Shin pain when running

Options
What do shin splints feel like?

Today I started Day 1 of C25k. My shins were hurting before I even got done with the 5min warm-up walk. I did the whole thing anyways. The pain did not get better as time progressed.

I have never had shin pain before like this and I hike frequently. Usually on dirt trails though not on road/side walk trails. As a matter of fact we walked our daughter to school last Thursday and that was 1.5 miles. Not the 100 yards to the neighborhood trail that I walked for my warm-up. I made it 1.63 miles total in the 30 min C25k workout.

And if it is shin splints how do I make it feel better and prevent them in the future?

Replies

• mblackburn23
    Options
    Ice and stop running... rest them and research a good pair of running shoes.
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Ice it for now... maybe wrap it tight before you go running next time?
  • blittle2
    blittle2 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    first thought would be your shoes. If you have a running store nearby go in and get analyzed and see what kind of shoe you should be in then you could search online for a pair in that category usually cheaper than the store.
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Did you start out by stretching? Not sure if you have heard of walking on your heels. This article might helps, http://www.howtop10.com/articles/how-to-prevent-shin-splints
  • Pablosammy
    Pablosammy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Stop running. Shin splints are a nightmare, and the worst thing you can do is carry on.

Instead, try to work out why you got them. Most often, the cause is the wrong type of shoe, or worn out shoes (the support compresses over time, typically running shoes will last for 4-500 miles or so) - have your running analysed at a proper store which has running analysis kit, and get more/less supportive shoes as necessary.
  • jbrookeh
    jbrookeh Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ice them...get fitted for good running shoes....and research good form running. Sounds like you might be heel striking and once I corrected my form, my shin splints subsided.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Ice and stop running... rest them and research a good pair of running shoes.

What he said with the quickness. Ignoring will only make worse and more painful.
  • LindsayHowlett
    Options
    I suffer with this too, read a lot about, some of what I read talks about if it's very mild strapping it and running through it, some says ice it and rest. Only you can decide as you know the severity of the pain, personally I can run through it, it's very mild and goes quickly once a run progresses.

If its anything more then definitely ice it & rest.

When it is better invest in good quality running shoes, if you have a store that videos you running on a treadmill this helps, because you tend to be more prone to shin pain if your feet over pronate - if that's the case then they can find you shoes that will work towards correcting this. You can also get inserts in your running shoes to help as well!!

Be prepared to pay the money for the shoes though, mine are £80 a pair and need replacing at least every 6 months because I use them for all forms of exercise - cross trainers just do not cut it for me in terms of forcing my feet into a good landing position!
  • spelham15
    spelham15 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above posters.

1st: rest and ice to make them subside. I just had to do this and it took a week is all.
    2nd: go get fitted for the proper shoes for how you run. My shin splints came on from one 30 minute run in a pair of new shoes that were for overpronators and I'm a neutral running. I got a second new pair of new shoes (for neutral runners, this time) and have done two runs with no shin splints.

Common reasons for shin splints:
    improperly fitted shoes
    worn out shoes
    running form
    tight calf muscles
    running too much too soon

Happy running :)
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints which suck!!
    and the more you run on it, the worse your runners injury will get.. I literally had to stay away from running for 3months before it got a lil better. Now I'm SLOWLY gettin back into running. I was only able to run one 5k race which was my first one this year, then take that 3month break.
    It could be from improper runners form or wearing the wrong running shoes and also pushin to hard to soon. That's what I did, I trained for my first race in only 3 wks!! Crazy yea cuz you should train for at least 5wks or more.

LAY OFF RUNNING FOR AWHILE
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I would understand running wrong or my shoes if they didn't start hurting until I started running, but they were hurting BEFORE I started running, just by walking for the 5 minute warm-up (not even 5 minutes in). I have hiked in these shoes (usually I hike in hiking boots though but they are too heavy for running), I work in these shoes, I walk my daughter to school in these shoes but all of a sudden today the muscles all the way up and down the front of my lower leg hurt. That's why I asked what shin splints feel like because I don't know if that's what it is or not.

