Eye Opener

Options
I often make breakfast burritos on weekends for me and for my wife.

This morning I decided I'd actually count the calories, but before I bought all the stuff I decided to get smaller tortillas and use less of every ingredient.

Calculated and it came out to 450 calories, which for me is just fine for a breakfast meal but that made me realize the regular one must be high...so I calculated what it would have been for the regular burrito and it came out to 670 cals. Add to this I usually buy a large bottled frap, which is 300 more cals. 970 cals just starting a day...no wonder I got myself in this shape.

I decided to walk to the coffeehouse again--I come here to work on my second novel, the sequel to the first one. Today being Halloween makes it a perfect day for that, since it's a fantasy.

While walking here I thought to myself that if I can just use MFP daily for at least a year or more, it would make a tremendous difference, because I always do better when I log my food here. This is my 3rd time returning, and usually I only manage a month of counting before I burn out.

Wondering if anyone has thoughts about what to do in those times when you feel burned out from recording this info. Do you think we need to commit to a lifetime of recording the food we eat one way or another?

Replies

• vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I am often shocked by how many calories are actually in things (especially when I eat out). I had chicken pot pie when we went out with friends Tuesday and found it was almost 1000 calories. Yep, I was over already. It's best to eat at home and enter everything before I eat.

Another thing that causes me to get discouraged is when I stay in my calorie limit for a couple of weeks and don't lose even a pound.

Yes, keeping the food journal gets monotomous, but determination gets me through.
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    It's my opinion, and I'm speaking only for myself, that if I were to ever hit my goal weight, I would have to continue counting calories to maintain. The fact is, after eating a certain way for so long, you SHOULD be able to visualize your portions and subconciously make healthy choices, but I know I would start sneaking in an extra bite here, a half cup more there, and then eventually I'd grab seconds and would be totally lost. So, for me, I think lifelong calorie counting is to be expected... and I think I'm finally starting to accept that.

Where can we find info on your first book?
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to feel the same. Perhaps the tedious boredom of counting is just an acceptable aspect of a healthy lifestyle, if that's what it takes.

:)

You can read the first two chapters of my book for free at www.thegoblinroad.com. If you get hooked, there's a "Buy the Book!" link. :)

I'm only in a handful of bookstores right now, so the web site's the easiest way.
  • kasuki
    kasuki Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have been on maintance for 1 1/2 years and still log everyday. I am not as careful with the kinds of food I eat now and if I didn't log daily I would most certainly start putting wait back on. I enjoy coming to this site daily ,so for me it has just become part of my every day way of living a healthy life and no big deal. I plan on doing this for the rest of my life because it is so easy to go back to my old ways even after being her for almost 2 years.
    Karen
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Personally speaking I had to become obsessed with recording my calories, and with learning about nutrition during the first three months. There is no other word to describe it other than obsession. I was on MPF constantly, I read every post. I got into the habit of recording every single thing I put in my mouth.

Now I"m not as obsessive, I've calmed down a lot, but I still record every single thing I put in my mouth. If I'm not near a computer I write it down so I can record it as soon as I get near one - and I fully intend to record calories for the rest of my life in one form or another.

Doing this gives me the control that I must have over what's going into my body. It's essential to my success in weight loss, and I'm sure it will become essential to me keeping the weight off, which I fully intend to do.

I have made this a priority in my life, because it's important for my quality of life.

And Goblin's book is great!!!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    It's my opinion, and I'm speaking only for myself, that if I were to ever hit my goal weight, I would have to continue counting calories to maintain. The fact is, after eating a certain way for so long, you SHOULD be able to visualize your portions and subconciously make healthy choices, but I know I would start sneaking in an extra bite here, a half cup more there, and then eventually I'd grab seconds and would be totally lost. So, for me, I think lifelong calorie counting is to be expected... and I think I'm finally starting to accept that.

Where can we find info on your first book?

I'm the same way...I've lost and gained the same 50 lbs so often that I know I'm going to always have to keep a very watchful eye on my calories.