CALORIES & food

Options
According to MFP, I'm eating too few calories. I keep reading about "starvation mode." But I gotta say... I'm not hungry. Gosh thats an incredible feeling! But I was wondering if MFP is right? Do I need to eat more? Or different types of food? This is my first week doing this and I've COMPLETELY changed my eating habits. But I'm already feeling awesome and more optimistic about it all. I guess I'm worried that I can still be eating more... properly? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    you may feel great now, but your body does need fuel. Its tough to give recommendations on diet because your diary is closed. The problem with cutting calories so drastically is that it usually isn't sustainable. You can do it for a while, but you may go back to your old ways. Unfortunately, almost all of us got to where we are by overeating and making the wrong choices, so being too extreme can lead us back to that.
  • imissbagels
    imissbagels Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    See I'm on a low carb diet.So I add carbs at each meal, not calories. Should I try to up the calories??

Also, how do I open my diary for anyone to see?
  • spngebobmyhero
    Options
    go to My Home, then the settings tab in the upper right on the blue bar. Choose Diary Settings and set to public.

Do you have your weight loss set to more than 1 pound a week? Unless you are extremely overweight, I would stick with 1 pound a week.

Make sure you eat plenty of healthy fats doing low carb, my intake is usually up to 50% and my carb intake is usually less than 100g a day.
  • imissbagels
    Options
    Well I am about 70lbs overweight. Should it be at 1lb/wk for that? What exactly are healthy fats? And yes, that was another question I had (sorry, I'm really new). When I customize my goals, what % should I have the carb, protein, & fat at?

Also keep in mind my dietitian suggested 30g carbs per meal and 15 per snack. Meaning no more than 120g carbs/day.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Well I am about 70lbs overweight. Should it be at 1lb/wk for that? What exactly are healthy fats? And yes, that was another question I had (sorry, I'm really new). When I customize my goals, what % should I have the carb, protein, & fat at?

Also keep in mind my dietitian suggested 30g carbs per meal and 15 per snack. Meaning no more than 120g carbs/day.

If you are paying a professional dietician, why don't you want to follow his/her recommended nutrition plan? They should have given you a whole plan.
  • imissbagels
    Options
    It was a quick consult. He gave me some recipes and told me to limit my carbs to 30g a meal. That's it.

But I dont know what I'm doing at all. How can I make my goals reflect that using %?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    what % should I have the carb, protein, & fat at?
    There is a lot of debate on this subject. I prefer the high carb, low fat approach, at about 80 carb, 10 each protein and fat. Ultimately, whatever the MACRO-nutrient ratio you choose, try to get as many MICRO-nutrients in as possible. Micro nutrients come from plant based foods like fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, beans, mushrooms, etc.

If you are feeling good on your current diet, and your energy is good, and you are optimistic, than you should listen to your body, and keep doing what you are doing. I think your own body's signals will be more accurate, and take into consideration current needs, more than the generic baseline number given by MFP.
  • drcrimson
    drcrimson Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think this is simply the delta between your caloric intake and what your body needs every day. If you stay below the goal at a pace of around 1 pound per week it works. No offense to the nutritionist, but I believe in keeping it simple where possible.

Good luck

yolodiet.com
  • spngebobmyhero
    Options

120g sounds great, especially if a dietitian gave you this plan. Did they also give you a calorie goal?

I would say that 1 pound a week sounds great. I had about 40 pounds to lose and did it at that speed. It took me about a year with maintenance calorie intake for Christmas and vacations. You'll just need to be patient. I really feel that doing it at 1 pound a week is sustainable for most people because you aren't super hungry or feeling deprived.

Healthy fats are ones from natural sources. I eat a paleo/primal type diet, so my idea of healthy fats is a bit different from a lot of people, meaning I eat saturated fat from natural sources, such as coconut oil and grassfed meats and butter. I would also recommend olive oil, avocado, nuts, and fish oil (or omega three fatty acids from another source, such as flax). This is simply my opinion and has served me very well.

As for macros, fix them so your carbs are at 120g as your dietitian recommended (maybe around 25-30%?) and then adjust your protein and fat to what you want. Perhaps 40% fat and 30% protein or the other way around? Its up to your and your dietitian and what makes you feel the best.

Feel free to send a friend request!
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Just took a look at your food diary, seems like you're pretty close to your calorie goal/limit each day. If you're looking to lose weight, keep going like that.
    If you find that you're getting exhausted throughout the day, then it's time to eat a bit more.
    My calories are set at 1,200 per day. I eat less than that every day and I still have the energy, feel good, etc. (and it's been a month of eating like this) so I'm keeping it like this until my body tells me otherwise!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You calorie goal is 1500 just work out percentages:

120g carbs = 400 calories = 32%
    120g protein = 400 calories = 32%
    60g fat = 540 calories = 36%

So each meal get in your 30g carbs x 3 meals = 90g, snacks 15g carbs x 2 = 30g
    Same for protein if doing 120g protein
    and fat divide up in meals.

You can probably lose 2lbs per week safely.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    You calorie goal is 1500 just work out percentages:

120g carbs = 400 calories = 32%
    120g protein = 400 calories = 32%
    60g fat = 540 calories = 36%

So each meal get in your 30g carbs x 3 meals = 90g, snacks 15g carbs x 2 = 30g
    Same for protein if doing 120g protein
    and fat divide up in meals.

You can probably lose 2lbs per week safely.

There ya go. Awesome.

So go to your goals from your home page, and choose "custom" goals....here's the link to it directly http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom

Change your percentages to 30% Carbs, 30% Protein, 40% Fat.

Ta da.