Realistically, how long will it take?

Options
I am 5'10", 23 years old, female and 229 lbs.

I eventually want to get completely fit. Like almost ripped. Not bursting with muscle, but deffinetly want definition all over my body.

In a totally realistic sense, how long do you think it would take?

Replies

• aspen_matthews
    Options
    It depends on where you are now. Have you had a bod pod done?
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you are now. Have you had a bod pod done?

Don't even know what that is.
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Depends on how hard you are willing to work!
  • katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options

I love this response!!
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    It will take a good amount of time truthfully. But the good news is that if you stick with it, no matter how long it takes you WILL get there :)
  • momtobe06
    momtobe06 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    a year....

that is just a guess
  • Alexstrasza
    Options

Well I recently set my workouts to 6 days a week. Mon-Wens-Fri I go to the gym and do a mix of weights and cardio.

Tues-Thurs-Sat I'm doing an excercise program my husband created. I'm the guinea pig for it, lol.

Sunday is my rest day.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    That fit- 2 years. One to lose and one to rebuild.
  • Alexstrasza
    Options

That's kind of what I figured. At least it's not like 5 years, lol.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    The moment you decide to go for it, like really truly decide, you've already succeeded.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way, the two years will go by anyway. Either you will work hard and have your dream body in about two years time, or the two years will fly by and you won't have much to show for it. 2 years from now you will either be sharing a success story or regretting not starting 2 years ago :)
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options

I love this! I'm in the losing phase...the 'rebuild' makes it sound like I'm going to be bionic. YES!
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    The moment you decide to go for it, like really truly decide, you've already succeeded.

^YES! Losing weight is one thing, but getting seriously defined is another. It takes a lot of hard work, dedication, consistency, and appropriate actions. As long as you are willing to fully commit and work hard for it, you will be surprised just how quickly it passes & how much you enjoy it. It is a lifelong journey though really.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It will take as long as it takes.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    6 months to a year, depending on how hard you work. If you do a lot of heavy weights you may look a lighter than you really are in 6 months. By adding more muscle to shudders arms, legs, and back you can take a lot of inches of your waist. Don't just monitor your weight--watch your measurements closely. I weighed 226 and dropped down to 165 in about 7 months. However, i'm male and 65. Because of your age you can put on muscle a lot faster than I was able to. Keep in mind that a woman with a strong, athletic build, who has done a lot of strength training actually weighs more than you might think. Think Hillary Swank in Million Dollar Baby. Her stats aren't available but Lucia Rijker, the woman she fought was a junior welterweight when she was fighting with would put her at 140 pounds. She is 4 inches shorter than you are, so you would weight considerably more if you were in that shape. I'm not suggesting you take up fighting. Just cite this as weight, height and pictures of women boxers are more available on the internet than most other female athletes.
  • Molly_Pitcher
    Molly_Pitcher Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've been at it almost 11 months and am still 25ish lbs away from my goal (Started at 262, at 177 now) I am trying to tone as I go, but know I have AT LEAST another 6 months, but thqat is BS, I have the rest of my life to work on this. Everyone is different, and it takes along time, but it CAN be done!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I had about 30 lbs to lose as my goal - started in June 2009 am 10lbs below that initial goal 3 years later. I had many plauteus and small victories along the way, and just simply never gave up. I wanted to do it slowly, so that I changed my patterns and behaviors to make it work .
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    I am wondering the same, will I ever be able to have a bikini body if I put in time an effort? I've got 88 (22 already lost) pounds to lose, I am worried that I'll have loose skin and it will never happen no matter what I do :(
    I'm 6 ft so a tall girl as well.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    6 months to a year, depending on how hard you work. If you do a lot of heavy weights you may look a lighter than you really are in 6 months. By adding more muscle to shudders arms, legs, and back you can take a lot of inches of your waist. Don't just monitor your weight--watch your measurements closely.

So this. If you put in the effort without going overboard, 10lb a month is realistic and totally doable, so you'd have that off in about 7-8 months.. then you can rebuild and reshape that fabulous body you want!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10", 23 years old, female and 229 lbs.

I eventually want to get completely fit. Like almost ripped. Not bursting with muscle, but deffinetly want definition all over my body.

In a totally realistic sense, how long do you think it would take?

That's a really hard thing to answer. So many variables. I've seen women on this form in the high 100s with abs and all, they were just on the large side. And I've seen people who were itty bitty, with no definition, including myself. It absolutely positively depends on how much work you put into it. Try hard. And at the same time, look at the math. I have a friend who graphs his workouts. They're all exponential. There's that point that you're really benefiting from everything, and the point after that where you have to work really really hard for a long time to get a little farther.

I was stuck in the situation where it was hard to exercise until I got to my goal and more time plopped into my lap. I had flabs to abs in a month. I didn't notice until I took pictures and had to look down to make sure they were really there.

PS bod pod I believe is one way to do bioelectrical impedance analysis. You know the weight scales that you have to have your socks off that measures your body fat? It's that for your hands I believe (but I could be wrong). There's all kinds of ways to test body fat and everyone argues what's best.