First 5k, need advice

Options
I'm running my first 5k the 23rd, and was wondering what advice i could be given about running, and about anything really since it isn't that far away!

Replies

• NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    well first off...what are your goals? do you want to run it competatively? are you just aiming to finish?
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    i would like to be able to finish in 45 minutes and aiming to finish. it's something that i want to continue during the summer and it i'm hoping by the time Sept comes, that i can run a 5k in 20-30 minutes.
  • RedWeb
    RedWeb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    5k is 3.125 miles. You should be happy to do that in 35 minutes to start with. Forget anything less than that for now.

Just take it easy. Doesn't matter if you get overtaken. Run at your pace. Enjoy it and be proud when you break the tape !!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first 5k the 23rd, and was wondering what advice i could be given about running, and about anything really since it isn't that far away!

Take it slowly, stretch well beforehand, don't wear clothes or shoes you have not trained in, don't eat anything out of the ordinary the day of or day before the run and most importantly, just have fun! Running rocks! Good luck and see you on the road!
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    it isn't that far!

There you go.
  • cjmas
    cjmas Posts: 63
    Options
    How often do you run now? How far?

If you want to increase your speed you should check out a training program that includes interval training. (I love Hal Higdon's training plans.)

If you are a novice runner, you should probably stick with something like HH's novice 5k training program, or the Couch to 5k program.

Good luck!
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I've always been an athlete...so i ran my first 5k in 23 mins with very little training other than an occasional jog a couple times a week, so from my point of view i would say just go! push yourself because the faster you run the faster you're done! i always think to myself "yeah, i feel like i wanna slow down now, but if i keep going i can be done quicker"
  • linhmaimac
    linhmaimac Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Take a *kitten* before you run. Seriously!!!! Even if you have to wake up extra early just so that you can go #2 before the race.

I like to chew gum if water isnt accessible. Create a 5k playlist that will pump you up! Have fun and congrats!!
  • cortezpj
    cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I agree with the earlier comment about taking it easy and running at your own pace. Also, don't focus on the other runners/walkers around you (but, of course, do watch out for them :smile: ). As you approach the finish line, don't make a mad sprint to beat others or shave a few seconds off your time, unless you really want to. Just do what feels natural and enjoy yourself.

Good luck and let us know how it goes !
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I did my first race just this past Saturday after finishing c25k. Best advice would be pace yourself & do not worry about your time. I was so proud just to finish.