How aggressive is your weight loss goal per week?

Options
As in, how many pounds/week loss do you have in your settings? And how much weight in total are you trying to lose?

I have mine set at 1 pound/week, and I have 23 more pounds to lose to reach my goal weight.

I was thinking of changing my settings to 1/2 pound weight loss because I've been hungry and cranky at this rate...but I'm worried that I won't stay motivated enough with the slower weight loss. I would love to lose 2 pounds/week but I am just STARVING all the time with a 1000 calorie deficit! How do you 2 lb/weekers do it?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    As in, how many pounds/week loss do you have in your settings? And how much weight in total are you trying to lose?

I have mine set at 1 pound/week, and I have 23 more pounds to lose to reach my goal weight.

I was thinking of changing my settings to 1/2 pound weight loss because I've been hungry and cranky at this rate...but I'm worried that I won't stay motivated enough with the slower weight loss. I would love to lose 2 pounds/week but I am just STARVING all the time with a 1000 calorie deficit! How do you 2 lb/weekers do it?

Mine is set to 1/2 lbs per week and my goal is not weight loss but body recomposition. My focus is developing muscle tissue and lowering body fat. One of the issues, as you are experiencing, with an agressive loss goal is satiety and compliance. You don't say what you are doing to help your cause with exercise but that help burn more and gives you more to eat!
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Mine is set to 2 lbs a week, but I have a lot more to lose than you. I only get 1280 calories a day!! :sad:
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I think that mine defaults to .9/week, but I generally loose more than that. I have calories set to 1500. :) I cannot do the 1200 calorie thing. I work out 6 days/week and am seriously pissy pants on only 1200 cals
  • drcrimson
    drcrimson Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been targeting 1 pound a week. I believe this range is achievable and also offers good health benefits.

yolodiet.com
  • veganpoler
    veganpoler Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think that mine defaults to .9/week, but I generally loose more than that. I have calories set to 1500. :) I cannot do the 1200 calorie thing. I work out 6 days/week and am seriously pissy pants on only 1200 cals

Me too! I get 1700/day and I'm feeling cranky! I have lost weight on 2000/day before, and I'm considering going back to that. But when I did, I wasn't eating back any exercise cals. Hmmm...

And I have tried 1200/day also...and I lasted only a day and a half eating that way! It was fun pushing the "complete your entry" button and seeing a high projected weight loss in 5 weeks, but I just couldn't hack it.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    Mine is set at 2, though I usually hit a bit higher than that. I've got a naturally fast metabolism (Yay hyperthyroid?) and have been able to stick to it thus far. But I'm also bigger and had much more to lose, so that's a contributing factor as well.
  • veganpoler
    Options

Mine is set to 1/2 lbs per week and my goal is not weight loss but body recomposition. My focus is developing muscle tissue and lowering body fat. One of the issues, as you are experiencing, with an agressive loss goal is satiety and compliance. You don't say what you are doing to help your cause with exercise but that help burn more and gives you more to eat!

I'm doing pole fitness 4-5 times per week, or more. It's great for strength and flexibility but not so much cardio. I get to the gym maybe once/week to do cardio, but it's hard to fit that in around the pole fitness (I'm an instructor by evening, stay at home mom by day).
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    LOL @ pissy pants.....are we twins? :) Mine is only 1200. :(
  • veganpoler
    Options
    I think I just need to get it through my head that a little hunger is not a hardship - it is okay! It's worth the results.
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 1.5 lb per week and I try to carry over a little extra to try to get me up to 2lbs. I have to exercise otherwise I feel like I'm not eating enough. Try to do more veggies, cooked or raw, to help you feel full . I also like to make really hearty soups that I can eat a lot of with fewer cals.
  • kalyn_QT
    kalyn_QT Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    mine is set to 2 pounds a week and its tough making it up to my calorie goals after exercise is added in.

i have about 36 pounds to go but i've only just started my 3rd week so i have awhile. :smile:
  • parallax693
    Options
    Mine is also set at a pound per week, and I get just under 1700 calories a day. I usually don't eat back any of my exercise calories though. I find that drinking water or crystal lite when I'm hungry between meals helps a lot.
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Same as above recomp, roughly 1/2 lb per week.
  • pumpkinhoney
    Options
    Mine is 1 lb per week and calories per day are 1200

I lost 2 lb per week last yr , I am a vegetarian 90 percent , just take chicken once a.month
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    lol I'm at home with a 5 year and and a 1 year old everyday........ my sanity cannot afford pissy pants! I'm not that hungry on 1200 but daaaaaaamn.... RUN.
  • Fenestra13
    Fenestra13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 1lb a week but have lost 2 lbs each of the past two weeks. I am supposed to eat 1500 calories at 1lb a week, but find it hard to do that. 1700-1800 is more my speed so I don't get cranky. But I've been finding that when I do cardio, and "eat" my exercise calories, that I still only need to eat 1700-1800 calories, and come in on or under target. So for me, exercising actually keeps me from getting cranky! I'd urge you to find a way to fit the cardio in.

I also find that when I've been doing cardio every day, that I feel very low level hunger all day that doesn't bother me, rather than feeling gnawing hunger at points in the day. I've never tried exercising nearly every day before. While it was hard the first week, by the end of the second week I realized I was looking forward to exercising, and my body generally just felt better all the time, as did my appetite! I'm only trying to lose 15 lbs, but I'd been trying to lose them forever, and this is the first thing that's really working. I should note that I have bad knees, so I do low impact aerobics or aqua aerobics for about 55minutes - longer and less impact means I don't hurt so much and can keep at the pace of everyday exercise while still burning about 300 calories each time.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm set for 1 pound a week and have at least another 30 to 40 pounds to go. I tend to drop then stagnate, bouncing up and down for a while, then dropping again. The last time MFP recalculated my calories due to weight loss it set me at 1740 calories and .9 pounds a week. I just recently noticed that and changed it back to 1lb a week. MFP dropped me another 40 calories to 1700.
  • CameoDouglas
    CameoDouglas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I`m looking to lose about 15lbs and I`ve set mine to 1.5lbs per week. I have no issue with eating 1000 calories a day, I find it difficult to eat more (don`t worry I keep up with 1290) my difficulties is the exercise.
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    i have it set to lose 1/2 lb per week, i have 11lbs left to go.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 1 lb per week..... and I'm just a pound or two away from my goal. The loss has been VERY non-linear for the past 6 months...... I was stuck at 139-140 for months... and just this week dropped down to 136. Then I got a stomach virus and dropped to 133. I expect to gain some of that dehydration weight back.... but hoping I can keep to 136.