Temptation!

Options
How do you fight it off? :tongue:

funny-dog-pictures-dog-helps-you-avoid-temptation.jpg

Replies

• nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I run... far far away. That or you'll catch me in the shower in the fetal position, rocking back and forth.
  • ImpishScoundrel
    Options
    I read the calories per serving of my favorite foods. Scares the temptation out of me every time.
  • BrightEyesx3
    BrightEyesx3 Posts: 335
    Options
    I read the calories per serving of my favorite foods. Scares the temptation out of me every time.

That bad huh?
  • nas24
    Options

Smart!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I still indulge every once in a while.

Yep, I said it...I indulge, and eat it ever so slowly, savor every bite, lick, and taste...
  • 1RBelle512
    1RBelle512 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I actually do feed stuff to my dog sometimes. Not anything bad for her, though, just when I'm about to have too much of something I let her finish it instead. I also try not to buy things that I know tempt me the worst, and I try to make my own healthy alternatives, like sugar-free brownies.
  • nas24
    Options

Yep, I said it...I indulge, and eat it ever so slowly, savor every bite, lick, and taste...

me too... its like making love...mmmm. I did this yesterday with a carrot cake muffin topped with cream cheese frosting...mmmmm
  • soygurl
    soygurl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do that too. A lot of times, it doesn't look too bad at first... Then I see that there's 4 servings in a package I'd eat in one sitting. :noway:
  • BrightEyesx3
    Options
    I actually do feed stuff to my dog sometimes. Not anything bad for her, though, just when I'm about to have too much of something I let her finish it instead. I also try not to buy things that I know tempt me the worst, and I try to make my own healthy alternatives, like sugar-free brownies.

I do something like that with my dog too. Every time I eat sweet bread or bread in general, when I get 1 piece he gets 2!
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    I tend to barter with myself, within reason - I say to m,yself, well ok, you can have that rather indulgent cookie, but you'll have to have less for dinner. Tends to work, and I'm getting a lot better at resisiting! That being said, I do let myself have little indulgences sometimes - I've seen/heard fo a few studies that suggest people are more liekly to break from a diet if they totally cut out their favorite stuff.

I've also found healthier stuff that I now see as treats - dried mango in particular!! I love it as much as chocolate, provides a lovely chewy sweet kick but without as much guilt.
  • ImpishScoundrel
    Options

That bad huh?

1 slice of my favorite taco pizza: 472 calories
  • BrightEyesx3
    Options

That bad huh?

1 slice of my favorite taco pizza: 472 calories

Wow! How big is the slice? :huh:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Honestly? If I want it bad enough, I just eat it. I find that when I've tried to talk myself out of it or to try and find something else -- all I do is eat MORE calories trying to fill the void. Easier to just eat whatever it is I wanted and move on with life. My tastes have changed in the last 2 years and things I used to love? Definitely aren't appealing anymore. I used to love donuts - now, they taste like a cardboard box of sugar. I used to love cake with a TON of frosting on it. I still have cake, but frosting actually hurts my teeth now. I'd rather have a bigger piece of cake and no frosting. I don't know, I've just found that if I REALLY want something it's just better to eat it and be done with it.

I say this as I'm stuffing Reese's peanut butter cups in my mouth. :)
  • BrightEyesx3
    Options
    Honestly? If I want it bad enough, I just eat it. I find that when I've tried to talk myself out of it or to try and find something else -- all I do is eat MORE calories trying to fill the void. Easier to just eat whatever it is I wanted and move on with life. My tastes have changed in the last 2 years and things I used to love? Definitely aren't appealing anymore. I used to love donuts - now, they taste like a cardboard box of sugar. I used to love cake with a TON of frosting on it. I still have cake, but frosting actually hurts my teeth now. I'd rather have a bigger piece of cake and no frosting. I don't know, I've just found that if I REALLY want something it's just better to eat it and be done with it.

I say this as I'm stuffing Reese's peanut butter cups in my mouth. :)

Haha I'm the same way! I used to be ADDICTED to candy corn and loads upon loads of frosting on my sweets, but as I got older I lost the taste for them and didn't really care for it anymore. I also got to be careful because I have a literal "sweet tooth", meaning if I eat something a bit too sugary it hurts. And I LOVE Reeses. I have a peanut butter addiction, but I taught myself to limit it
  • livinfitanfun
    Options
    It depends on what it is and how bad do I really want it. If it's like a strawberry poptart (love'em) then I would just take one out of the pack and split it in half. I have learned just a little taste of something you really want will be enough to knock off the lure of it. Or try to have a healthier option of it. Instead of a double whopper have a turkey or a veggie burger.
  • BrightEyesx3
    Options

I never really indulged, I'm thinking of trying it though because I tend not to savor my food and just eat it.
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'd emphasise one point that I think is critical. Most people who come on here are doing so because they were unfit or at least no way near as fit as they could be. If you want t make a genuine fitness transformation you have to tear up a lot of the 'things that you do'. Stop saying things to yourself stuff like 'I like ice cream', i like chocolate' etc etc. or whatever other weakness you have for a particular bad food. A lot of it is just habit! Start being the person you want to be, not the person that you have labelled yourself or others have labelled you to be! You've got to be determined about it! Personally it doesn't work for me to have a little bit of the naughty stuff, I'm pretty much all or nothing. Not saying everyone should follow that but for some people it's actually easier than nit-picking small bits of junk food to satisfy your urge, would make me just want to have more.

