gall bladder surgery

Options
emom3boys
emom3boys Posts: 84 Member
Hi. I need some help and I don't really know who to ask... my husband is having gall bladder surgery on Thursday and I don't know what to expect as to meals for after the surgery. The doctor doesn't have any suggestions, though we've asked. Has anyone had gall bladder surgery and could share what kinds of food to plan on making during recovery and afterward? Thanks!

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Edit - I didn't read this post correctly. So sorry.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Hi. I need some help and I don't really know who to ask... my husband is having gall bladder surgery on Thursday and I don't know what to expect as to meals for after the surgery. The doctor doesn't have any suggestions, though we've asked. Has anyone had gall bladder surgery and could share what kinds of food to plan on making during recovery and afterward? Thanks!

I had my spleen and gall bladder removed in 1985 when I was 19. I was on a bland diet for a month afterwards. To this day, I avoid spicy and greasy foods. They go right through me. Good luck!
  • tarapickett
    tarapickett Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I had absolutely no dietary issues after surgery. I aet soft, low in fat foods as a precaution, but I probably would have been fine with anything.
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    each person is different after that surgery.

For years, spicy foods and acidic foods bothered me. Now, mostly tomatoes and peppers and things that are really spicey still bother me - they go right thru me.
  • DaleArden
    DaleArden Posts: 26
    Options
    Stick with simple, low fat, non-spicy foods for a while, to give his system chance to settle down and recover.

That said, after my gallbladder surgery I was so hungry from the fact that I could barely eat prior to the surgery that I ate whatever was put in front of me. And continued to do so. That's why I'm here now...
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder removed a couple of years ago. I don't remember following any specific diet afterward, though I did keep away from greasy/fried foods for a few weeks. I think it was more a suggestion than a You Must Follow This Diet thing, though.

Edit: I see a lot of people mentioning spicy foods... I didn't eat them back then (I'm slowly learning to enjoy them now), so I don't know about that. I haven't had any problems since my introduction to spicy foods, but I am a REALLY big wimp where capsaicin is concerned.
  • joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I also had no dietary restrictions post surgery. But my daughter did. They said no tomatoes and just bland food. Dry toast etc.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I also had my gall bladder removed and it was pretty bland things at first but more by choice because I didn't know what was going to sit well, doctor didn't give me any diet to follow either. I find I can only eat small quantities of anythings spicy or greasy but everyone is different.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    I had my gall bladder taken 5 yrs ago. My doctor advised me from eating fried food and food that contained much fat. Use as little cream, majones and other stuff like that minumum. Keep cholesterol food at minimum. That has worked great for me, I have never had any trouble since I had my surgery. Good luck to him
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder out a couple years ago...for the first month it didn't matter what I ate. I had to be near a bathroom. I think it is different foods for everybody, but I discovered that high fat foods tend to set me off more than anything, even now. But after the first couple months I was able to eat pretty normally without too many issues. From time to time though, it hits me bad and it's seriously painful, but doesn't last too long. I would just be careful with greasy and spicy foods. Good luck to your husband!
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in 2010. I had no dietary restrictions, at all. Though, they do warn you that things may just "go right through you." Unfortunately, that didn't happen for me! It would have been a great way to lose weight LOL. I was using MFP, at the time, and I was just about to my goal weight, so my diet was already pretty cleaned up.
  • Rizabees
    Rizabees Posts: 80
    Options
    I had mine taken out last year, I didn't change my diet but that's just because i was eating less greasy/fat foods anyway.

I recommend staying away from greasy foods and spicy foods. They go right through me, not fun at all.
    The doctor didn't give me any specifics other than that.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    When my ex husband had his taken out, he was supposed to stay away from heavy fatty foods for a week or so. Other than that, no restrictions. I think they tell everyone that just to be talkin'.
  • ChrisWag
    ChrisWag Posts: 169
    Options
    I had mine removed on March 8th and went back to 100% normal diet with no issues. In fact I was able to eat foods I couldn't prior cuz of the pain. From what I was told everyone is diff in how they react after the surgery.
  • autumn_mix
    autumn_mix Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder removed laproscopically in August 2008. My doctor said I would have no dietary restrictions post-surgery. I had a smoothie about five hours after I was released from the hospital. I was nauseated from the pain meds so I only had gatorade and broth for three days after the surgery, but that was just a bad response to the pain medication. I was back to eating normally within four days. Your hubby should be fine to eat normally as soon as he feels hungry after the surgery, or at least, that's what my doctor told me. Remember that my surgery was laproscopic - if his surgery isn't, things might be different.

I should mention, though, that my body is just as incapable of digesting fats as I was pre-surgery. I still cannot eat fried food or anything with cream/butter, and if I do it has to be in very small portions (i.e. a quarter of a cupcake) or else it goes right through me. It is not a quick fix, your husband will have to do some trial-and-error to figure out what foods and what amount of foods will work with his system. I know plenty of people who have had their gall bladders removed and can eat absolutely anything they want in any amount, so hopefully he will have that same result. Best of luck to you!
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Fatty or greasy foods really bothered me for a long time, but that was about it.
  • Gay11nell
    Gay11nell Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    There is not a specific diet. He will have to try things and see. Me, my Mom and My grandmother had the surgery at different times of course, they did not get back the ability to eat real spicy, heavy saucy foods. If they do, its only at home! At first I could not eat any greasy foods, dairy products, soda or coffee, but that went away with time. Hope this helps.
  • returntorural
    returntorural Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out several years ago. The only dietary restriction I remember is to avoid fatty foods. I still adhere to this advice because as several others have indicated, they can "go right through you."
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Fatty foods continue to bother my mum a bit.

In case this is your first experience with surgery, keep in mind that constipation is common after anaesthesia, and for any abdominal surgery it is REALLY something you want to do your best to avoid.
  • emom3boys
    emom3boys Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the quick responses.