Oddly enough on top of that they don't hurt anymore right now. My calves and thighs feel tired from running but my shins don't hurt. While typing this I even just jumped up and down for like 45 seconds and they don't hurt (I was barefoot though).

Does it cost anything to find out what kind of shoes you need at a running store? I don't know of any running stores in my area but I do live in an area where running is common place so there's probably one around here somewhere.

Its not like I have never ran before either if that makes a difference. The last time I tried doing C25k I took the kids with me on their scooters and they were being difficult so I couldn't finish the session.
  • thefreebiemom
    Options
    Ice them...get fitted for good running shoes....and research good form running. Sounds like you might be heel striking and once I corrected my form, my shin splints subsided.

I don't know what heel striking is but if you mean hitting the ground with my heel first instead of my toes, I am pretty sure I don't do that. I'm pretty flat footed and my sneakers have weird ridges on the bottom of them that prevent me from landing on my heels.
  • thefreebiemom
    Options
    I don't think I pushed the running part too far. I know its very important to take it slow very slow for the first few times to not over exert yourself.

I tracked with runkeeper app and I had my own interval workout set up in it to tell me when to walk and when to run and my running intervals most of the time were barely faster then my walking pace.

Like I said the thing that concerns me is that they were hurting just from 5min or less of walking. I walk at least a couple times a week for a mile or so depending on which mountain hiking trail we take and have never had my legs hurt like that before.

If I had made this post saying "Today I walked for 5 minutes and the front muscles of my lower legs hurt really bad" what would you say about it then. Like if I hadn't mentioned running at all.
  • thefreebiemom
    Options
    Everyone has given me very helpful advice though, thank you!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Stop running. Shin splints are a nightmare, and the worst thing you can do is carry on.

Instead, try to work out why you got them. Most often, the cause is the wrong type of shoe, or worn out shoes (the support compresses over time, typically running shoes will last for 4-500 miles or so) - have your running analysed at a proper store which has running analysis kit, and get more/less supportive shoes as necessary.
    This! Rest your chins for while and let them repair. You can do other forms of cardio in the meantime while you repair your legs.
  • LindsayHowlett
    Options
    It's really hard to know if what you are describing is shin splints or not, if the pain has gone already my guess would be possibly not - I know with me it sticks around for a couple of days, feels like an ache in the bone (best way I can describe it!!)

If the pain has gone try again, make you stretch well after your warm up, I don't know what C25k programme you are using but I know the app I use doesn't allow for this but I find it really helps!

As for stores charging for checking how you run, it depends on where I guess. I am from the UK, the store I go to is in Cambridge and yes, they charge £20 unless you buy shoes from them, in which case it is free.

Look at your feet, bare foot, when you are standing... I can tell I over pronate because I am fairly flat footed and even just standing my ankles fall in slightly.....
  • enaves1986
    enaves1986 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ice and rest. You have shin slpints. I would research some leg stretches.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I was getting them while doing butt kicks so I understand your pain and frustration. I did a lot of research and it was all about the shoes and the landing believe it or not. How your feet touch the ground actually matters. Look into it.
  • coolcatcan
    coolcatcan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Was getting shin splints as well and I was told that as much as I workout, I have probably used up the life of my shoe. It was also recommended to me to wear skins/compression calf tights (just ones that come to the knee) as this will help and alleviate pain with the shin splints. Advil and rest also help.

Good luck
  • vtgirl77
    vtgirl77 Posts: 69
    Options
    I get them too and agree with ice and rest. I also stand with my toes on the edge of a stair, lift up and lower slow, repetitively until failure, also if I am sitting and happen to think of it, just point and flex my toes. I find it helps the muscles to "agree" with each other. Hope your shins are happy soon!