Thinking of increasing my workout...any suggestions

Options
I have been working out pretty ok but I think I should increase the time I workout per day to reach my goals and see the results I want to see.... What are some of you guys doing? I have knee problems and more than 100 lbs to lose, so the types of exercises that I can do are somewhat limited but I'm willing to try.....:smile:

Replies

• toffeewaffle
    toffeewaffle Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    From someone who has lower limb lymphedema of both legs, and surgery 3 times on one knee and 2 times on one ankle I know what you mean by knee problems. I know the pain in the butt it is.

What I do is I walk at least a mile a day. I started off slow. I drove around my building and figured it was 2 tenths of a mile. So I had to go around the building 5 times for it to be a mile.

Week 1) was just once around. Not much but it was still something.

Week 2) I pushed for 2 times around. (Wasn't easy at first but I got it by week 3)

Week 3) Was still just 2 times around

Week 4) Was 3 times around

Week 5) was 4 times around

Week 6) Was 5 times around.

Week 15) Was 5 times around and 1 flight of stairs. (Before this I was lucky if I could do 3 steps of the stairs)

As you can see I slowly increase activity.
  • takelia
    takelia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much; really helpful & encouraging info-good for you with the stairs; I know they can seem like an insurmountable enemy ;)
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    These are some of my favorites

1. Walk away the Pounds DVD by Leslie Sansone. When I have any body ailment I always can walk. Yes she is annoying so I mute her and listen to my iPod.

2. Qi Gong DVD by lee Holden. Not a big calorie burner but is extremely relaxing and stretches your muscles with a mild low impact workout.

3. Hoopdancing! My favorite by far. I have lost 30 pounds doing it. www.hoopnotica.com for adult hoops or make your own. Great for back aches and pains. go on youtube and look up Safire Sandra and Rich Porter or Babz Robinson. They are so motivating and inspirational.

I have also tried all Jillian Michael Videos, Tony Hortons dvds and tae bo. I adore tae bo but not if you have knee issues.

Do you have a dog in your life? If not adopt, dogsit or dognap one and take him/her for a walk around the block. :)

Oh hulu.com and netflix and youtube have some workouts just look them up and give them a try.

Good luck and keep up the awesomeness. :smile:
  • GeneaCindy
    GeneaCindy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool - aqua aerobics is a great way to get in a workout. I also do water walking on my own -not on top of the water :)

Good luck!
  • takelia
    Options
    Thanks! I actually own a Leslie DVD, I had forgotten about it; thanks for all the wonderful ideas; I'm going to look the videos up tomorrow-I wish u much success!
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    how about lower impact exercises, like riding a stationary bike or water aerobics, or even just swimming at your own pace? that would prevent you from putting too much pressure on your joints in the meantime until you're ready to start incorporating newer formats :)
  • takelia
    Options
    I can go to the local Y; thanks for the suggestion; it's amazing what you know but dont consider until someone else mentions it; 2 heads really are better than 1 :)
  • takelia
    Options
    I'll have my husband to unpack it tomorrow! I hid it away after my last failed attempt at weight loss...I really appreciate the support! Good luck to u! :)