What Does Your Running Schedule Look Like?

Options

Replies

• secondchance82
    Options
    I've been running 3 years, and have 2 races under my belt (marathon, and 5K). I'm currenly training for a half marathon in Sept., and a full in November, a 50K in March, and then a 50 miler next July.

Sunday: off
    Monday: 120 minute
    Tuesday: 60 minutes of intervals
    Wednesday: Cycle for 60 minutes
    Thursday: 60 minute run
    Friday: 90 minute run
    Saturday: 120 minutes of intervals/sprints
  • NurseCarolyn2014
    Options
    I really commend all of those who do "long runs" of 15k or more. I am fairly new to running so the furthest I've ran is 7k and my legs were rubber.
  • shannypoo21
    shannypoo21 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I run 3 times a week.

Tuesday: 3.5 miles
    Thursday: 3.5 miles
    Saturday: 4-10 miles
  • findingmyhappyplace
    findingmyhappyplace Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Within the week:

1 long run (usually 15-20k)
    1 medium run (8-12k)
    1 intervals or speed day (20 mins plus warm up and cool down)
    1 hills day (20 mins plus warm up and cool down)

I also run 4k round trips whenever I hit the gym for strength training. I aim to hit 40k+ per week. I also cycle the same sort of distance each week and strength train 2-3 days. The concept of rest days is something I am working on ;)

(Runner since Feb 2012, goals are sub-46 10k within the next month and sub-1:45 1/2M in October)
  • grumpy2day
    grumpy2day Posts: 212
    Options
    I'm "doing" the c25k plan and my "schedule" is supposed to be Mon, Wed, Fri. But in reality is more like Day 1 run, Days 2, and 3 watch it pour rain:explode: LOL I've been tryng to complete week 2 for almost a month:grumble: :grumble:
  • jocamaria
    jocamaria Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm also following Jeff Galloway's plan.
    Sunday - long run (This Sunday I'll be doing 6 miles)
    Monday - cross training (spinning) or rest depending on how I feel
    Tuesday - run 45 minutes (almost 5 miles)
    Wednesday - cross train or rest
    Thursdsay - run 45 minutes
    Sat - rest

Beginning this week, I'm going to start adding 5 min. to my runs on Tues and Thurs.
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, guys! :smile:
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I run 5x a week for 5k and sometimes I do doubles. I am aiming for one longer run a week after breaking an hour and getting to 8k last week. :) I only rest once Wed or Tues and once on weekend. :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Currently I'm training for a half marathon (again, I trained last year but has an injury one month out and changed to run a 10k instead).
    My current schedule looks something like this:
    Monday: 5k hill run. My race has hills so I'm going to be prepared.
    Tuesday: rest
    Wednesday: 6km pace run (starting slow and running a portion at race pace)
    Thursday: 5km intervals
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: long run. I'm 11 weeks out from my half marathon so this weekend's run will be 10km, increasing over the weeks to 20km a few weeks before the race
    Sunday: rest

My schedule is pretty flexible - it its too stormy outside on one day, I'll swap the runs around. If I only get three runs in for the week, that's OK but I'm aiming for four.

The weekday runs will get a little bit longer as the program goes on - it's based on the Marathon Rookie training plan.
    Last year I used a Runkeeper training plan but I think that had too many runs and too many km, so this time I'm keeping it a bit leaner on the miles and speed and am hoping to avoid injury that way.

My best advice:
    - good shoes
    - good bra (mostly for the ladies)
    - start running slowly, build up endurance before speed
    - find a program that pushes you, but not too fast or too hard - injuries suck!
    - find a race to aim for.

Enjoy!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    No specific running schedule here. I can now run up to 10k, and that's the most I ever plan to run. I just get out there whenever I can, and run as much as I can/want. Last week, 10k was easy. Last night, I managed 2.5 miles but on a slightly new route, with a little more elevation than usual. I run flat on roads, so I'm trying to just find a few routes with small hills in case they come up when I'm doing an official race. With no more distance goals, my aim is just to keep enjoying it and run lots of official races up to 10k in length.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Training for my first marathon...

I run 6 days a week, varied distances up to 8 miles during the week. A mid range run on Saturday (6-10) and a long run on Sunday (8-15). Trying to get my base mileage up over 50 per week.

Goal for the first marathon is to finish around 4:30. (training for a 3:45 pace, but know that will probably be a bit slower due to lack of experience)
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Good luck to all of you in your upcoming races!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My typical week:
    Saturday: Long Run (11-12 miles, around 9:00-9:15 per mile)
    Sunday: Short Easy Run (3-4 miles, 9:00-9:15 per mile)
    Monday: No run, just cross-train
    Tuesday: Speed Work (tonite, for example, is intervals. 6 miles total: 1 mile warm-up, 3x 1600 @ 7:16 with 800 jog, cool-down)
    Wednesday: Boot Camp
    Thursday: Easy Run (usually around 4.5-5 miles)
    Friday: Rest

All for this schedule:
    9/15 - USAF Half-Marathon, Wright-Patt AFB, Dayton, OH
    10/27 - Spinx Runfest, Go Greenville Half-Marathon, Greenville, SC
    11/23 - Spacecoast Half-Marathon, Cocoa, FL
    2/25 - Melbourne Half-Marathon Relay, Melbourne, FL

And I'll probably fit another race in there somewhere.
  • cjmas
    cjmas Posts: 63
    Options
    I'm doing an Insanity + half marathon training schedule. My easy run distances increase every two weeks, my long runs increase every week. (With tapering on the 12th week.)

