Whole Foods Market

Options
Hi everyone! I'm going to Whole Foods tomorrow which happens on rare occasion since I have to travel to Pennsylvania to go there. I love the store and am obsessed, but once I enter its vast greatness I get overwhelmed and end up leaving practically empty handed. So I am here to ask: what are a few of your favorite Whole Foods products?

Replies

• mirthegeologist
    mirthegeologist Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bulk items, especially spices, stone-ground grits, old-fashioned oats, & lentils--so much cheaper than packaged versions!

I also buy the foodie/gormet items that I need & can't find anywhere else (but that's recipe specific...).
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Good place to get bulk. They let me use my own containers and reusable bags for bulk stuff which is nice. I also like to get dried mushrooms there because they always seem to have a nice selection (I love lobster mushrooms but they're hard to find around me). I also sometimes get edible flowers to pretty up my dishes. I find the produce section is nice to browse in but I try to get things that I can't get locally (the closest WF is in another city).

I tend not to get basics there, it's not worth the price. However, if you like spices/seasoning (great place to get fancy chilis/salt/blends) or cheese it's great for that.
  • jones137
    jones137 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Their grass fed steaks are awesome, Salad Bar is awesome, Fresh Vegetables, Quinoa in Bulk, Local Marinade Sauces, Huge Nut selection.
  • dotbell123
    dotbell123 Posts: 11
    Options
    I could live in the produce section and die happy. :bigsmile: Olivia's Organic Baby Spinach, blueberries, strawberries, mushrooms, mangos, cucumbers... Love that place.

Their ground beef is amazing. No hormones, additives or pink slime. Love the cheeses, mine has an 'under $3 basket', so you can try something new (and not blow your budget or calories).

Oh, and try their mocha iced coffee with skim milk. Totally solves my chocolate/caffeine cravings. :heart:
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I adore their wild salmon patties with spinach and feta. (240 calories each). So delicious! Their entire seafood section is outstanding.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    There's a line of packaged chicken sausage that's to die for.....can't remember the name, but it's right across from the meat counter. Oh YUM!
  • r3ban1x
    r3ban1x Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money on "conventional" produce unless it's something that's hard to find as they charge twice as much as regular grocery stores for the same non-organic products. Agreed about the bulk items, french green lentils, black lentils, quinoa, just a great section overall.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Bulk is good - I love to buy things like spices, fancy salt and peppers - don't let the price scare you off the weight for those things are fairly minimal - I bought a bunch of different spices, cinnimon, nutmeg, chinese 5 spice, dill, etc..I didn't pay any more than $1 for any of the bags and the price ranged from $3.99/lb to $38.99/lb - same goes for the fancier salts and peppers - even if they have a high price per pound a scoop or two might cost a few $$

Fresh ground almond butter...(they have peanut butter too)

Check what specials they are having - I have gotten some good deals on meats and seafoods based on their sales....(be sure to take a cooler with you)
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I always buy Tzatziki. A good substitute for mayonnaise and tartar sauce. Also jalapeño hummus. Whole grains, And I usually get something for some of their recipes. A lot of the recipes are for items on the food bar--so if you eat their and like it you can usually make it at home.
  • sweetbeckymarie
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) looks like I'm buying bulk tomorrow!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Whole Foods sounds amazing. I buy all my groceries in a store similar to it that is a store here in my town. We are supposedly getting a Whole Foods here though which would be amazing!
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I live in Bradenton, Fl. and they are in the process of building the WF store now, the best part is it's 5 minutes from the house. I can't wait till they open sometime this summer. How's their fish and their prices on the fish? How about the cheese?
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I buy cheeeeeese. They have beautiful cheese there. A giant hunk of pecorino romano for $10. Woo hoo!

365 brand almond milk is cheap at $3.00

Nothing else I buy is whole foods specific, but they have wonderful produce.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I want to shop there!!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I go to the food court and have lunch first. Seriously I am much more restrained if I am not hungry. so I never shop at WF's with out eating. Then I hit the bulk bins first and then check to see if they have any produce on sale. The run specials every Friday so I check to see what the special is. If I have a bit of spare cash I may stock up on FAGE. If you buy a case of anything you get 5 or 10% off (forget which). I also check out what local food items they are selling.

Not sure how far into PA you come, but my favorite store in my area is the Plymouth Meeting one. It's huge!

I also get their newsletter online. Great tips and recipes.
  • Amberchalon
    Amberchalon Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I always get the organic red lentils in bulk for 1.19 a pound as well as the quinoa. Black lentils are good too, they are closer to 3.39 a pound