College Student

Options
Hi! I'm a college student that kind of fell off and used excuses of school not to get in shape. I'm looking to add friends within my age group so we can share similar experiences. From Seattle area! :)

Replies

• madgabbers
    Options
    Oh & I'm super hungry right now. 1200 calories? Ugh.
  • MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Hello I am probably not your age group as I am a 37 year old college freshman. I started college late. I used to eat 1200 calories. you are welcome to add me if you would like
  • tireetje
    tireetje Posts: 49
    Options
    Hey Im in university too! However all the way in Scotland. I really struggle with all the studying and lack of time to cook well and exercise! feel free to add :) x
  • simpleejenn
    Options
    Not college til this fall, however I am on 1200 calories a day and I am only doing 800!! IF you truly watch calories, it is SO easy to follow. You just have to eat correctly to fill yourself up. I have been eating since 8am and I am not even to 400 calories yet, think vegetables. LOW to NO Carolies :)
  • kierskat
    kierskat Posts: 2
    Options
    I am a Junior in college in Wisconsin! Just started yesterday!
  • heyitsmegxx
    heyitsmegxx Posts: 444
    Options
    I'm a junior in college and am also on 1200 calories a day. Welcome! I hope you reach all your goals!
  • just_be1
    just_be1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey!
    I am a 3rd year student from a university in Ontario.
    I wish everyone luck reaching their goals- remember the fewer the calories you eat doesn't equal the best sustained weight loss. Your body needs AT LEAST 1200 calories to function properly without taking into account any extra exercise.
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Not college til this fall, however I am on 1200 calories a day and I am only doing 800!! IF you truly watch calories, it is SO easy to follow. You just have to eat correctly to fill yourself up. I have been eating since 8am and I am not even to 400 calories yet, think vegetables. LOW to NO Carolies :)
    Eating 800 calories a day isn't going to support your body long term, just to say.

Eating less than 1200 calories a day significantly slows down your metabolism.
    Do it for a sustained period of time, and your body becomes used to it.
    The moment you return to any normal sort of eating pattern (over 1200) you gain weight due to your shot-to-hell metabolism.
    So your options are then either gain all the weight back, or keep eating 800 calories forever and eventually become horribly sick and ruin your health entirely.

Think it doesn't sound that unhealthy? The average eating disorder sufferer (restricting type) consumes around 800 calories a day. It's considered disordered eating.

You need to eat 1200 NET calories a day.
    At least.
    Trust me, you don't want the health problems that come with long term under-eating.
  • josephine0701
    josephine0701 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey! Im 23 and i just graduated :)
  • jonesygetshealthy
    jonesygetshealthy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I gained about 50lbs during college/moving out for the first time.
    I'm in my fourth year at college (though I am not full-time anymore), and I live with my family again.

I've already lost 37 lbs and I hope to lose 23 more by my birthday (if possible) :)
  • madgabbers
    Options
    Thanks guys. This is very reassuring. :) Yeah my mom went on a diet that was even less than 100 calories a day. It was pretty scary. But the diet progressively allowed more calories. She lost a lot of weight but I couldn't live like that. @jonesygetsshea I think I'm around the same boat. The dining center food is so bad for you!
  • alyssap1293
    alyssap1293 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a sophomore in college :) Went through the exact same thing with school dining centers...they are killers!! Feel free to add me if you want to be fitness buddies :)
  • beccaolsen84
    Options
    Hey i'm going to be a starting freshman in the fall and I can't help but want that right body figure for starting out new :) it's hard because i have an older sister that weighs only 110 pounds, and I weigh 135 so that obviously plays a factor. I'm okay with my body as it is but i'd love to lose some weight and get MUCH more fit! And I would love some supportive friends on here to help me along the way :)
  • BrightEyesx3
    BrightEyesx3 Posts: 335
    Options
    Going into my junior year, feel free to add me :)
  • DLSlim
    DLSlim Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm a junior in college with another 25 lbs to lose. I eat a bit more than 1200 because I've learned what works best for my body, but feel free to add me.
  • bmdk0510
    bmdk0510 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hey I'm 26 and will be starting college again, in the fall!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.

b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.

c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.

d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that anyone suffering from the symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, or Compulsive eating make use of the resources offered by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. You may reach the ANAD hotline by phone in the US: 847-831-3438 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, Central Time) or on the web at http://www.anad.org/site/anadweb/

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,

psuLemon
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.