How aggressive is your weight loss goal per week?

Options

Replies

• nsj241
    nsj241 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm set for 1.8lbs, I was a member before and lost 26lbs eating 1200 calories per day! I was running, strength training, sauna, walking almost every night as well with a friend or my 4yr old! I gained it all back in a matter of 2 1/2 - 3months and I'm ready to get back on track! I want to lose a total of 30lbs to start off with, however I would like to lose 50lbs over all to put me at a comfortable weight of 140, There is no reason for weighing close to 190lbs when I'm only 5'2"!!!!! I really am a bigger boned person and hold my weight decent, but wow the difference is amazing when your smaller. Right now I'm having an extreme craving of BREAD! **SIGH**

Anyway, I was going to mention for me if I just have a protein filled breakfast (cottage cheese, egg, whole wheat bread or oats) then I can stay fuller longer and I'm ok to eat healthy snacks/meals throughout the day, usually the fight was the evening/night meals that would get me. I found just drinking a full glass of cold water and playing on the computer instead of eating, then straight to bed was what helped me through the day.
  • composerclark
    composerclark Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 2 lbs a week, and 1200 calories a day, mainly because I thought I would feel more encouraged if I were making rapid progress. That said, I have exceeded my daily goal many times, but over the past five months have averaged a weight loss of 1.6 lbs a week, so I'm happy with that. I'm within 10-15 lbs of my goal, and exercising more than I have in years, so I am considering raising my daily calorie limit, or, at the least, eating back my exercise calories, which I wasn't doing regularly until now.

Some people do well with an aggressive (low) daily calorie limit, and some don't; the trick is to just try different approaches until you find one that works for you, and that you can live with.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Mine is set on 2 lbs per week. If Im trying to lose weight and I lose less than that I really beat myself up about it. I guess I'm pretty impatient wen it comes to weight loss but I've been losing around 3 lbs each week and I'm happy with that amount.

Cept this week... TOMs messin everything up!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Mine is set to maintain. I try to eat a little over that though.
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 1/2 lb loss a week, but only b/c MFP says I should eat 1550 cals when I've calculated that I need 1950 cals a day for my LMP/Insanity hybrid calendar. My BMR is around 1550, so I had to change it so that it would match my calculations. Watching to see what happens with the modifications.

Sara :flowerforyou:
  • Aes37850
    Aes37850 Posts: 48
    Options
    I have mine set at 2lb/week. More like 2.2lb. I have an "active" lifestyle (waitress/bartender/restaurant etc). I have my goal set at about 1400 cal a day. It's a struggle sometimes, but even if I go over on my calories it's not going to hurt me much. I just try to focus on making healthier choices over bad ones. I'm on my way to lose about 60 lbs. and have lost about 10 so far.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    Mines been at 2lbs per week but I haven't been sticking to it as best as I should so I haven't lost in a real long time. I'm back to it though so I hope it works for me again.
  • Jbbaby111
    Jbbaby111 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I lost 3 # last week! ive been eating more filling foods so im not as cranky....But i have alot more weight to lose LOL But i do around 1200 cals and been Zumbaing this past week
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    2 lbs a week is for people who have a lot of weight to loose. As you get closer to your goal your goal should be less. 1 lbs a week is right where you should be for sustainable weight loss, I started off at 2, now I am at about .5 lbs a week, or at least trying. I didn't loose for 3 weeks then last week I lost 1.6 lbs. weight loss is weird. My cals are set to net 1550 at the moment and i eat back all my work out cals.

so right now, i would say its not very aggressive.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am set to lose 2 pounds...