This week (week 3 of running, start of month 2 of Insanity)

Monday: Insanity/ no run
    Tuesday: Insanity/ easy run - currently 3.5
    Wednesday: Insanity/ interval/speed training
    Thursday: Insanity/ easy run - currently 3.5
    Friday: Insanity/ no run
    Saturday: Insanity/ long run - currently 6 miles
    Sunday: ****REST DAY****

I take my rest day seriously.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I finished C25K in Feb/March. I run 3 times a week:

Tuesday: 4-5 miles
    Thursday: 4-5 miles
    Saturday: Longer run - longest is 6.5 miles, shooting for 7 this weekend I think.

Had my best run today - 5 miles in 52:42 (10.5 per mile). Really pushed the first 3 miles and got it under 30 min, slowed down a little towards the end. Big hill I had to walk a little on.

Mon, Wed and Fri I do Kettlebell workouts and sometimes Sundays.

Edit: Forgot goals. Increase pace, and I also want to do a half-marathon at some point. Thinking about this fall, but I may wait a little longer. Not sure if I am ready to spend more than and hour and a half running on Saturdays.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I have sort of underwhelming knees, so I do a lot of cross-training. I'm also trying to challenge myself this month by doing a lot to boost my fitness so I can do well for my 2 half-marathons I want to run in the fall. So right now it's:

Sun: Long run (6-12 miles)
    Mon: Cross train (bike 8-12 miles); 30 day shred
    Tues: Easy run (3 miles); 30 day shred
    Wed: Cross train or run; 30 day shred
    Thurs: 5-6 miles tempo/interval; 30 day shred
    Fri: Cross train (12-15 miles biking); 30 day shred
    Sat: 30 day shred

This is enough variation that I don't get bored, nothing gets too stressed, and I get to work different muscle groups almost daily. I'm also running when I get off work at 4:30 so I can get used to the heat before it's too late. I used to run and do nothing else, but mixing in whole body workouts and biking has helped my knees a lot, and building more core muscles helps stabilize my legs so I can run better. It all works together to boost my running skills :)
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hey, guys! I recently finished C25K and ran my first 5k last weekend, and I'm running another one this coming weekend. I'm just curious how often people run and how far? Since completing C25K, I run every other day and I'm up to 5 miles. My goal is to be able to run a 10k and eventually a mini!
    So, just out of curiosity, what does your running schedule look like and what are your running goals? And, if you have any tips or advice for a new runner, please share! :smile:

I would like to start c25k but i don't have an iphone hence an app. Can I still do it, if so how? Help.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm new to running...started c25K back in march.

I run on Tuesday, thursday and Saturday, I have a 4 runs that I rotate

1. 4 miles...this trail has a hill at least every mile
    2. 3 miles flat...i run top speed for 1/10 mile then, regular pace for 2/10 mile
    3. 4 miles...not quite as hilly as day 1
    4. 3 miles, regular pace, on the route the my first actually 5k race will be

I would like to start c25k, where can I find the training schedule? I don't have an iphone hence no app. Please help.

I also ride my bike or swim after I run
    and on M-W-F I do heavy lifting and the elliptical machine, or swim

don't know if this is a good plan, but it works for me....back when I started c35K, i could even do the 60 sec run...and now my best time on the 3 mile was 31 min 30 sec
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    Hey, guys! I recently finished C25K and ran my first 5k last weekend, and I'm running another one this coming weekend. I'm just curious how often people run and how far? Since completing C25K, I run every other day and I'm up to 5 miles. My goal is to be able to run a 10k and eventually a mini!
    So, just out of curiosity, what does your running schedule look like and what are your running goals? And, if you have any tips or advice for a new runner, please share! :smile:

I would like to start c25k but i don't have an iphone hence an app. Can I still do it, if so how? Help.

If you google something like "beginners run-walk program" or something like that you'll hit some similar training programs (like this: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-520--9397-F,00.html) - you'll just need a watch to time your intervals.
  • sandrasturz
    Options
    Last week looked like this:
    Monday -10
    Tuesday- 4.5
    Wednesday- 3.5
    Thursday- 4.5
    Friday- 6.4
    Saturday 13.1
    Sunday- Rest Day

This week is looking like this:
    Monday-10
    Tuesday- 6.4
    Wednesday- 6-7
    Thursday- 5-6
    Friday Rest Day
    Saturday- A fast 10
    Sunday- Whatever I feel up to.

I'm currently training for my 3rd half marathon in which I hope to come in under 2hrs. Last month I did one in 2:02 but I also had more time to train so we'll see!!!