Down 8.8 in 5 weeks, is this good?

Options
My husband and I have been doing this together, which is SUPER for the support. He doesn't really need to lose weight, maybe 10 pounds just because it will make him feel better type of thing. It has been an amazing journey so far to figure out those things you thought were healthy aren't, and that the serving sizes you were eating were outrageous. I started at 280 (I'm a female who is about 5'7") and have lost 8.8 pounds so far, in 5 weeks (today starts our 6th week). The counter has me at 1550 calories for a day, and I've been trying to stay right around that since I feel like under that would be far too low. I always put in calories "earned back" for exercise and try to eat good calories to attain my net goal for the day. I guess I'm just looking for encouragement from people who may have been in a similar situation and had success to know I'm on the right path! I've started to notice things getting slightly bigger on me, but it could be wishful thinking too!

Replies

• SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing a great job! Good luck and keep up that momentum!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I think that's a great success. Pat yourself on the back. Steady loss is great! Keep going!
  • emilywagers13
    Options
    Hello and congrats! My hubby is on this journey with me as well although he has a lot less to lose than me. It makes it so much easier to have him doing this with me :) Feel free to add me I'm here daily lol :smile:
  • JenniLisette
    JenniLisette Posts: 132
    Options
    usually at the beginning of weightloss journey the first few weeks you drop a lot of weight and then it begins to slow down. i thinks it's really good, best of luck ^_^
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    9lbs in 5 weeks is great. There's no great reason to be trying to lose any more or less than that, and it seems to be working for you. Eating too few calories will not necessarily make you lose weight any faster, and there's no good reason to be hungry all the time either. I think you're doing a fantastic job! Keep up the great work, you are clearly making the right decisions :)
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic. Since you're just starting some of that may be just the beginning boost, but either way it's a good rate. You definitely don't want to shoot for over 2 pounds a week, but that is really hard to do anyway. Keep doing what you're doing until you find it's not working for you anymore, because so far it's doing well.

My only question is how are you finding your exercise calories? If you're using an HRM, great. If you are using MFP calculations then I'd suggest not eating them ALL back, as they can be overestimated. Maybe try 1/2 or 2/3's of them. But this may just be something to consider if you find your weight loss slowing down.

Congrats, keep it up!
  • angie_sample
    angie_sample Posts: 190
    Options
    ur doing a great job and should be so proud of yourself. It seems u are losing weight in a healthy way. Keep going, u can do it!!
  • mylovesanotherkind
    Options
    That's around the same amount I have lost in 5 weeks too! You are definitely on the right track, well done!
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    hey there! I am in a very similar situation! Or I was I started at 283 @ 5'5". I started out eating more :S... I eat back all my exercise calories up to 2000. Now I am at 227.2.

It's not to quick if you have your deficit set to 2 lbs a week. As long as you aren't hungry all should be good.
  • sshap21712
    sshap21712 Posts: 139
    Options
    It;s a great result. I would worry if you were losing over 2 pounds a week. I think what you're doing is great. Keep it up!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Sounds like great progress to me!! Hope you're proud of yourself. Well done and keep at it!
  • missleah26
    missleah26 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing a great job! Just remember it's not all about what the scale says-- feeling your clothes fit better is a huge deal! I haven't lost much overall, but my clothes fit much better and I have way more energy when I'm really paying attention to nutrition and exercise. Keep up the good work!
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been doing this together, which is SUPER for the support. He doesn't really need to lose weight, maybe 10 pounds just because it will make him feel better type of thing. It has been an amazing journey so far to figure out those things you thought were healthy aren't, and that the serving sizes you were eating were outrageous. I started at 280 (I'm a female who is about 5'7") and have lost 8.8 pounds so far, in 5 weeks (today starts our 6th week). The counter has me at 1550 calories for a day, and I've been trying to stay right around that since I feel like under that would be far too low. I always put in calories "earned back" for exercise and try to eat good calories to attain my net goal for the day. I guess I'm just looking for encouragement from people who may have been in a similar situation and had success to know I'm on the right path! I've started to notice things getting slightly bigger on me, but it could be wishful thinking too!

That's great! :) Good for you!

However, in my opinion (and my experience), calories you gain from exercise should not be eaten back. You are creating your deficit with exercise. If you eat back the calories, you have no more deficit.

I also must recommend strength training. Otherwise you will lose muscle mass as well and that's not good.
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    uh hell yes it's good!

And don't worry it'll slow down soon enough! CONGRATS!
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Sounds perfect - but just so you know, as you lose weight, your suggested total calorie intake will probably decrease once you get into the lower weight ranges closer to your goal. But, by then you will probably have totally figured out the balancing act.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    8.8 lbs in 5 wks sounds like a really good pace. Healthy. Anything more than 2lbs a week is considered the "wrong way" although the more a person weighs to start the more they may lose a week, outside of what is considered "healthy"so I guess it really just all depends on each individual. Good luck on your journey. You seem to be off the a great start :happy:
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Super job. Stay on track. When you have a lot to lose, 2 lb/wk is fine. As you get closer to goal. it will slow down, don't get discouraged. It takes time. Congrats on a great start and good luck. And btw, I lost over 80lbs eating my calories back.
  • alegrria72
    alegrria72 Posts: 34
    Options
    8.8 pounds is great! Shoot, any loss is great! I started on MFP back in the middle of January and am coming up on the 150 day mark. I started at 279 and am a few inches shorter than you so you can imagine. So far I have lost 57 lbs. I can't say it's been easy but it sounds like you've realized what the keys to success are already so I'm sure you'll do awesome. Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • lindaschultz45
    lindaschultz45 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    That's a great start. I lost 10 lbs the first month and then it's usually 2-4 since this. June is my 4th month and so far no weight loss but have lost inches. It should tapper off the next month or so. Lot's of great advice on here and many websites can help too.
    Keep up the good work and WTG hubby for doing it with you! That is awesome!
  • jcamby
    jcamby Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Great job! Keep it up! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!