I run a lot, work on my feet all day and sometime get to the gym. Running for an hour gives you an extra 800 calories or so!
  • TiffanyElaine89
    TiffanyElaine89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 2lbs a week. I've only been doing this program for 3 weeks but so far so good (5.8 down). However, I do exercise and burn at least 400 calories (5-6 days a week) and then I eat those calories back...because eating 1200 calories a day would make me sad haha. So I would say exercise so you can eat a bit more...it might make you really hungry for a couple of days but then your body will get the hang of it. :)
  • maigan_lynn
    Options
    I have mine set at the max - 2lbs per week. This is my first week and managed to lose 4-5lbs (I have a 20-25lb goal). I know this is probably 'water weight' and definitely not all fat. I'm at the 1200 cal a day point but I do eat back my calories - I find that helps in keeping me from starving. The first few days I was really hungry. It's learning to balance your meals so you're not starving in between. I have my three meals (not massive meals either) and a snack in the evening plus water throughout the day. I got through the first few days of aggravation and *****iness and now I feel much better. I'm also working out quite a bit too. I do cardio pretty much every day - 40 minute fast paced walk with the dog as many days as possible, as well as weight training 2-4 times a week. I would just say balance is the most essential piece to keep from becoming 'pissy pants' lol.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I think I just need to get it through my head that a little hunger is not a hardship - it is okay! It's worth the results.

Hunger is NOT OK...your body is telling you something... I lost over 60lbs on between 1600 and 2000 cals a day - it took me a long time - lost it at an average of .4lbs a week....But guess what..
    It`s still off three years later, and I was never hungry.... I`m currently eating 2100 and more on high cardio days - don`t lose much weight, but have built a few nice muscles and lost tons of inches....
    Got take a look at the eat more to lose weight group - you might get a nice surprise....
    good luck
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 2lbs a week and have been losing 2lbs a week, which is nice to see. I'm on a strict diet (well, nutrition regime) of very low carb and high protein with lots of veggies, and eating every couple hours throughout the day to boost my metabolism (and not eating after dinner at 6:30) - coupled with exercise 6 days a week - and that includes cardio and weights/strength training (for example i did an hour on the treadmill today and 30 minutes brisk walking to/from work). So i'm putting in a lot of effort, and am seeing 2lbs a week religiously... and I just hope it stays like that for my next (and final (ish)) 25lbs! :)
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 2lbs per week. Some weeks its more, some weeks its less, but you just got to keep going to get to finish line :)
  • desert_rhino
    desert_rhino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I started out with it set to 2 pounds per week, but I was averaging 3 pounds per week for the last 10 weeks. I reset it to 1 pound per week about a week ago, but now I'm fasting one day a week. I eat back some to most of my exercise calories (by heart rate monitor), and try really hard to come in UNDER, rather than over every day.

Two things that helped me a lot:
    1: drink water. About half the time I felt hungry, I was really thirsty.
    2: cut carbs from snacks almost completely, and cut them in general. Sugar (and simple starches) make me HUNGRY within about an hour. I eat carbs mostly with other foods, to blunt the insulin spike.
    3: (can't count) Fast for 24 to 36 hours, drinking all the black coffee, unsweetened tea (green is best), and water you want. Just once, or once a week. It helped me reset my "hungry" meter. About 1/4 of the time I felt hungry, I was just bored. :)
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I calculated my calories on another site and manually set my goals. According to MFP I should only be losing .06 lbs a week (they had me set way lower on calories originally) but I've been losing 1 lb a week on average (although I dropped 3 this last week). And that's eating more than what MFP had me set at.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I think I just need to get it through my head that a little hunger is not a hardship - it is okay! It's worth the results.

Hunger is NOT OK...your body is telling you something... I lost over 60lbs on between 1600 and 2000 cals a day - it took me a long time - lost it at an average of .4lbs a week....But guess what..
    It`s still off three years later, and I was never hungry.... I`m currently eating 2100 and more on high cardio days - don`t lose much weight, but have built a few nice muscles and lost tons of inches....
    Got take a look at the eat more to lose weight group - you might get a nice surprise....
    good luck

Yeah, if you are hungry that is your body's way of telling you that you need fuel (if it's genuine hunger and not just an urge to munch when you're bored or something). Gotta work WITH your body- not against it!
  • tugers2
    tugers2 Posts: 139
    Options
    i aim for 2 pounds a week but i'll take what i can get... certain times of the month (wink) i dont lose anything but the following week or weeks it will catch up to me and i'll lose 3-5 lbs in one week
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I have mine set at 1.5, sometimes I lose more sometimes I lose less.