Down 8.8 in 5 weeks, is this good?

Options
2»

Replies

• katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been doing this together, which is SUPER for the support. He doesn't really need to lose weight, maybe 10 pounds just because it will make him feel better type of thing. It has been an amazing journey so far to figure out those things you thought were healthy aren't, and that the serving sizes you were eating were outrageous. I started at 280 (I'm a female who is about 5'7") and have lost 8.8 pounds so far, in 5 weeks (today starts our 6th week). The counter has me at 1550 calories for a day, and I've been trying to stay right around that since I feel like under that would be far too low. I always put in calories "earned back" for exercise and try to eat good calories to attain my net goal for the day. I guess I'm just looking for encouragement from people who may have been in a similar situation and had success to know I'm on the right path! I've started to notice things getting slightly bigger on me, but it could be wishful thinking too!

It's not bad. That's for sure. :) Any weight lost is good.

But in my opinion and experience, calories you gain from exercise should not be eaten back. You are creating your deficit with exercise. If you eat back the calories, you have no more deficit.

I also must recommend strength training. Otherwise you will lose muscle mass as well and that's not good.

That depends entirely on how you are set up. Eating back exercise calories depends on how you have your total intake for the day set. If you are set at sedentary (ie. desk job), and have your goal weight and how much per week you want to lose set, then that is saying for you to eat XX number of calories if you do nothing but sit on your butt all day and don't exercise. Then, you MUST eat back your exercise calories or you will be at too low of a deficit and won't lose the weight healthily. If you are eating back you exercise calories and still losing - you are doing it right.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been doing this together, which is SUPER for the support. He doesn't really need to lose weight, maybe 10 pounds just because it will make him feel better type of thing. It has been an amazing journey so far to figure out those things you thought were healthy aren't, and that the serving sizes you were eating were outrageous. I started at 280 (I'm a female who is about 5'7") and have lost 8.8 pounds so far, in 5 weeks (today starts our 6th week). The counter has me at 1550 calories for a day, and I've been trying to stay right around that since I feel like under that would be far too low. I always put in calories "earned back" for exercise and try to eat good calories to attain my net goal for the day. I guess I'm just looking for encouragement from people who may have been in a similar situation and had success to know I'm on the right path! I've started to notice things getting slightly bigger on me, but it could be wishful thinking too!

8.8lbs in 5 wks is great!! Keep up the good work! Personally I wouldn't eat back my exercise cals. Neither of my coaches do & they look amazing. In fact one specifically told me not to. He said ur un do-ing the deficit by eating the cals u worked so hard to burn. Now this doesn't mean u can't eat higher. Often u can eat higher than MFP suggests. I find their cal suggestions to b crap honestly.
  • dobrydney
    dobrydney Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think deep down I know I'm doing well, but I always feel better to have validation from others who are or have been in my shoes! I have myfitnesspal set to lose 2 pounds a week so I try to eat back my calories (it has me at 1550 a day) and I worry that if I drop a lot below that as net it wouldn't be healthy.
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Great success!! Keep up what you are doing becuase it is working and you are right on track! Congrats!! Blessings!! <><
  • sharpeoplepc
    sharpeoplepc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Anything lost is good! Keep it up!
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    not bad at all, you are doing good. It has taken me 9 1/2 weeks to lose the 18.6 pounds I have lost
  • kathrynyoung71
    Options
    Well done, I have been doing this since March and have lost 26lb at around 3lb every 2 weeks. The plan is really good as you have also realised at showing you just what the calories/fat etc are in food and it certainly helps you to make better choices...... some foods are not quite as appealing when you realise whats in them!! I'm also on here every day so add me if you like. I started at 252lb and I am also tall (5ft11in) I get 1740 calories a day on the 1.5lb per week weight loss, I also try to exercise 3-4 times a week either at the gym with cardio equipment or out on my bike (british weather permitting!!)
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Seriously? That is awesome! I'd like to do that well! I average a pound a week no matter what I do!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!