Everyone who knows me well would say I love chocolate for example. Before I came on here I used to have a a bar of chocolate almost every day. I haven't had one since I've been on here 3 months ago. Now I'm no longer used to or expecting to have chocolate and I'm genuinely not bothered, ok beyond mistakenly walkign into the chocolate section of the supermarket :tongue: Start doing things right. There's lots of good advice on here - it can take some finding at first.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'd emphasise one point that I think is critical. Most people who come on here are doing so because they were unfit or at least no way near as fit as they could be. If you want t make a genuine fitness transformation you have to tear up a lot of the 'things that you do'. Stop saying things to yourself stuff like 'I like ice cream', i like chocolate' etc etc. or whatever other weakness you have for a particular bad food. A lot of it is just habit! Start being the person you want to be, not the person that you have labelled yourself or others have labelled you to be! You've got to be determined about it! Personally it doesn't work for me to have a little bit of the naughty stuff, I'm pretty much all or nothing. Not saying everyone should follow that but for some people it's actually easier than nit-picking small bits of junk food to satisfy your urge, would make me just want to have more.

Everyone who knows me well would say I love chocolate for example. Before I came on here I used to have a a bar of chocolate almost every day. I haven't had one since I've been on here 3 months ago. Now I'm no longer used to or expecting to have chocolate and I'm genuinely not bothered, ok beyond mistakenly walkign into the chocolate section of the supermarket :tongue: Start doing things right. There's lots of good advice on here - it can take some finding at first.

Not everyone feels that this has to be all or nothing. I am one of those people. This is the only life I have to live and I plan to enjoy every moment of it. It is why I lost weight, why I got divorced and why I continue to change things in my life that cause me unhappiness.

I am not a label - by myself or someone else. Wanting to enjoy some of the foods I love is not a habit - it is simply things I love.

If you want to go all or nothing, GO FOR IT. But not everyone functions well in that kind of environment and not everyone wants to look at life that way. I'm happy with the fact that I no longer drink pop, no longer fast food and try and watch my portion sizes -- even when those portion sizes are about chocolate, a piece of cake, etc.
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Not everyone feels that this has to be all or nothing. I am one of those people. This is the only life I have to live and I plan to enjoy every moment of it. It is why I lost weight, why I got divorced and why I continue to change things in my life that cause me unhappiness.

I am not a label - by myself or someone else. Wanting to enjoy some of the foods I love is not a habit - it is simply things I love.

If you want to go all or nothing, GO FOR IT. But not everyone functions well in that kind of environment and not everyone wants to look at life that way. I'm happy with the fact that I no longer drink pop, no longer fast food and try and watch my portion sizes -- even when those portion sizes are about chocolate, a piece of cake, etc.

Well we each have to do what works for ourselves alright. I'm not advocating that you have to be miserable with food btw and deny yourself everything. I eat plenty of what I'd consider delicious food. You can still make healthy choices at times and be indulgent, but I guess in regards to temptation you have to find whatever works to break that down. For me having a little bit of cake, a few squares of chocolate would be pure torture and I don't think I could resist the temptation to devour further slices of cake or the rest of the bar of chocolate. :tongue: Though when I get a bit fitter I might even indulge in cake say at a house party or something. Did I just say that.... aargh temptation!

Once you start taking fitness seriously, you might have to make some minor adjustments and yes some radical, things can't stay the same as before that's for sure. We each have to find our own path, but you have to step out of your comfort zone initially too imo, and as for temptation - you got to man-up/woman-up to it. stand up to it a few times and it's like a bully it won't pester you after a while! :smile:
    Also this! Reading the labels and the ingredients of foods is mega important. Some stuff I was having that I actually thought was healthy was anything but. Can be frightening stuff. If you're in Europe, like me, where it doesn't always mention transient fat content, be especially wary of tinned food. See if the ingredients contain hydrogenated vegetable oil for example or other descriptions of fat which could be trans fats. Not all fat is bad btw but trans fats do nothing but harm except to food companies profits!
  • markyp33
    markyp33 Posts: 25
    Options
    I don't - I just throw her on the bed and have my wicked way with her!!!

Oh, you mean food?? I don't with that either - that's why I'm fat! ;-)