My First Spartan Sprint

Options
velix
velix Posts: 437 Member
There have been a few posts about Spartan races - so I thought I would share my experience.

After a year and a half working out and losing 68 lbs (still have 35-40 to go), I thought I would challenge myself to a Spartan Sprint (3+ miles [5km+] and 15+ obstacles). Many bruises, scratches and sore muscles later, I am happy to say I finished. I need a lot more training if I plan on finishing with a better time next year, but it was one hell of a race to challenge (and test) my current level of physical fitness. I was hoping to get through this one this year and sign up for the Super Spartan next year (8+ miles [12km+] and 20+ obstacles), but I realize that I need a lot more conditioning before tackling a course of that size. My goal is to kick the course's butt next year and finish with a kick-*kitten* time - then I will consider doing the Super.

I would definitely recommend finding a race near you (or another obstacle race such as Tough Mudder, Warrior Dash, etc) if you want an alternative to marathons (I am not a runner and thought obstacle racing was more my style).

I wrote a blog post and posted some pictures from yesterday's race if you care to read more.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/velix/view/spartan-sprint-good-times-endorphins-and-lessons-learned-pictures-274788#comments

Replies

• katmandou6
    katmandou6 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Nice job for completing this Spartan Race and for your weight loss! I was here too yesterday and it challenged me a lot and I also had a good time!

I heard that the race was longer than 5 km. Some people ran with a GPS watch and it came out with a distance of 7,4 km at the end. So the Super Spartan might not be impossible for you!
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Thank you =) - It did feel more than 5k, but I thought that was just the mountain! If it was that long, might actually consider the Super next year, would give me a full year to train ..... Was hoping to do a Warrior Dash in August, but it got cancelled near me.