Food for taste, or food for fuel?

Options
Howdy everyone :)

Just curious to hear about people's opinions regarding food choices because I've noticed lots of posts lately about people asking about how to make a certain food taste better and stuff

Are you the type of person who only eats what their body needs to function or for macronutrient purposes regardless of taste and eat it solely on the fact that the food is 'good for you' or do would you only eat a food if you enjoyed eating it and it tasted good to you, regardless of macronutrient composition or its number of calories.

Personally I'm a bit of both, I sometimes eat foods I don't like just to get the benefits or particular nutrient I need from it, SOwhat do YOU do? :D Looking forward to hearing it!

Replies

• savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Thinking food was something i should love and enjoy and taste amazing got me where i shouldnt have been...fat and addicted to bad foods.

Now i eat what i need for fuel...i dont like all of it but i do enjoy some but my goal is lean and muscles so i eat for that not for enjoyment.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Hi Chelsea,
    same as you, there are pragmatic foods inside my fridge, (I'm thinking about chicken breasts or greek yogurt). They are cool, but this ain't the taste of the year and some food I def. enjoy that I hit my macros with (gingerbread, fruits, fishes, and so on)

As for the "treats" - I never really buy them (thinking about ice-cream etc..)
    :)
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I aim for fuel + taste-- I've been cooking and preparing meals for a long time so I'm pretty good at making hippie food taste good. Then when something junky appears in the break room at work, I can a) ignore it since I'm satisfied with my tasty food, or b) splurge if it's something special (like homemade pastries that I don't know how to make).

That said, sometimes I just steam some greens and eat a little bit every day. I hate the bitter greens but I eat them as medicine because I feel tons better when I eat them daily.
  • heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm both but I won't make myself like something for the macros-instead, I find something I DO like! I think that's a way to fail-especially if you already have issues with food!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Definitely both, that's why food is great! haha. Sometimes the same food I'll prepare bare-bones for "fuel", and other times more decadently (like spinach - just plain and raw in a salad or smoothie, but creamed spinach with butter and parmesan cheese is one of my favourite comfort foods)

I hate when people dictate that you should get absolutely no enjoyment from the food you eat, that's BS. It comes down to balance, there is a time and place where you should absolutely eat something for the sole purpose that it tastes amazing, but obviously not every day. I know there are some people out there that are perfectly content to eat boiled chicken breasts and steamed veggies for every dinner of their life, but that's never been me, never will be. Once a foodie, always a foodie.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Definitely both, that's why food is great! haha. Sometimes the same food I'll prepare bare-bones for "fuel", and other times more decadently (like spinach - just plain and raw in a salad or smoothie, but creamed spinach with butter and parmesan cheese is one of my favourite comfort foods)

I hate when people dictate that you should get absolutely no enjoyment from the food you eat, that's BS. It comes down to balance, there is a time and place where you should absolutely eat something for the sole purpose that it tastes amazing, but obviously not every day. I know there are some people out there that are perfectly content to eat boiled chicken breasts and steamed veggies for every dinner of their life, but that's never been me, never will be. Once a foodie, always a foodie.

Yes!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    BOTH!!! Mangoes are delicious. And great fuel. Cantaloupe is delicious. And great fuel. Strawberries are delicious. And great fuel. I could go on.......
  • crazyjlyn
    crazyjlyn Posts: 225 Member
    Options

Yes!

Agree!!!
  • timvickroy
    timvickroy Posts: 12
    Options
    BOTH!! I couldn't imagine doing it any other way. Food is meant to be enjoyed. Just do so in a moderate, healthy way such that it properly fuels your body :-)
  • FitGrandma61
    Options
    I eat for fuel. I put lots of spices on my food to make it taste great! I make my own olive oil dressing that has everything from cumin to paprika, basil, parsley, garlic, etc. Spices make everything taste great. I give myself a cheat day once a week but find I don't enjoy it as much as I used to since eating healthy has become a way of life for me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i now want both. i'm a foodie at heart but also getting healthier, which means i both live to eat and eat to live.

but for the most part, my taste buds will win out. for instance i've tried replacing mayo with greek yogurt and i just cant do it. i'm sure i could change my tastebuds to accept it much the same i've changed my tastebuds to not need extra salt on stuff, but i dont think i want to give up mayo

there are times that i eat for fuel though. it's usually when i dont have an appetite and i know that i'm going to have to get up and do a tough workout. i'll make sure to eat something that's going to be be good with whatever i have planned for the next day, and i'm not eating it because i want to