Not getting enough water.

Options
My nutritionist wants me to drink at least 80 but more like 95 ounces of water daily. I'm really struggling with this. I have a 33 ounce water bottle and I try to carry it everywhere, but I am lucky to drain it once a day. Suggestions? I can't have any sweeteners or flavoring, so that option is out. The only "trick" I've been successful with is to add a tiny bit of lemon juice and a teaspoon of stevia to make a watery lemonade flavor...but that only lasts so long. LOL.

Replies

• zosia141
    zosia141 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    that's 10 toalmost 12 8oz glasses per day. Sounds like a lot to me. 33 sounds low, but it depends on what else you're eating and drinking. Did your nutritionist say why she wants you to drink so much? Are you working out in hot weather? Sweating a lot?
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I cut up fruit to put in mine, limes, lemons, oranges, you can use cucumbers or mint. I put them in a pitcher fill it with water, let it sit overnight and it's so good!
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I drink anywhere from 80 - 160oz of water a day depending on my workout, heat & humidity.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I like to start the day by grabbing a 25 oz glass of water right away, sometimes two, immediately after waking up. Before anything else, drink this breakfast water. This sets you on the right path, as far as water consumption is concerned for the day. I also try to drink a 15 oz glass at least 10 minutes before every meal, sometimes two. If you make it a point to drink a lot of water, at whatever designated times you want, it becomes less important to drink from your bottle constantly. You might only need a bottle for exercising. I bring a bottle everywhere, but i rarely drink from it, because i have so much at my designated times, i'm usually not terribly thirsty.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I cut up fruit to put in mine, limes, lemons, oranges, you can use cucumbers or mint. I put them in a pitcher fill it with water, let it sit overnight and it's so good!
    That sounds delicious! I make lemon water a lot, it's really good, but i've never tried the others.
  • adrim24
    adrim24 Posts: 21
    Options
    I DONT REALLY TRACK MY WATER INTAKE I USUALLY FORGET BUT I USUALLY DRINK 10 + CUPS AND THE WAY I DO THIS IS I STOPPED BUYING DIET SODA'S JUICES AND WHENEVER I AM THIRSTY I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO DRINK WATER
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Fresh strawberries are also delicious!

have you seen the reports out in the last few weeks that say you don't need to get all your liquids from water? Other fluids are acceptable and there are plenty of liquids in foods.

but if it must be water - just keep on sipping all day. Always have water at hand and keep at it.
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I found a product called TRUE LEMON and TRUE LIME(they also make orange). It is crystallized real lemon or lime. No added sweeteners, zero calories. I LOVE it, and it has made drinking water much more pleasant. You find it in the baking aisle along side the sweeteners.
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Suggestions? I can't have any sweeteners or flavoring, so that option is out. The only "trick" I've been successful with is to add a tiny bit of lemon juice and a teaspoon of stevia to make a watery lemonade flavor...but that only lasts so long. LOL.

If you like chai but don't want caffeine, try Bengal Spice Tea. It has no sugar or artificial flavors, and is naturally sweet. It (the cinnamon in it) is said to reduce bad cholesterol and also help with blood/sugar problems. It seems to help my metabolism. I drink at least 64oz a day, I do not refrigerate it, just put a tea bag in and carry it around with me. It is pretty tasty.
    good luck
  • adrim24
    adrim24 Posts: 21
    Options
    I found a product called TRUE LEMON and TRUE LIME(they also make orange). It is crystallized real lemon or lime. No added sweeteners, zero calories. I LOVE it, and it has made drinking water much more pleasant. You find it in the baking aisle along side the sweeteners.

YES WE HAVE THESE AT WORK I JUST ADD SOME OF THE TRUE LEMON TO CARBONATED WATER . TASTES JUST LIKE SODA BUT WAYYY BETTER FOR U
  • MariettaDelene
    MariettaDelene Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Like you, I struggled in the past to get down the standard 8 glasses of water. I still sometimes struggle. Even if it had flavor, I'm just not a liquid drinker. But I do have a few tricks up my sleeve that's helped.

1. When I eat, I tend to take a gulp of water after every or every other bite. Before I know it, I'm down two cups.
    2. When I work out, I take a large gulp or two before I change what I'm doing. In a 45 minute workout, this often means I down 4 cups.

Start low. If you're getting 33 ounces, aim for 40. Once you can get 40, aim for 50. When I finally hit 8 cups a day, I felt waterlogged. After time, my body got used to it. Now, if I don't get my 8 cups in a day, I can tell - my mouth gets very dry and I feel bogged down.

Just take it one step at a time! You'll get there!
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    dont' do it.... outdated old news. drink when you are thirsty, and drink anything you want.
    http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/05/12053524-let-go-of-the-water-bottle-youre-plenty-hydrated-people?chromedomain=bodyodd

pass the good news on to all the water haters... let go of the guilt

I rarely drink water. usually diet soda. some times crystal light. move on
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options

That is a fantastic idea!! My husband will like that!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    TO me filtered water makes a big difference. idk why but it just tastes better to me. I have a filter jug at home that I refill once or twice a day and fill up my bottle that holds 24 oz. water.

I am on computer alot so I keep the bottle with me and sip on it throughout the day. At first I think you might feel odd but you will get used ot drinking alot really fast
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have a cup with a straw that I bought at Walmart and I just always keep it with me with water in it. Something about sipping out of a straw makes it easy for me, since you're not really thinking of it when you do it. Mine holds 2 cups of water in it, so after I refill it 4 times, I've hit my water mark for the day.
    Also, I find that water with ice in it is easier for me to keep drinking, so try an insulated cup?
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I strongly believe dehydration is a serious issue and I strive to get my 64 oz. (Eight 8-oz cups) but I question the necessity of 96 oz per day unless you are seriously sweating profusely and consistently in your job each day (construction, etc.)

Someone asked earlier and I am still curious...did the doctor give a reason for so much water?

Having said that...

I often hike with a camelbak. They are awesome to have on you and you can take a sip whenever you feel like it without having to worry about carrying bottle or cups. I've even used them on treadmills and elliptical machines on rainy days.

Also, drinking too much water can wash away electrolytes and nutrients your body needs. I would get a second opinion.
  • sulci
    sulci Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I drink way more water if it's freezing cold, I don't drink very much if i have warm water. Little things like that help me hit 8 cups a day :)