Finding It Hard To Get In All My Calories

Options
heagler870
heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
I'm allowed 1620 calories per day. Before I even workout I usually have 400 or so left. I am not hungry so I don't eat unless I am hungry. After I work out I eat something but it still doesn't get in all my calories for the day. Any suggestions? Like today I have about 900 calories left and I am no where near hungry. In fact I am full after drinking my protein shake

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Plan your day a little better. Eat more at breakfast and lunch. Use full fat dairy (cheeses, milk, yogurt) have snacks with peanut butter or avocado.

You can't wait till late to eat if you aren't getting the calories in.
  • Meadows18
    Meadows18 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact same, not eating enough calories. Not hungry, so I don't eat. Been forcing myself to eat more the last couple of days and don't like how I'm feeling and it is affecting my mood. Gonna go back to eating just between 700-900 calories but will start drinking my protein shakes more often.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    eating carbs picks up my appetite.
  • foodietrudie
    Options
    I had the same problem not too long ago and got lots of helpful suggestions!

Try adding things to your meals to help boost the calories like peanut butter salad dressing salsa... get plenty of protein and you can make fruit smoothies with yougurt and a protein bar for a snack. Have a meal or snack every three hours.
    Good Luck!
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Well I am doing paleo so I am not sure if that is the culprit. I get plenty of carbs from fruits. I don't know. I guess I will just up my food intake at breakfast and lunch.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I'm allowed 1620 calories per day. Before I even workout I usually have 400 or so left. I am not hungry so I don't eat unless I am hungry. After I work out I eat something but it still doesn't get in all my calories for the day. Any suggestions? Like today I have about 900 calories left and I am no where near hungry. In fact I am full after drinking my protein shake

So how long have you been unable to eat all of your calories? I see you have done really well and have lost 50+ lbs. Maybe since you have lost weight you no longer need to eat that many calories. I would not worry about it, do what your Body is calling for...Naturally the Body stagger its caloric needs. One day you will not want much and another you will be extra hungry. The problem comes in when you do not recognize what your Body is doing and panic, like now and force it...and maybe a week from now you will be saying that you feel bad because you "over-ate" by 500-800 calories. So your Body calls for 1200 calories today, OK, 3 days from now it may want something sweet and a few more calories, ok...you will end up averaging what you need. Also, some people call this "zig-zagging" calories to keep the metabolism active and they do it on purpose, when in reality that is the natural way to eat. Eating a set number of calories every day is "Un-Natural."
  • greenkarla
    greenkarla Posts: 15
    Options
    I have the same problem. I was with a trainer for 6months with only a 3lb weightloss. I never ate more than 1000cal per day. I can NEVER eat more than that. It makes me want to vomit. I tried shakes. it takes me 3hrs to drink a shake, and Im full for the whole 3hrs plus an hour after.
    Im adding cranberries and almonds to my salads to add calories... and feeling very guilty for it. When I add cheese I feel like Im cheating and it feels no better than eating a bag of chips.
    This eating thing is very stressful. I do like quinoa though. That was helpful in adding calories, and really good with just about anything. I had it for breakfast, warmed with diced apple, cinnamon and sugar. it was very yummy and like a real desert!!! I also had it for lunch one day, loaded with all my natcho toppings (except loaded on the quinoa!). You can basically replace it into any recipe for rice or oats!!!
    Every day Im learning more ways to sneak in good calories. Hope you do too!
  • kmmealey
    kmmealey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the "Eat More to Weigh Less" group here on MFP? A very active group, always have a lot of suggestions, for increasing (healthy) calories. There are a lot of links there also so you can calculate your BMR & how many calories/day you should be eating. I find that "group" to be really helpful.
  • jenmfpal
    jenmfpal Posts: 124
    Options
    You could add protein bar shakes and fruit for snacks and veggies to your eggs. View your friend's diaries to get ideas.

Also if you're loosing weight, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You do know that most nutritionists recommend 2 year olds eat 1500-2000 cal per day. Your not hungry because your used to starving. That is how we survive famines.

I`m sure you`ll just think I`m nuts. Please look up the calories you really need on an online calculator.

Or get a fit bit and you will see how many your burning per day. I guarantee it`s more than 1680.

That`s how much people burn in a coma.

Sorry to be so blunt but this gets posted on here a lot.

Check out EMTWL group in the groups section of this site to learn more about what is happening in your body.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    This question comes up a lot. I think that perhaps its a kind of trolling for an excuse to eat less than is generally considered healthful.

Put a couple of large spoons of cocoanut oil in your protein shakes and that will fix you up.
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    A few tricks I use:

1. Drink milk - it adds to your protein as well as your calories (I only drink skimmed, but even a 300mls glass adds 105 cals.
    2. Use olive oil instead of low cal oil spray - just 15mls (1 tbsp) will add around 123 cals to your meal.
    3. Houmous and peanut butter are your friends. Use them for dipping your veggies into with your lunch - delicious!
    4. Use butter! I know it goes against everything you get told when you go on a "diet" but it has way fewer additives that margerine and spreads.
    5. Sprinkle seeds on your breakfast, whether it's cereal, fruit or yoghurt - it's delicious, nutritious and will add some more calories.
    6. Treat yourself! Have a few squares of chocolate or a small cupcake or a homemade muffin. If you have the calories to spare, congratulate yourself and have that little treat. ;)
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    You do know that most nutritionists recommend 2 year olds eat 1500-2000 cal per day. Your not hungry because your used to starving. That is how we survive famines.

I`m sure you`ll just think I`m nuts. Please look up the calories you really need on an online calculator.

Or get a fit bit and you will see how many your burning per day. I guarantee it`s more than 1680.

That`s how much people burn in a coma.

Sorry to be so blunt but this gets posted on here a lot.

Check out EMTWL group in the groups section of this site to learn more about what is happening in your body.

Pretty wrong, my BMR is 1560, to maintain weight about 1800!
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    so you burn only 300 calories per day? You don`t move at all? Not even walk the dogs? Or clean the house?

Maybe I am taller than you but I am maintaining at that number. I guess I just move around more than most?

There is this really cool link. Put what you do in a day into it. http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

I find it hard to believe you only burn 300 cal a day.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm not that familiar w/ the Paleo diet, but a higher calorie protein shake mixed with milk (instead of water or almond/soy milk) would help get your calories in, plus give you some extra protein, which is always a good thing. I'm just not sure if you can have protein powder on the Paleo diet.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    so you burn only 300 calories per day? You don`t move at all? Not even walk the dogs? Or clean the house?

Maybe I am taller than you but I am maintaining at that number. I guess I just move around more than most?

There is this really cool link. Put what you do in a day into it. http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

I've figured up my BMR and TDEE before...but this calculator is pretty neat!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options

I've figured up my BMR and TDEE before...but this calculator is pretty neat!

That IS a cool calculator. It seems much more accurate for me than any of the other ones.I've used a lot of them, and they are always low compared to what I have proved through experience. I love it; thanks, whoever posted it :smile:
  • hddeuce1966
    hddeuce1966 Posts: 104
    Options
    My mommy taught me: if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. Nothing negative is going to help to motivate someone. Be nice people!