

Replies

• ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    My doctor and nutritionist recommended a fiber supplement taken shortly before each meal to help feel full earlier and longer. Since you aren't eating a lot of veggies that might help.

My other trick involves veggies. :)
  • katysmith77
    katysmith77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i know some people probably don't agree, but i find finishing my salad lunch with a coffee really seems to fill me up.

my worst time is after dinner, i agree! that's my weakest moment. sometimes i find it better to eat something like soup or some crackers when I get home and have my dinner late, or to have my dinner when i'm hungry and save a few calories for something later so there is something to look forward too after dinner.

good luck, i'd love to hear other people's advice.
  • celtsguy81
    celtsguy81 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Gonna bump to see if others have advice. Thanks!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    This probably goes against what most "experts" would advise, but I always save some calories for a snack sometime after dinner. Once in a while I don't need it, but I usually do, and knowing I can without the guilt is good.

I'm in the same boat for always being hungry... especially today for some reason. I just try to exercise more so I have more calories to work with. Again, some people think this is wrong, but it works for me.
  • lroxey
    lroxey Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Do u like seafood?? My hubby hates salads but started using smoked salmon and the tunas packets in the lettuce with the roasted red pepper and Parmesan dressing (kraft and it really is delious) he eats 2 of those a day with a green apple
  • celtsguy81
    celtsguy81 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm eating all that excessively. My GF gives me some moderately-disapproving looks occasionally on my second helping of whatever we're having... but if I ever really step over the line she lets me know and I have to put some back. :) My claim that it is just me showing appreciation for her cooking never does the trick.

I wish I did like seafood. If I liked seafood and veggies my life would be awesome. I hate seafood more than anything though. All types of seafood. I almost get sick to my stomach anytime some is near me. :(
  • Front_Runner
    Front_Runner Posts: 175
    Options
    First off, make sure you're eating enough calories (obviuosly!). Things that help me control my hunger, have protein, healthy fats, and/or fiber. I recommend incorporating nuts or nut butters (almond butter or peaunt butter) to help you feel full longer. Also - tea, water, 2/3 water with 1/3 juice, etc - all help fill you up. How are you preparing your veggies? What are you buying? Fresh, frozen or canned? I would recommend against canned for sure - as the flavor in my opinion is grim! Fresh and frozen are much better (and have more nutrients, too).

There are a lot of ways to prep veggies, or even sneak them into your foods. Try shredding zucchini or chopping up spinach and mixing either of those in with regular dishes... for example: 1) Scrambled Eggs 2) Burger Patty (literally mix it into the meat) 3) Pasta Sauces

There are many ways you can "mix" veggies into a dish. They don't just have to be a "side" - especially if you don't care for them. As a side dish, you tend to get the full impact of veggie flavor! I like it, but not for everyone. :) Look at cleb. chef Jamie Oliver for suggestions on good recipies that include veggies... I like his ideas a lot!

Good luck!