Weighing less at night?

Options
I've always heard to weigh in the morning because you will weigh the least then, something about center of gravity shift from lying down all night right? But I consistently weigh MORE in the mornings than I do at night? Any ideas on this?

Replies

• rmalford
    rmalford Posts: 58
    Options
    Might want to check your data. Gaining weight without taking in mass of ome sort makes no sence which is normally the result of errors. The theory on overnight loss involves concerning energy to work, not "gravitational" effects!
  • MisanthropeKitty
    Options
    Might want to check your data. Gaining weight without taking in mass of ome sort makes no sence which is normally the result of errors. The theory on overnight loss involves concerning energy to work, not "gravitational" effects!

I don't get it either... I use the same scale and I usually do my weight three times to make sure it reads the same each time. The only thing I can guess is I am better hydrated by nighttime??? I don't know if that would have anything to do with it?
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself at night and morning so I can get an idea of how much fluctuation is normal throughout the day, but what's really fun is weighing before and after taking a huge dump. As far as weighing less at night than in the morning, something had to get in there to add weight. I know if I don't get enough calories, I have food dreams at night. They can be very vivid. I don't think I'm a sleepwalker though. I'm pretty sure it's possible to sleep eat. A more likely possibility could be that your scale is messed up though.
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was going to start this topic! I've gone to bed at night and weighed one amount, woken up in the morning and weighed 1-2kgs heavier. Where did the weight come from?!?
  • mitchipooo
    mitchipooo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    That's a puzzle, over the years I've been doing it (with the same scale, a Tanita bodyfat percentage one) I'm consistently heavier at the end of the day. I use my just before bed weigh in for MFP to give a true reading. Generally I'll be twoish pounds lighter if I weigh first thing in the am. I also don't tend to weigh myself the same day as a big workout.
  • Rizabees
    Rizabees Posts: 80
    Options
    Do you pee before you weigh yourself?
  • Drevious
    Drevious Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself so much.....

Something else to think about: Electrolytes!!! Not having balanced electrolytes can cause crazy weight shifts, especially during the night. See if a coconut water, Gatorade, or other electrolyte drink in the morning makes your weight loss even out over time.

I used to weigh myself many times a day and all it did was get me stuck on the number! Now I only weigh myself once a week now and try to focus on eating healthy and exercising. But honestly if you can, join me in weighing in once a week. I weigh myself on Friday morning so I know how much fun (i.e. beer) I can have over the weekend.
  • naku
    naku Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Same here! Always have, probably always will. No idea why though, but I don't really mind.
  • rmalford
    rmalford Posts: 58
    Options
    I hear other reporting the same thing, but it is as likely as the sun deciding to rise in the west. You cannot create mass without input any more than a bowl of water can weight more if left overnight. Might put a standard weight on the scales nite and morn and see if it is calibrated. At any rate fluctuations occur but so far have pretty much followed a trend line in my case. Not sure if you can see my progress, but I find it interesting. I've been weight consistently first thing in the morning.

Just began the program, btw, and I am finding it very motivating and actually fairly easy. Once I became aware of how many calories you can "unconsciously" consume on misc items....

Cheers and best of luck.