What to do with broken foot???

Options
I was just put into a cast for 8 weeks due to a stress fracture probably brought on from running and zumba. I have always relied on high impact cardio to feel like I have gotten a good burn. But now what? I am doing weight lifting and I have access to stationary bike. But what else. Any suggestion would be great.

THANKS

Replies

• Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Just had the temp cast removed & have been given a walking boot as the fracture was 'stable'. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks then give the gym a try. I think using the stationary bike 'should' be okay, as that wont put too much stress on my foot, but it'll be very much trial & error. And my arms are getting a good workout everyday, shuffling upstairs to the bathroom on my bum is a fantastic tricep workout!:laugh:
  • cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    Maybe do some rowing and just put your injured foot on the floor or something. Just mainly focus on upper body stuff that you don't have to use your leg.
  • sailingsal
    sailingsal Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    i do boxing workouts on the wii on the occasions i've either broken a bone in my foot or sprained my ankle. can get heart rate up and cardio in by boxing.
  • nu2012
    nu2012 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Ahhh I had the same thing 10 months ago and I was so frustrated. I found some workouts on youtube where you could workout on a chair. More like kickboxing...punches etc. You can add hand weights to the workout,1lb-2lb and it will be really good. Recumbent stationary bike is good. Belly dancing if you can stand. Cycling while lying on your back. And plus strength training for the upper body.
  • kathczes
    kathczes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a bad foot and a bad back. Plagued by this pain since the fall. I worked through it for a long time and lost 30 lbs, but that was bad because I never healed. For now I am stuck on the bike. It's better than nothing, but I can't do anything else. I have NO excuse for not lifting etc. for my upper body these days...I just haven't done it. Totally stuck in a rut
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I love the cycling upside down and belly dancing suggestions.
  • mandos78
    mandos78 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    try working with a punch bag its a great cardio exercise.